• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

That's fantastic that you took the time and went through all of the trouble to contact CC on this book and then post your findings to keep all of us in the loop.  :applause:

Thanks, they're usually good about getting back.

Since you think the CL sale back in December might possibly have fallen through, then this means the only 2 completed sales for TMNT 1 in CGC 9.8 both took place at Heritage, with the August 2019 copy going for $90K and the November 2019 copy going for $52,800.

The CL sale that ended on December 5, 2019 was not completed. The same book is now for sale again at CL currently at auction.

Previous:

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dteenage%20mutant%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1364734&id=1364734&itemType=0

New:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FPreviewCode%3D2020june%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3DTurtles%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1404932&id=1404932&itemType=0#detail

As a result, it will definitely be interesting to see where this copy goes for and see if it is closer to the $90K range or back in the $50K+ range where the last Heritage copy was and also whenever the last CC copy sold.  I guess only time will tell as it has been sitting there at $42K with only a few more weeks to go.  hm  :taptaptap:

Yes,  we're at 42K with 18 days remaining. We'll see if the buyer pays this time! They should ban whoever won it in December and never paid, that's for certain.

I went onto GoCollect and noticed that the sale has now been removed and I received a PM from a boardie saying that it has also been removed from the GPA records.  (thumbsu

Good.

3 hours ago, GM8 said:

As I had alluded to in a previous post up above, is there any chance that the December CL sale might have actually been completed and the buyer is simply putting the book back out their in either an attempted flip for profit or to recoup some of his money back in this pandemic crunch?  (shrug)

Personally, I don't think so since this December TMNT 1 auction result is no longer showing up in any of their CL highlights which is something they definitely would be promoting the heck out of if it had actually gone through successfully.  :devil:

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

As I had alluded to in a previous post up above, is there any chance that the December CL sale might have actually been completed and the buyer is simply putting the book back out their in either an attempted flip for profit or to recoup some of his money back in this pandemic crunch?  (shrug)

Personally, I don't think so since this December TMNT 1 auction result is no longer showing up in any of their CL highlights which is something they definitely would be promoting the heck out of if it had actually gone through successfully.  :devil:

Well, I just messaged Jason and per CL the December sale at $50K is legitimate. The buyer is now selling the same comic at auction. So, in the past year there were 3 confirmed sales: 90K,52.8K & 50K.

On 6/19/2020 at 5:18 PM, GM8 said:
On 6/19/2020 at 11:32 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, I just messaged Jason and per CL the December sale at $50K is legitimate. The buyer is now selling the same comic at auction. So, in the past year there were 3 confirmed sales: 90K,52.8K & 50K.

Hmmmm.......................well, that's definitely interesting and food for some thought then.  hm

Looks like it's got a Reserve Price on it for this go round though which has still not been met yet at this $42K price point which it is still currently sitting at, which makes me kind of wonder what the reserve has been set at and whether it will even be met.  I guess only time will tell if the bidding goes high enough to activate it or not.  :taptaptap: 

Well, maybe there were actually 4 confirmed sales as I don't actually know when this sale took place since it was not part of their usual auction format sale:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/877988?tzf=1

tee2.602_1.jpg

It would appear that this copy here sold for $59,000 in a non-auction formatted sale.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hmmmm.......................well, that's definitely interesting and food for some thought then.  hm

Looks like it's got a Reserve Price on it for this go round though which has still not been met yet at this $42K price point which it is still currently sitting at, which makes me kind of wonder what the reserve has been set at and whether it will even be met.  I guess only time will tell if the bidding goes high enough to activate it or not.  :taptaptap: 

Well, maybe there were actually 4 confirmed sales as I don't actually know when this sale took place since it was not part of their usual auction format sale:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/877988?tzf=1

tee2.602_1.jpg

It would appear that this copy here sold for $59,000 in a non-auction formatted sale.  (thumbsu

Well that's interesting...haven't seen this sale before. This is the same book that sold for $90K last summer. I have a message into CC to see when this was.

4 hours ago, GM8 said:

Well that's interesting...haven't seen this sale before. This is the same book that sold for $90K last summer. I have a message into CC to see when this was.

Interested in the actual sales transaction of this particular book.  That’s quite a huge gap between $90k and $59k.  It appears that a 9.8 is more in the $50-$60k range

7 hours ago, GM8 said:

Hmmmm...........................I thoughtthat CGC serial number looked a bit familiar.  (thumbsu

Well, since I would assume the CC sale didn't take place after the HA $90K result, my guess is that the CC sale took place in late 2018 or early 2019.  Don't really like the fact that CC doesn't have a date for their non-auction sales, but still a whole ton better than CL which has no auction archives of any kind.  Not sure if Heritage includes their Buy Now sales items in their auction archives or not.  (shrug)

If you are planning to call CC about their TMNT 1 $59K, can you please ask them to add in the date field for their non-auction sales at the same time?  :bigsmile:

2 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

Interested in the actual sales transaction of this particular book.  That’s quite a huge gap between $90k and $59k.  It appears that a 9.8 is more in the $50-$60k range

I would tend to agree with this and see the record $90K sale as really more of an outlier at this current point in time.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I would tend to agree with this and see the record $90K sale as really more of an outlier at this current point in time.  (thumbsu

Just wait till they actually make a good movie or other sort of revival...this'll be a 100k book some day in the not too distant future. At that time I look forward to the retelling of the story of how you had a chance to buy a first print #1 cheap back in the day and passed on it...

