• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,735 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, jlcinKY81 said:

You guys have any idea what I can expect to get for it?

A white page 8.5 sold last December for $7500. I would ask for that. A couple other 8.5s have sold the past year for $5600 and $6000 but there's no need to discount mega keys.

15 hours ago, GM8 said:

Now this one I don't know what to say. First of all the "previous owner" had the thing signed by KE in the "80's". The marker used and style looks more like 2000's or later to me. KE and PL used to sign in thin pens back in the day - I don't know when exactly they started using these fat-tipped, light color markers but I didn't notice them until at least starting in the 2000's. Plus the photo of KE looks much later than the 80's. My point being that his description about how noone should ever open this first print is a little concerning.  Hmmm..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-TURTLES-1-First-Print-Signed-Mirage-1984-TMNT-FRAMED/283555849012?hash=item42053ee334:g:TCMAAOSwY7hdNL~G

@GM8  Yeah, lots of red flags in the listing description.  "...never was opened and should not be."  "AS IS NO RETURNS SORRY."  "...they told me once we frame it we recommend you don't take it out again...So I never did."  "Please buy with confidence... I just never had the time to get it graded."   

With a TMNT #1, a little time means $$.  Looks legit from pics but I wouldn't touch this for $18.5K without back cover and interior page pics.  

23 hours ago, GM8 said:

Now this one I don't know what to say. First of all the "previous owner" had the thing signed by KE in the "80's". The marker used and style looks more like 2000's or later to me. KE and PL used to sign in thin pens back in the day - I don't know when exactly they started using these fat-tipped, light color markers but I didn't notice them until at least starting in the 2000's. Plus the photo of KE looks much later than the 80's. My point being that his description about how noone should ever open this first print is a little concerning.  Hmmm..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-TURTLES-1-First-Print-Signed-Mirage-1984-TMNT-FRAMED/283555849012?hash=item42053ee334:g:TCMAAOSwY7hdNL~G

red flags for sure

On 7/21/2019 at 7:51 PM, jlcinKY81 said:

I think I'm going to finally sell my copy unfortunately due to hard times. It's always been my most prized comic even when I had a lot of Golden Age and Silver Age slabbed keys. You guys have any idea what I can expect to get for it?

There are some scuffs on the case on the back, not on the book and there's a crack in the side of the case as you can see in the third picture.

D22E679C-F25A-4449-9E92-6D07F46CCD79.jpeg

71494FBA-45F0-43CB-ACFD-656CB076890C.jpeg

6D98129A-CEF5-4E7D-9BC1-731FE68F2AC2.jpeg

let the market decide... put it up for auction

im guessing you will get more then 6k

On 7/22/2019 at 11:39 PM, rich_TMNT said:
On 7/22/2019 at 7:46 AM, GM8 said:

@GM8  Yeah, lots of red flags in the listing description.  "...never was opened and should not be."  "AS IS NO RETURNS SORRY."  "...they told me once we frame it we recommend you don't take it out again...So I never did."  "Please buy with confidence... I just never had the time to get it graded."   

With a TMNT #1, a little time means $$.  Looks legit from pics but I wouldn't touch this for $18.5K without back cover and interior page pics.  

I wouldn't go for it even for $200, despite knowing he paid $100 just for the framing.  That book, likely a reprint, is glued into that frame or somehow damaged by the framing.  Damaged reprint, not signed in the 80's... yeah, $200 would be too much.

21 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I wouldn't go for it even for $200, despite knowing he paid $100 just for the framing.  That book, likely a reprint, is glued into that frame or somehow damaged by the framing.  Damaged reprint, not signed in the 80's... yeah, $200 would be too much.

@valiantman  I'm with you on this 100%.  But, damage or not, it's not a first printing and, in fact, isn't ANY of the first three printings. Due to the framing dimensions, you can completely tell the dimensions of the book itself are modern comic book dimensions and NOT oversized as the 1st, 2nd, 3rd prints are - it's way too narrow.  Plus, in looking at one of the pictures, you can see a glare coming off of the cover indicating it's a very glossy cover.  While TMNT #1 wasn't necessarily matte, it wasn't that glossy.  However, the TMNT #1 reprint (modern-sized) included in the Ultimate Visual History (2014 version) did have a glossy cover that is identical to the one seen in this auction.  That reprint book was being sold online for hundreds of dollars and people were buying it for that...a book you could easily get for $25 from Barnes & Noble.  I'm nearly positive that is actually what's in this frame...the free reprint book included with the 2014 Ultimate Visual History book.  This is the inside of that book...and I wouldn't touch this book without seeing the inside front cover first (at minimum).  I'm betting this guy either got scammed himself and is trying to flip it to unsuspecting buyers OR he knowingly bought this and put it in a frame to hide his devious shenanigans.  

