• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

At a 100K I’m selling every copy I own ( If I had them lol ) without hesitation 

I'm sure someone had that same thought at $10K, and they made someone else very happy.  $100K will do the same thing.

33 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I'm sure someone had that same thought at $10K, and they made someone else very happy.  $100K will do the same thing.

Someone mentioned you on the Usagi Dojo recently. FYI. 

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

You wouldn't wait for 200k?

At 100K only an elite few can buy books of that value . I would sell so fast lol no sense being greedy as we all know most owners of those high grade books have had them for years 

30 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I'm not a member over there... is it something I need to see and follow-up about? hm

In a conversation about the Usagi 10 Peach Momoko variant:

"Greg [surname] , the guy behind the cgcdata website and valiant fans boards actually did a study using data on this showing the rate of decay in prices. To use his terminology after the moneybags get their copies right at the beginning prices start to fall pretty fast."

4 hours ago, Ryan. said:
5 hours ago, valiantman said:

I'm not a member over there... is it something I need to see and follow-up about? hm

In a conversation about the Usagi 10 Peach Momoko variant:

"Greg [surname] , the guy behind the cgcdata website and valiant fans boards actually did a study using data on this showing the rate of decay in prices. To use his terminology after the moneybags get their copies right at the beginning prices start to fall pretty fast."

Hmmm... I don't remember that, but I've been running CGCdata.com (or the same thing at a different site) since 2003, so anything possible on what I might have said.  Generally speaking, without an increase in interest (movies, shows, toys, something else new), you can expect a CGC graded book to have some total value... let's say $50,000 (all copies combined), and we know the CGC census is going to increase, so without something else happening, that $50,000 tends to stay the same and get spread across more copies, making the individual prices for the same slabs begin to fall.  Any outside changes (movies, shows, toys, something else) tend to increase the total value dollars, let's say to $75,000, so the individual prices either increase... or the CGC census rises faster than the dollars and the individual prices still fall (but not as much as if the total had stayed at $50,000).

If that makes any sense. lol

TMNT #1 (all slabbed copies) are worth a lot more than $50,000... closer to $5,000,000, probably... but the concept is the same whether we're talking about CGC slabs of TMNT #1 (this topic) or CGC slabs of some new variant (probably closer to $50,000 total).

15 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

At 100K only an elite few can buy books of that value . I would sell so fast lol no sense being greedy as we all know most owners of those high grade books have had them for years 

This is exactly why I think the 'lower grade' copies of this book are the true gems - still 'affordable' to a larger group of buyers that want in :)

I've told my wife about all current auctions and the offers I get on my TMNT book, they come in like clockwork every week on instagram, and every time she gives me a scowl and tells me hard no to selling (we both love the turtles). Of course I won't sell now with how bonkers the prices are getting, but we both agreed it wouldn't be totally insane if one day I ended up selling mine for $10k Canadian (I have a CGC 5.0, so basically $7,500us which seems doable with how prices are trending now) even though long term it could be more - I don't want to be too greedy and Sauce Dog needs a new house to live in :D

1 hour ago, Sauce Dog said:

This is exactly why I think the 'lower grade' copies of this book are the true gems - still 'affordable' to a larger group of buyers that want in :)

I've told my wife about all current auctions and the offers I get on my TMNT book, they come in like clockwork every week on instagram, and every time she gives me a scowl and tells me hard no to selling (we both love the turtles). Of course I won't sell now with how bonkers the prices are getting, but we both agreed it wouldn't be totally insane if one day I ended up selling mine for $10k Canadian (I have a CGC 5.0, so basically $7,500us which seems doable with how prices are trending now) even though long term it could be more - I don't want to be too greedy and Sauce Dog needs a new house to live in :D

I've gotten unsolicited emails/PMs on my 5.0 over the years, usually one or two a year, to ask if I'm selling. I always so no. A couple years ago I did receive a PM from a boardie with an offer for, if I remember correctly, about $2300, which at the time wasn't outrageous. My wife talked me out of selling, and I'm happy she did.

On the flipside I've had opportunities to buy higher grade raw copies and always passed, which I now regret. I definitely regret selling my higher grade second prints.

Here's some capital gains for your viewing pleasure. This 9.0 off white/white paged blue label last traded in November of 2018 for $6,560. Yesterday, it sold for $15K over on ebay. Cha-ching!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-CGC-9-0-1984-Mirage-1st-Print-H12-cm-clean-/352841824842?hash=item522702fa4a%3Ag%3AFmQAAOSw84ZcODNV&nma=true&si=VC%2FvYp9GMj7kX%2BMb19EhSWILuaM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Thanks @GM8 for always highlighting the interesting stuff.

To put the above mentioned sale into perspective l picked up my 9.8 in 2012 for $1k less than this 9.0 sold for...

I want to know where all the 2nd prints have gone. There were twice as many printed as the first print but they are much less represented in the census. With their prices rising, especially for high grades, surely more would have come out of the woodwork?

13 minutes ago, pubmonkey said:

To put the above mentioned sale into perspective l picked up my 9.8 in 2012 for $1k less than this 9.0 sold for...

I want to know where all the 2nd prints have gone. There were twice as many printed as the first print but they are much less represented in the census. With their prices rising, especially for high grades, surely more would have come out of the woodwork?

Thanks. You got a deal on that 9.8 buddy!

I don't track 2nd print prices unfortunately, at least not data-wise. I only track 1st prints from 9.0 and higher. Probably need someone with GPA access for that data.

10 hours ago, pubmonkey said:

I remember hesitating on a 9.8 for 13K back in 2013. I remember where I was standing when I said, “I think I’m going to hold off on it.” I wasn’t a crazy man then like I am now. It was a lot of money then and still is! You’re a smart man for picking it up when you did. It’s a beauty. 

I think everyone raises valid points, and right now it’s turtle-mania it seems. I’m now buying some loose figures, adding to my childhood collection (making my wife unhappy). It’s also the summer, and things historically sell well during this time. Right now we are seeing demand outweigh the supply. I believe that’s why we are seeing lower graded copies sell for more, and one of the only reasonably priced higher grade copies sell for that much. Comicmylars, the seller of the 9.0 has sold many books with sales not reported on GPA. I’m wondering if it’s legit. I know he had apparently sold a 9.2 a couple months back for around the same price.

A few months back, there were at least 5 to 8 copies readily available on eBay, the majority being 6-9.0. Now, there are 2- the 9.8 and 9.4 priced at 34K (Wild). 

13 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

If anyone thinks the 1st prints are too common, then they have this grail they could jump on:

The very first printers proof.
https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dninja%2Bturtles%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1420693&id=1420693&itemType=0

Ooof, that rust. Still crazy cool though.

1 hour ago, Sauce Dog said:

If anyone thinks the 1st prints are too common, then they have this grail they could jump on:

The very first printers proof.
https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dninja%2Bturtles%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1420693&id=1420693&itemType=0

This is pretty amazing. It’s unlike other proofs I’ve seen. It will surely fetch a pretty penny.