• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,735 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

What do u plan to do with them in the future to prevent counterfeits? Donate to a museum or something?

No plans at the moment other than getting them signed by more Mirage Studios artists in the near future.  I have no plans to donate them...my collection is a great place for them.  ;)  They are in my possession so there's no chance they could be used for counterfeiting.  

8 hours ago, rich_TMNT said:

No plans at the moment other than getting them signed by more Mirage Studios artists in the near future.  I have no plans to donate them...my collection is a great place for them.  ;)  They are in my possession so there's no chance they could be used for counterfeiting.  

okay cool... you could single handily destroy all the TMNT first print market with those things...lol... I guess if true replicas could be made then all the true slabbed first prints with be worthless

A 9.2 sold at a discount on Ebay for $7500. This copy last traded less than a year ago in august of 2018 for $9,000 also on ebay. Recent sales of 9.2's were $8600 in April, 11,251 on 9/1/18 and the $9,000 on 8/31/18.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-1st-Print-First-CGC-9-2-WHITE-Pages-TMNT-1984-/293150640149?hash=item444123c815%3Ag%3A3PAAAOSwPUVdJ3PU&nma=true&si=ix6kiJfF1Eja%2B7wIKYMfmCArk4I%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

On 6/6/2019 at 1:03 PM, GM8 said:

A 9.8 is coming to auction over on Heritage on 7/12. This one looks like its first time being publicly sold (at least going back to 2005 where my data starts). It's one of only 28 9.8's out there, according to the CGC census (24 Universal, 1 Qualified, 3 SS). Last sales were $38.2K on 5/12/18 and $35.8K on 2/23/18.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/p/7211-78003.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Any guesses what the final price is (including buyer's premium)?  In my opinion, it tops the last sale and gets into the $50K area due to strength in the recent auction of the Turtlemania gold as well as length of time since a 9.8 TMNT #1 has been on the market. The US equities market overall strength helps also.

This one is out of the gate and running. Already w/ Buyer's Premium (BP) : $25,200.00. 16 days left. 

What's your best guess where this one will land? Spiderturtle thinks it will be higher than previous sales of $38,240 and $35,850. I think it will be significantly higher, around $50K since we haven't seen one listed at auction for over a year, stock market highs, and the recent astronomical sale of a Turtlemania gold. We will see!

3 hours ago, GM8 said:

This one is out of the gate and running. Already w/ Buyer's Premium (BP) : $25,200.00. 16 days left. 

What's your best guess where this one will land? Spiderturtle thinks it will be higher than previous sales of $38,240 and $35,850. I think it will be significantly higher, around $50K since we haven't seen one listed at auction for over a year, stock market highs, and the recent astronomical sale of a Turtlemania gold. We will see!

It would take two potential buyers to believe it's worth $50K to have it go there.  Just one serious buyer at $50K and another at $38K will have it ending just over $38K.  Prices are driven by the one who ends up with nothing. :grin:

8 hours ago, valiantman said:

It would take two potential buyers to believe it's worth $50K to have it go there.  Just one serious buyer at $50K and another at $38K will have it ending just over $38K.  Prices are driven by the one who ends up with nothing. :grin:

Just out of curiosity, if say this book goes around 38k to mid 40k range,  would this be a better book to own vs a very similar priced IH181 white pages...which one book to own and hold for say 10+years?

13 hours ago, GM8 said:

I'll say.... 48k.

9 hours ago, carefulsum said:

Just out of curiosity, if say this book goes around 38k to mid 40k range,  would this be a better book to own vs a very similar priced IH181 white pages...which one book to own and hold for say 10+years?

That's a good question. IH181 has done very well, as has TMNT1 more recently. If I had to guess %-wise increase where each one would be in 10+ years I'd go TMNT1. Wolverine will always be popular and with the Marvel universe, he'll keep gaining new fans every generation. But the MU is big and fans are fickle. Look how strong X-Men were 10 years ago and now its all Avengers. TMNT is owned by Nickelodeon and their heyday was with 90's kids who will be at their peak economic power in the future.