3 minutes ago, rich_TMNT said:
43 minutes ago, valiantman said:

@valiantman  I'm with you on this 100%.  But, damage or not, it's not a first printing and, in fact, isn't ANY of the first three printings. Due to the framing dimensions, you can completely tell the dimensions of the book itself are modern comic book dimensions and NOT oversized as the 1st, 2nd, 3rd prints are - it's way too narrow.  Plus, in looking at one of the pictures, you can see a glare coming off of the cover indicating it's a very glossy cover.  While TMNT #1 wasn't necessarily matte, it wasn't that glossy.  However, the TMNT #1 reprint (modern-sized) included in the Ultimate Visual History (2014 version) did have a glossy cover that is identical to the one seen in this auction.  That reprint book was being sold online for hundreds of dollars and people were buying it for that...a book you could easily get for $25 from Barnes & Noble.  I'm nearly positive that is actually what's in this frame...the free reprint book included with the 2014 Ultimate Visual History book.  This is the inside of that book...and I wouldn't touch this book without seeing the inside front cover first (at minimum).  I'm betting this guy either got scammed himself and is trying to flip it to unsuspecting buyers OR he knowingly bought this and put it in a frame to hide his devious shenanigans.  

Judging from what he's selling on Ebay, he is a regular seller of knock-offs (jerseys, band t-shirts) and this TMNT #1 is just a standard scam among many (though it is currently his highest priced item).

20 hours ago, valiantman said:

Judging from what he's selling on Ebay, he is a regular seller of knock-offs (jerseys, band t-shirts) and this TMNT #1 is just a standard scam among many (though it is currently his highest priced item).

Plus, he dropped the price by thousands in the last day or so.  I'm betting he'll continue to do so until it sells.  I'm going to ping him to see if he'll show me a picture of the inside.  If not, I'll call him out.  

UPDATE:  I contacted the seller asking for the dimensions of the book and, if possible, interior images.  In true scammer form, sis response was, "I'm sorry I'm not going to open the frame please read description"   So, I responded asking just for the dimensions, which I stated didn't require him to do anything but put a ruler to the glass.  His response, "I can provide dimensions of the frame but won't take the comic out of the frame."   LOL   This dude is so full of .  
Anyway, I told him I knew what this book was and that he's knowingly lying about it - especially now since I just informed him what the book was and he won't provide the book dimensions.  So, he can't use the "I didn't know" card anymore.  

His response, "Thank you for your concerns and feedback I will look into it more thanks again have a great day."    Look into it would be the best thing to do...open it and LOOK inside.  :) 

UPDATE 2:  Seller has now relisted to reflect what this book actually is.  But he's still asking about $12,500 too much for it.

Edited by rich_TMNT

21 hours ago, rich_TMNT said:

Plus, he dropped the price by thousands in the last day or so.  I'm betting he'll continue to do so until it sells.  I'm going to ping him to see if he'll show me a picture of the inside.  If not, I'll call him out.  

UPDATE:  I contacted the seller asking for the dimensions of the book and, if possible, interior images.  In true scammer form, sis response was, "I'm sorry I'm not going to open the frame please read description"   So, I responded asking just for the dimensions, which I stated didn't require him to do anything but put a ruler to the glass.  His response, "I can provide dimensions of the frame but won't take the comic out of the frame."   LOL   This dude is so full of .  
Anyway, I told him I knew what this book was and that he's knowingly lying about it - especially now since I just informed him what the book was and he won't provide the book dimensions.  So, he can't use the "I didn't know" card anymore.  

His response, "Thank you for your concerns and feedback I will look into it more thanks again have a great day."    Look into it would be the best thing to do...open it and LOOK inside.  :) 

UPDATE 2:  Seller has now relisted to reflect what this book actually is.  But he's still asking about $12,500 too much for it.

Noticed he relisted with an update that this is the 2014 reprint. So how does he walk back the "I bought this in the 80's from a collector"?

1 minute ago, Blastaar said:

Noticed he relisted with an update that this is the 2014 reprint. So how does he walk back the "I bought this in the 80's from a collector"?

@BlastaarYes, isn't that interesting.  Given his prior responses to my questions, I bet if you asked him about that he'd probably respond with a "I meant in the $80 range - not the 1980's."  Lol.  And, even then, he'd have overpaid.  