Edited by szav

Anyone hoarding copies in the 7.0-8.0 range 10 years ago is looking really good right now.  Even at current prices a 7.0 or 7.5 is still a good deal.  I see myself saying the same thing in 2030.  It’ll be a bigger grail than any Bronze Age key; even hulk 181.  So  it’ll be in the same boat as other silver age keys

Edited by Spiderturtle

On 6/21/2020 at 12:41 PM, szav said:
On 6/21/2020 at 11:27 AM, lou_fine said:

Just wait till they actually make a good movie or other sort of revival...this'll be a 100k book some day in the not too distant future. At that time I look forward to the retelling of the story of how you had a chance to buy a first print #1 cheap back in the day and passed on it...

Why wait since I can ALREADY RIGHT NOW tell you the story of how I had a chance to buy a first print #1 issue back in the day and passed on it..........  lol

Definitely a sad (at least for me), but unfortuantely true story for me.  :(

Fast backwards to about 1987 or thereabouts and I am at one of my LCS's hoping to snag a book that will one day go up and be worth a staggering $5 or so in the guide.  The owner knows that I am looking for these kinds of books and asks me if I would like to order a Signed & Limited Edition Hardcover of the new Batman, the Dark Knight Returns by the red hot creator of the day, Frank Miller, for only $40.  He then also hands me over a copy of some fugly looking book with the horrible looking underground type of art that I absolutely abhor and says that he has the book on hold for a customer of his.  He tells me that he can order another copy for me right from the creators themseves for the out of this universe price of only $300.  I flip open the book and take a look at the crude really fugly interior artwork and hand it back to him immediately, thinking at the same time that he must think I am a total looney bin if he thinks I would pay him $300 smackers for a piece of crapola like that.  Then again, maybe he was offering me $300 to take this atomic smelly piece of doggie poo poo out of his store and dispose of it for him somewhere safe and sound.  :fear:  lol

Well, knowing me and the el Cheapo guy that I am and being a big fan of Miller's writing and artwork at the time, I ended up getting the Signed & Limited Edition of the Dark Knight book and one that I would probably still not be able to recoup my original price that I had paid for the book some 30+ years ago.  doh!   And of course, we all know what happened to the value of the TMNT #1 first print that I passed on for only $300 and probably one that I would continue to pass on to this day if I didn't know its real value.  :p  :cry:

Definitely one of the books that I missed out on in terms of not buying back in the day, but not one that I actually think much about since it's not really a book that I care for and there's been other bigger deals that I had sadly passed on.  doh!  doh!

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Why wait since I can ALREADY RIGHT NOW tell you the story of how I had a chance to buy a first print #1 issue back in the day and passed on it..........  lol

Thank you for regaling us with the tale.  I just wanted to needle you a bit because I know you don’t care for the book.  Appreciate you playing along.

Im sure you have far more stories of success than failure making these sorts of decisions.  

Edited by szav

On 6/21/2020 at 2:27 PM, lou_fine said:

Hmmmm...........................I thoughtthat CGC serial number looked a bit familiar.  (thumbsu

Well, since I would assume the CC sale didn't take place after the HA $90K result, my guess is that the CC sale took place in late 2018 or early 2019.  Don't really like the fact that CC doesn't have a date for their non-auction sales, but still a whole ton better than CL which has no auction archives of any kind.  Not sure if Heritage includes their Buy Now sales items in their auction archives or not.  (shrug)

If you are planning to call CC about their TMNT 1 $59K, can you please ask them to add in the date field for their non-auction sales at the same time?  :bigsmile:

Ok the scoop is that the $59K sale is legit, confirmed via phone with CC this morning as a consignment/BIN sale that ended on 4/30/20. It is the same book that sold last summer for $90K. Sooo...our last sales of 9.8's boil down to: $90K, 52.8K, 50K, 59K.

The CL book is up a bit to 44K, reserve not met.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FPreviewCode%3D2020june%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3DTurtles%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1404932&id=1404932&itemType=0

Also, the ebay book is back up, same selller who also confirmed he has it listed at CC for $85K. So maybe he just wanted a photo of the back and poached one from another book. It's possible if he has it in a safe deposit box or not in hand.

Edited by GM8