• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

Hey so im late to the party but i cant afford the 1st, 2nd or 3rd printings...so is it better to own the 4th or 5th print?

The 4th print has a nice wrap around cover and I believe is the first cover appearance of Shredder, so I would aim for that one :)  

47 minutes ago, lhcomics said:

Well I just discovered today the craziness on Turtles 1 when I got the Clink email and the 7.5 was at 10K. Looked on eBay and most all the copies I saw on there last month are gone.

Here is my 9.0 that I bought several years ago and had it for sale at C2E2 3 or 4 years ago. Then I got to thinking, what other comic has this much appeal outside the comic industry? Walking dead maybe.

So after C2E2 I decided to hang on and see what happens. 

359866174_TMNT1.thumb.jpg.e1d86ec2ff8699ac255f8772ed9a3432.jpg

When you say “outside the comic industry” what do you mean?

2 hours ago, lhcomics said:

Probably should have said people that don't typically collect comics. Walking Dead has an appeal to people other than comic geeks because of the show. TMNT has same appeal because of toys, movies etc. 

Aww gotcha! And yeah the 7.5 is baffling to me. Was a $5K-$6K book not long ago. Not sure why it’s gone up soo much randomly and other copies getting snatched up, likely because of it.

7 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

If you guys were me would you save up to buy a 2nd print graded 7.0 to 8.5 or get a 3rd print in 9.4 to 9.8 condition?  Which would be a better long term hold if for any reason I have to sell it in say 10 years or so?  

In my humble opinion, comics are a hobby. If they gain value, great. For investment purposes you should focus on minimizing debt for more cash flow, maxing 401k and IRA, or a brokerage account if you need liquid assets before retirement. 2c

If you guys were me would you save up to buy a 2nd print graded 7.0 to 8.5 or get a 3rd print in 9.4 to 9.8 condition?  Which would be a better long term hold if for any reason I have to sell it in say 10 years or so?  

Go for a second print.

8 minutes ago, DTM700 said:

In my humble opinion, comics are a hobby. If they gain value, great. For investment purposes you should focus on minimizing debt for more cash flow, maxing 401k and IRA, or a brokerage account if you need liquid assets before retirement. 2c

Welcome to the boards!

Agree on 2nd print. Only 6K if I recall correctly, and exponentially more 3rd's...don't recall the exact number though.

8 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Agree on 2nd print. Only 6K if I recall correctly, and exponentially more 3rd's...don't recall the exact number though.

30K third prints, to the best of my recollection.

Okay thanks.  Im going to save up for a 2nd copy then.  Im not looking for it to be an investment but im an 80s kid and grew up loving the turtles.  With that said, if i had to sell it in say 10 years or 15 or whatever due to health issues or what not, id want to at least have a copy i can possibly recoup my money from. 

Okay thanks.  Im going to save up for a 2nd copy then.  Im not looking for it to be an investment but im an 80s kid and grew up loving the turtles.  With that said, if i had to sell it in say 10 years or 15 or whatever due to health issues or what not, id want to at least have a copy i can possibly recoup my money from. 

2nd print is 100% the way to go - because it still is technically a real 1st appearance, what I mean is by the time they did a 3rd print other TMNT issues had already been published (3rd print came out in 1985, after issues #2 was published. So in my mind it isn't a true 1st appearance if they already had more issues before it.)

Edited by Sauce Dog

9 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

2nd print is 100% the way to go - because it still is technically a real 1st appearance, what I mean is by the time they did a 3rd print other TMNT issues had already been published (3rd print came out in 1985, after issues #2 was published. So in my mind it isn't a true 1st appearance if they already had more issues before it.)

Echoing this, I've always considered the second print to be a sort of extension of the first print whereas the third print is a straight reprinting, and has certain changes, such as the extra blood on the cover, that makes it different from the first two printings. 

well.  I havent checked the number yet, but I am 90% sure thats my 7.5 that is at $10.5 right now on CLink.  sold it last fall on there, caught about $5700.

while I have some mild feelings of *aaaauuugh dammit* about the jump, it seems that the Universe is blessing me otherwise... my 2nd print 9.0 is currently at $1,431 (not sayin where *wink*), with 2 days left!!!!!

I wont plug the link here so as to not violate rules and stuff.  being that WOW rises and 2nd prints are of particur topic, I thought this message to be valid... yes, moderators?  ta bien?