• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,735 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, GM8 said:

The Heritage auction closed earlier than listed for $52,800, quite a bit lower than expected. Although with 2 others available right now, the water is very muddy, so to speak.

What was your expected price target on this book here, as many of the board members here thought this was actually a pretty strong price for the book?  hm

Especially considering the fact that there's already another 26 copies of this book graded in the same equivalent CGC 9.8 condition plus another 45 copies just one notch lower at CGC 9.6 which are probably getting the living daylights squashed out of them in hopes of attaining the much vaulted 9.8 grade.  Definitely no shortage of HG copies of this book here as there are already over 300 copies graded in CGC 9.0 condition or higher.  Plus the fact that there are probably still quite a few uber HG copies sitting out there in private collections that hasn't come close to a grading table yet.

Many board members are thinking more along the line of this since these are now starting to show up in virtually every single auction:

14 hours ago, carefulsum said:
20 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

lol

lol

lol

That's what I'm saying, the fella that bought it for 90K last auction I'm guessing isn't too happy right now. 

And then on the other hand, we have the opposing viewpoint:

14 hours ago, pubmonkey said:

I think he’ll be the one laughing in 2 to 3 years

I guess only time will tell as to which side is correct in terms of what direction this book will be heading longer term. hm  :taptaptap:

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

What was your expected price target on this book here, as many of the board members here thought this was actually a pretty strong price for the book?  hm

Especially considering the fact that there's already another 26 copies of this book graded in the same equivalent CGC 9.8 condition plus another 45 copies just one notch lower at CGC 9.6 which are probably getting the living daylights squashed out of them in hopes of attaining the much vaulted 9.8 grade.  Definitely no shortage of HG copies of this book here as there are already over 300 copies graded in CGC 9.0 condition or higher.  Plus the fact that there are probably still quite a few uber HG copies sitting out there in private collections that hasn't come close to a grading table yet.

Many board members are thinking more along the line of this since these are now starting to show up in virtually every single auction:

As I've stated, my price expectation for this sale (without competing books listed since they are fairly rare) was between $69K and $90K. Why? Well because one just sold for $90K and subsequent offers posted for other Heritage books have seen offers as high as $67.5K. I think the competing books really effected this latest Heritage auction.

Your interpretation of 30 copies being a lot I just flat out disagree with, particularly in a print run of 3,250 roughly. And speculation about there being lots of ungraded, very high grade copies sitting out there is unlikely in my opinion. In the past 2 or 3 years only a handful have been added to bring us to 30 9.8's.

But interpretations aside, it's all about price and now we have two relatively close (in time) sales of 90K and 52.8K. That's all that matters.

2 hours ago, GM8 said:

And speculation about there being lots of ungraded, very high grade copies sitting out there is unlikely in my opinion. In the past 2 or 3 years only a handful have been added to bring us to 30 9.8's.

From a collector's point of view, there's absolutely no reason at all to get a vintage collectible book graded unless it comes time to sell it.  hm

12 hours ago, Icculus308win said:

Well I was about $18K off with my $71,000 guess....I’ve done worse 😂 
(Huge congrats to the seller of the now infamous $90K copy) 

Now I’ll guess $61,000 for the C-Link 9.8

That may be very close to the last bid. But I'd have to guess it never reaches the reserve price. One buyer is already out of the market and there aren't many who can afford a 5 figure comic book. 

It's a similar situation to the 9.6 that sold on heritage not long ago for 26k, then multiple people listed theirs and the price fell back to 18's and 19's.

Edited by GM8

The Comic Link auction had some activity today, up to $48K, close to the hammer price on the last Heritage copy. There's 4 days left on this one but the reserve hasn't been reached yet.

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dteenage%20mutant%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1364734&id=1364734&itemType=0

Edited by GM8

13 hours ago, rabidwolf said:

The 9.4 went really low at 10.5k no?

For 2019, 9.4's there's been a few sales and this Clink one is on the low end of that range but in line with the most recent sales. I have heritage sales of $10.2k on 8/1 and $10.2k on 5/16, and $12.5k on 2/6 on ebay.

2 hours ago, GM8 said:

For 2019, 9.4's there's been a few sales and this Clink one is on the low end of that range but in line with the most recent sales. I have heritage sales of $10.2k on 8/1 and $10.2k on 5/16, and $12.5k on 2/6 on ebay.

Interesting because over the last few weeks a couple of 9.2s went for around 13k

On 11/23/2019 at 4:38 AM, Icculus308win said:

Try 50K final hammer.

1 hour ago, rabidwolf said:

Interesting because over the last few weeks a couple of 9.2s went for around 13k

On GPA the 2 recent sales of universal 9.4’s were OW/W and 2 recent 9.2’s were W    hm

4 hours ago, pubmonkey said:

On GPA the 2 recent sales of universal 9.4’s were OW/W and 2 recent 9.2’s were W    hm

Hmmm good point

but personally I will take 9.4s for cheaper prices than 9.2 anytime regardless of page quality barring brittle of course 

On 11/23/2019 at 7:45 AM, GM8 said:
On 11/22/2019 at 7:38 PM, Icculus308win said:

That may be very close to the last bid. But I'd have to guess it never reaches the reserve price. One buyer is already out of the market and there aren't many who can afford a 5 figure comic book. 

On 12/7/2019 at 7:40 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Try 50K final hammer.

Well, looks like the last bid was for $50K which was most likely also the reserve price. (thumbsu

Looks like this is probably around the current market price for this book in CGC 9.8, with that $90K HA result being a definite outlier at this current point in time.  hm

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:
On 12/7/2019 at 9:40 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Try 50K final hammer.

Well, looks like the last bid was for $50K which was most likely also the reserve price. (thumbsu

Looks like this is probably around the current market price for this book in CGC 9.8, with that $90K HA result being a definite outlier at this current point in time.  hm

Considering zero copies had ever reached $40,000 (according to GPA) before 2019, multiple sales at $50K and above represents a significant single year jump (even if you ignore then $90K sale).

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Considering zero copies had ever reached $40,000 (according to GPA) before 2019, multiple sales at $50K and above represents a significant single year jump (even if you ignore then $90K sale).

Yes, I believe it needs some price consolidation before jumping to the next valuation level, as I really see that $90K auction result as more of an outlier than anything else.  (thumbsu