7 hours ago, GM8 said:
17 hours ago, carefulsum said:

That's a good question. IH181 has done very well, as has TMNT1 more recently. If I had to guess %-wise increase where each one would be in 10+ years I'd go TMNT1. Wolverine will always be popular and with the Marvel universe, he'll keep gaining new fans every generation. But the MU is big and fans are fickle. Look how strong X-Men were 10 years ago and now its all Avengers. TMNT is owned by Nickelodeon and their heyday was with 90's kids who will be at their peak economic power in the future.

TMNT #1 is sort of a "perfect book" since it is the first appearance of a household name that everyone from age 3 to 83 can probably identify. Secondly, they made 3,275 copies. That's lower than even Amazing Fantasy #15 levels of "rare" now, even if every copy still exists. There are already 12,000 copies of Hulk #181 on the CGC census and more than 3,000 copies of Amazing Fantasy #15 on the CGC census.  There will never be more than 3,275 TMNT #1, ever. Some are definitely trashed either literally or figuratively since it's from 35 years ago.

The only "downside" to TMNT #1 that I can see is that it's an odd size.  It's too big for a standard CGC slab, so it stands out if someone owns TMNT #1 and no other magazine-sized slabs.  Maybe the OCD among us (and there are many) don't want a book that size in their collection. That could change, though, since there are lots of other magazines worth collecting and even brand new books like Batman Damned #1 are getting magazine-sized slabs into collections that might have only had standard size until now.  Having a "full set" of TMNT #1 through #4 would be a small stack of magazine-sized slabs, even if they were the only ones in a collection. That's easier to handle (if you're OCD) than a single weird size slab.

On 7/16/2019 at 1:22 PM, valiantman said:

Well I'll have to revise my # now, since there's 2 9.8's on Heritage now. This new listing was a copy previously (or maybe still) owned by nick_bridger of ebay fame. It was listed as sold on ebay back on 12/28/17 for $30.2K, although I messaged with him and he said that the buyer flaked and he 2nd chance offered it to someone for $24K. Either way, it doesn't effect the market value of this book, since sales following this have established $35-38K as the latest price range for this book.

But with the second copy now up, I revise my estimate for the listing already on auction (currently at $26K) to $40K. Here's the upcoming listing:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/p/7212-26001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by GM8

12 minutes ago, GM8 said:
On 7/16/2019 at 12:22 PM, valiantman said:

Well I'll have to revise my # now, since there's 2 9.8's on Heritage now. This new listing was a copy previously (or maybe still) owned by nick_bridger of ebay fame. It was listed as sold on ebay back on 12/28/17 for $30.2K, although I messaged with him and he said that the buyer flaked and he 2nd chance offered it to someone for $24K. Either way, it doesn't effect the market value of this book, since sales following this have established $35-38K as the latest price range for this book.

But with the second copy now up, I revise my estimate for the listing already on auction (currently at $26K) to $40K. Here's the upcoming listing:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/p/7212-26001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Interesting! hm

26 years ago, I was "just a kid" and I remember being amazed that one of the headlines on one of my price guides said "It's An All-Time Record! SPIDEY brings $40,000!"

Image result for overstreet comic monthly 1993

It's safe to say that was likely a very nice high grade copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 and it's also safe to say that book is worth $500,000+ today.

There are fewer copies of TMNT #1.

That is all. lol

I think I'm going to finally sell my copy unfortunately due to hard times. It's always been my most prized comic even when I had a lot of Golden Age and Silver Age slabbed keys. You guys have any idea what I can expect to get for it?

There are some scuffs on the case on the back, not on the book and there's a crack in the side of the case as you can see in the third picture.

D22E679C-F25A-4449-9E92-6D07F46CCD79.jpeg

71494FBA-45F0-43CB-ACFD-656CB076890C.jpeg

6D98129A-CEF5-4E7D-9BC1-731FE68F2AC2.jpeg

Now this one I don't know what to say. First of all the "previous owner" had the thing signed by KE in the "80's". The marker used and style looks more like 2000's or later to me. KE and PL used to sign in thin pens back in the day - I don't know when exactly they started using these fat-tipped, light color markers but I didn't notice them until at least starting in the 2000's. Plus the photo of KE looks much later than the 80's. My point being that his description about how noone should ever open this first print is a little concerning.  Hmmm..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-TURTLES-1-First-Print-Signed-Mirage-1984-TMNT-FRAMED/283555849012?hash=item42053ee334:g:TCMAAOSwY7hdNL~G