• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, s14roller said:

Very cool, thanks for sharing. 

Makes me wonder, of the existing owners, who would still be on the list if those 275 never existed...

It would be kind of cool (albeit a bit creepy) to find the last 275 orders. (weren't these primarily sold via mail?)

Would like to get everyone's opinion:

Do you think I should get a TMNT #1, 1st printing signed on the cover or not? (only Eastman and Laird, of course)

It's such a nice cover and I don't know if it's bad, long term, or better to have the signatures certified by CGC.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

13 minutes ago, Wystan said:

Do you think I should get a TMNT #1, 1st printing signed on the cover or not? (only Eastman and Laird, of course)

It's such a nice cover and I don't know if it's bad, long term, or better to have the signatures certified by CGC.

If your going to get them signed, then have cgc witness the sigs definitely to get a yellow label.

I say get a blue label.

It really is your choice and preference! Do what your gut tells you. 

Again if you decide to get them signed, get them cgc witnessed otherwise it may hurt value, if that is a concern....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

9 hours ago, Wystan said:

I would skip it entirely or if you must, ask them to sign the interior cover like they used to. The cover is 90% of the appeal of a book and to have some scribbled writing in big thick silver or whatever color is a travesty, imho. I know some people love signatures but I track sales of TMNT #1 1st prints in high grade and, at least for now, they add 0 value to this book.

Looking at AF covers where Stan Lee signs the middle of it I just shake my head. And people value that!

I would not have it signed.  While I prefer nice signatures on books, I think the signatures from Kevin Eastman on the side don't look great.  One of the few books where I prefer no sig (unless interior page).  Would be cool to have one that is certified yellow label for interior page signature and if you took a picture of it.

On 7/12/2018 at 8:44 AM, GM8 said:

That was quick, now $8,500 w/ Buyer's Premium (BP) : $10,200.00.

For reference, the last two sales of 9.6's I have went for $14.3K on 2/23/18 and $26.3K on 11/17/17, both also Heritage auctions. My best guess is that this one sells for around $18K.

Now $11,000 w/ Buyer's Premium (BP) : $13,200.00.   5 days remain.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7189-91162.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

On 7/23/2018 at 9:43 PM, Wystan said:

Personally I prefer the number 1’s without the yellow label, looks cleaner and, imo, better...

but it boils down to what you like

I have been looking for a good place to start contributing to the forum and this thread is for sure the place. I have two copies of Turtles 1 first printings a 8.5 and a 9.2 both with white pages.  The 9.2 is the copy that was discussed a few pages back in this thread and that sold for $8600 in May. It was a book I could not pass up as it was a Minnesota seller, I am a Minnesota buyer. It ended up that the book had a great story as the family who had it searched a long time when the book initially came out.  It had been in their possession the entire time and was stored as part of a large comic collection. Sometime before the sale they found out the the value and figured that money could be put to good use including expanding their comic collection. My wife and I met the family and it was not easy for them to give the book up.  The 9.2 is an amazing copy and I am very happy it is part of my collection. I would like to acquire higher grades later on but with the story of the 9.2 it won't be going anywhere anytime soon. It does seem to have defects that are good press candidates but I am in no rush to re-submit it at this point. Looking forward to talking to you all and seeing what the future holds for Turtles 1!

On 7/28/2018 at 11:48 PM, gran0297 said:

I have been looking for a good place to start contributing to the forum and this thread is for sure the place. I have two copies of Turtles 1 first printings a 8.5 and a 9.2 both with white pages.  The 9.2 is the copy that was discussed a few pages back in this thread and that sold for $8600 in May. It was a book I could not pass up as it was a Minnesota seller, I am a Minnesota buyer. It ended up that the book had a great story as the family who had it searched a long time when the book initially came out.  It had been in their possession the entire time and was stored as part of a large comic collection. Sometime before the sale they found out the the value and figured that money could be put to good use including expanding their comic collection. My wife and I met the family and it was not easy for them to give the book up.  The 9.2 is an amazing copy and I am very happy it is part of my collection. I would like to acquire higher grades later on but with the story of the 9.2 it won't be going anywhere anytime soon. It does seem to have defects that are good press candidates but I am in no rush to re-submit it at this point. Looking forward to talking to you all and seeing what the future holds for Turtles 1!

Sweet deal :)

welcome to the boards!

On 7/28/2018 at 7:20 AM, GM8 said:

Currently at $19,200 including BP.  Is that where it ends? hm

Edited by valiantman

4 hours ago, valiantman said:
On 7/28/2018 at 7:20 AM, GM8 said:

Currently at $19,200 including BP.  Is that where it ends? hm

Yep, final CGC 9.6 price was $19,200 including BP.  Looks like it was almost exactly half of the $38,240 for the CGC 9.8 from May 2018.

3 hours ago, Icculus308win said:

What if this book sold at another auction house or site? 

Would it have sold for $15,300, or gone for (almost) $4,000 more for $19,200?

Hard to say. I think Heritage gets a certain type of collector who may not bother with sites like Ebay. Their scans give buyers a chance to view a book magnified. That's not as important for $200 books, but closer to $20,000 people want confidence in the seller and the item.

I think all the auction houses can claim "record prices" for certain books at different times, so it's clear that some buyers will pay what it takes to own a book regardless of the venue.

The Heritage price without the buyer's premium is meaningless. The book sold for $19,200. Who gets paid what percentage of that $19,200 doesn't change what it took to get it.

$19,200 seems like a great finish for this book.  Hate to ever chime in while the auction is going with anything too negative but this one looked like a pretty soft 9.6, couple ticks on the upper left spine and some very minor bindery defects.  I don't have a problem calling it a 9.6 because its super sharp in all other respects, but this one could pretty easily be called a 9.4 too.

16 hours ago, valiantman said:

Yep, final CGC 9.6 price was $19,200 including BP.  Looks like it was almost exactly half of the $38,240 for the CGC 9.8 from May 2018.

Good observation, that ratio is common with the CGC grades. Uptick in grades are often doubling of prices.

A good sale though, keeps the trend going. That person who got the 26K for the 9.6 really did well in retrospect.