On 7/24/2019 at 12:45 PM, rich_TMNT said:

I'm really surprised he is admitting it is the 2014 reprint.  Unless he's hoping to convince someone that "first appearances" are still "first appearances" when they're reprints of "first appearances". lol

hm

Suddenly I'm reminding myself that Saga #1 'RRP' variant is a six months later reprint of a "first appearance" that does sell for more than the real thing... and Superman: Man of Steel #18 4th, 5th prints. 

hm hm

Oh, wait.  Now I remember... the industry decided that rare > real.

:flipbait:

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

I'm really surprised he is admitting it is the 2014 reprint.  Unless he's hoping to convince someone that "first appearances" are still "first appearances" when they're reprints of "first appearances". lol

hm

Suddenly I'm reminding myself that Saga #1 'RRP' variant is a six months later reprint of a "first appearance" that does sell for more than the real thing... and Superman: Man of Steel #18 4th, 5th prints. 

hm hm

Oh, wait.  Now I remember... the industry decided that rare > real.

:flipbait:

I am a bit surprised at him still thinking this is worth thousands of dollars. 

6 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Annnnnnddd it's ended.

Nice work guys, looks like the attention made him cave. At least someone isn't out thousands for that garbage.

3 minutes ago, GM8 said:

Annnnnnddd it's ended.

Nice work guys, looks like the attention made him cave. At least someone isn't out thousands for that garbage.

@GM8  The original listing has ended but he relisted it (which is still up as of me posting this).  It's still the same price as before but he's edited the title and description to reflect what it actually is.  

1 minute ago, rich_TMNT said:

@GM8  The original listing has ended but he relisted it (which is still up as of me posting this).  It's still the same price as before but he's edited the title and description to reflect what it actually is.  

Ok thanks, well that's as good a result. 

I will be getting my 2014 reprint signed by Eastman in September at the Granite State Comic Con. I won't be framing it but I will offer it for sale for only 10 grand. FYI. 

16 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I will be getting my 2014 reprint signed by Eastman in September at the Granite State Comic Con. I won't be framing it but I will offer it for sale for only 10 grand. FYI. 

Make sure you say it was signed in the '70s 

On 7/18/2019 at 10:40 AM, GM8 said:

Well I'll have to revise my # now, since there's 2 9.8's on Heritage now. This new listing was a copy previously (or maybe still) owned by nick_bridger of ebay fame. It was listed as sold on ebay back on 12/28/17 for $30.2K, although I messaged with him and he said that the buyer flaked and he 2nd chance offered it to someone for $24K. Either way, it doesn't effect the market value of this book, since sales following this have established $35-38K as the latest price range for this book.

But with the second copy now up, I revise my estimate for the listing already on auction (currently at $26K) to $40K. Here's the upcoming listing:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/p/7212-26001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

A little update on these two 9.8 first prints over on Heritage. This competing listing has had its start date changed to November 21, 2019. That's smart.

On 6/6/2019 at 1:03 PM, GM8 said:

A 9.8 is coming to auction over on Heritage on 7/12. This one looks like its first time being publicly sold (at least going back to 2005 where my data starts). It's one of only 28 9.8's out there, according to the CGC census (24 Universal, 1 Qualified, 3 SS). Last sales were $38.2K on 5/12/18 and $35.8K on 2/23/18.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/p/7211-78003.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Any guesses what the final price is (including buyer's premium)?  In my opinion, it tops the last sale and gets into the $50K area due to strength in the recent auction of the Turtlemania gold as well as length of time since a 9.8 TMNT #1 has been on the market. The US equities market overall strength helps also.

This one currently at auction is priced at $40,800 now with the buyer's premium. A record with 5 days remaining.

On 7/27/2019 at 4:31 AM, GM8 said:

This one currently at auction is priced at $40,800 now with the buyer's premium. A record with 5 days remaining.

Yep, already a record, but will be interesting to see if it goes any higher.  I've noticed in the last several HA auctions of 9.6s and 9.8s that the winning bid usually comes in a few days ahead of time, or there are at most 1 or 2 more bids when the auction goes live.  This is as opposed to GA books where you might see something at sitting at 10-20% of its final hammer price right up to when the live auction starts.

I wonder what if anything this says about the kind people who are bidding on a TMNT #1 first print vs other high dollar comics on HA.

18 hours ago, szav said:

Yep, already a record, but will be interesting to see if it goes any higher.  I've noticed in the last several HA auctions of 9.6s and 9.8s that the winning bid usually comes in a few days ahead of time, or there are at most 1 or 2 more bids when the auction goes live.  This is as opposed to GA books where you might see something at sitting at 10-20% of its final hammer price right up to when the live auction starts.

I wonder what if anything this says about the kind people who are bidding on a TMNT #1 first print vs other high dollar comics on HA.

Interesting observation. Probably the difference in the ages of the buyers.