• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

Well this is news. I just saw that a site called Rally Road rallyrd.com purchased the recent Comic Connect 9.8 (CGC 119928001) that sold for $59K and has distributed shares via its app platform to "investors" apparently @ an initial offering of $65/share of 1,000 shares total. Yes, that values the book at $65K. There were apparently 143 of these initial investors, who purchased about $450 total each.

Here's the link via my app, you will need to create an account to see it I believe. There's other comics there to invest in as well. But this certainly brings comic investing / high value comics to a different level....likely higher prices is the end game in my opinion.

https://app.rallyrd.com/app/assets/comics-literature/TMNT1

1 hour ago, GM8 said:

Well this is news. I just saw that a site called Rally Road rallyrd.com purchased the recent Comic Connect 9.8 (CGC 119928001) that sold for $59K and has distributed shares via its app platform to "investors" apparently @ an initial offering of $65/share of 1,000 shares total. Yes, that values the book at $65K. There were apparently 143 of these initial investors, who purchased about $450 total each.

Here's the link via my app, you will need to create an account to see it I believe. There's other comics there to invest in as well. But this certainly brings comic investing / high value comics to a different level....likely higher prices is the end game in my opinion.

What is going on in this world....

That will price people out almost certainly moving forward not only that but for relatively small investment these guys could buy any big book they want and keep massing them . I think my thoughts were right when I started getting out of this slowly . Anything that involves money , big money will always attract bigger and wealthier fish. 

This hobby is lost and due for a crash. If the collectors are unable to buy books and these groups are starting to hoard  them at what point does it all crash? It can only increase in value if it’s accessible somehow to smaller players that drive price and demand up . Once they get absorbed into these “ investment groups “ bye bye . They are in it for long haul to cash out like mutual fund at maturity . 

Sickens me 

2 hours ago, GM8 said:

Well, I believe this kind of idea has been attempted on more than one occasion in the past, as per a post I just made on the GA boards here:

11 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, didn't we have Greg Buls or whoever it was tried something similar in the early to mid-90's in terms of attempting to set up some type of "mutual fund" for speculators to buy into all of the latest red hot books that were due to hit the shelves of the LCS's that week?  hm  :screwy:

Well, I believe we all know the eventual result of an idea like that.  :tonofbricks:

4 hours ago, GM8 said:

It seems like a venture ripe for failure.  But I'm curious how similar schemes have gone previously in other high price collectibles if there's any history of that.  Surely people would have tried the same thing for expensive cars, or fine art?

Or...is this targeted towards comic collectors because there's possibly a high number of potential 'investors' due to the current popularity and this is something that's easier to do nowadays due simply due to better technology to manage it?

7 hours ago, Sanj Mitra said:

Raising money from public....I wonder if there are consumer protection or securities laws which need to be complied with?...

There is a larger topic in comics general where they're discussing all the details but essentially someone pointed out this looks legit on the face of it, FINRA registration and everything.

I've never seen this copy listed or sold before, special discount price of $100,000! New 9.8 listing on ebay from a seller I'm unfamiliar with "redhoodcomics". Anyone know anything about them? They're in Las Vegas it appears.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-TURTLES-1984-First-Printing-1-CGC-9-8-NM-MT-SIGNED/224094283871?hash=item342d0f685f:g:o2UAAOSw9INfHQs-

A side note: this makes 15 unique CGC 9.8's that I have in my sales/listings database going back to 2006 with the first sale I have record of in 2011. So out of 28 officially graded books, a little over half have been listed and/or changed hands since then.  The other 13 are in collector's hands and have been off the market for at least the public.

Edited by GM8

1 hour ago, GM8 said:

I've never seen this copy listed or sold before, special discount price of $100,000! New 9.8 listing on ebay from a seller I'm unfamiliar with "redhoodcomics". Anyone know anything about them? They're in Las Vegas it appears.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-TURTLES-1984-First-Printing-1-CGC-9-8-NM-MT-SIGNED/224094283871?hash=item342d0f685f:g:o2UAAOSw9INfHQs-

He’s an .... interesting guy ; some people like him very much. Used to work for Torpedo then went out on his own. 

2 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

That price is a joke !

I honestly believe in 3-5 years $100k will be the norm for first print 9.8's. The low census coupled with the IP popularity and pop culture make it an absolute no brainer. I truly believe this is the copper age version of AF15 or Tec 27.

EDIT: Currently a 7.5 is at $9.1k with 11 days to go on ComicLink

Edited by DTM700

13 hours ago, DTM700 said:

I honestly believe in 3-5 years $100k will be the norm for first print 9.8's. The low census coupled with the IP popularity and pop culture make it an absolute no brainer. I truly believe this is the copper age version of AF15 or Tec 27.

High grade copies for this book are not rare that book itself is htf but from 9-9.8 there are a good amount . A lot more 9.8 TMNT than AF15s that’s for sure 

Edited by Subby1938

13 hours ago, DTM700 said:

High grade copies for this book are not rare that book itself is htf but from 9-9.8 there are a good amount . A lot more 9.8 TMNT than AF15s that’s for sure 

Edited by Subby1938

22 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

Correct, there are no 9.8 AF 15's that I'm aware of. Yes, there are about six times more TMNT 1 in 9.0 and above than AF 15 (approx. 364 TMNT 1 at 9.0 and above vs  65 AF15 at 9.0 and above). If I'm wrong or way off on the numbers, someone please let me know.

My low census remark was to all graded first print copies of TMNT 1, less than 1000. AF15 has over 3300 graded copies. The low census for all graded copies of TMNT 1 first print  is part of the driving price along with it's pop culture presence. There will always be five things in life: death, taxes, Spiderman reboots, Batman reboots, and TMNT reboots.

I also think we are hitting a sweet spot of collectors that grew up with TMNT in their mid to late 40s now trying to buy this issue . Disposable income or whatever the timing is a perfect storm . 

the book was undervalued for a long time I just question how fast it’s jumped . What do I know ?

14 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I’m sensing a lot of pumping going on...I suppose it could just be hype catching on, but all of a sudden TMNT is all the rage on social media platforms. No need to explain the book, I get it...but why now and so fast & furious? (shrug)

Not really a pump...this is real demand. The movie may have something to do with it, and the stock market definitely does. It hit me when the second prints went nuts, now it's going back into first prints again. I think the 9.8's hit that 100K mark soon.