• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,735 posts in this topic

Here's a 9.2 on sale, special price, stacked-coupon special for only one easy payment of $29,500! This book has been listed by comicmylars out of California for a while, ebay had it as "sold" last November at $13.5K. So that apparently fell through to the benefit of comicmylars, apparently. The asking price had been all over the place last year, 11.8K, then 10.5K, then 13.5K, then 14.5K, then the "sale".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-CGC-9-2-Mirage-1984-1st-Print-White-Pages-cm/353163118979?hash=item523a298983:g:LmUAAOSwkHxcAM6F

1 hour ago, GM8 said:

Here's a 9.2 on sale, special price, stacked-coupon special for only one easy payment of $29,500! This book has been listed by comicmylars out of California for a while, ebay had it as "sold" last November at $13.5K. So that apparently fell through to the benefit of comicmylars, apparently. The asking price had been all over the place last year, 11.8K, then 10.5K, then 13.5K, then 14.5K, then the "sale".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-CGC-9-2-Mirage-1984-1st-Print-White-Pages-cm/353163118979?hash=item523a298983:g:LmUAAOSwkHxcAM6F

“cm”

1 hour ago, GM8 said:

“cm”

1 hour ago, spracknetch23 said:

Any restored sales recently? Curious about the value of an apparent 8-9.0 with slight spine color touch.

I only track first print sales of 9.0 and up, so it's limited data in that dept for sure. Haven't seen a sale of one  in years so I wouldn't hazard to guess value today.

3 hours ago, GM8 said:

Comicmylars also sold a 3rd print 9.8 not long ago on eBay that is conveniently back up for sale lol. A lot of his sales magically fall through it seems.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 7/27/2020 at 7:30 AM, Subby1938 said:
On 7/26/2020 at 6:11 PM, DTM700 said:

I honestly believe in 3-5 years $100k will be the norm for first print 9.8's. The low census coupled with the IP popularity and pop culture make it an absolute no brainer. I truly believe this is the copper age version of AF15 or Tec 27.

EDIT: Currently a 7.5 is at $9.1k with 11 days to go on ComicLink

High grade copies for this book are not rare that book itself is htf but from 9-9.8 there are a good amount . A lot more 9.8 TMNT than AF15s that’s for sure 

I guess the real question is whether the supply of TMNT 1 in CGC 9.8 graded condition ends up being higher than the demand for it once it hits $100K.  (shrug)

Especially since the CGC Population Census Report already includes 32 copies (and counting) in CGC 9.8 condition, with this count no doubt going higher by the time the book hits $100K.  I can't think of any other comic book (including Action 1 or 'Tec 27) that would have anywhere close to this many copies of a graded book that would be able to fetch $100K per copy.  Hence, the reason I think collectors will be much more tempted to sell their copies of TMNT 1 once it hits 6-figures, as opposed to paying 6-figures to acquire, especially with the "relatively high" number of copies out there.  hm

Like we have seen with so many other truly vintage collectable comic books, the air is much more rarified when you reach these stratospheric price levels.  What usually happens at this point is that it tends to bring up the prices for the lower graded copies as collectors just wants to be able to pick up a copy which they can still afford to buy.  This is where the much larger percentage gains will be going forward.  (thumbsu

On 7/28/2020 at 7:52 AM, Sauce Dog said:
On 7/27/2020 at 3:41 PM, Subby1938 said:

At 100K only an elite few can buy books of that value . I would sell so fast lol no sense being greedy as we all know most owners of those high grade books have had them for years 

This is exactly why I think the 'lower grade' copies of this book are the true gems - still 'affordable' to a larger group of buyers that want in :)

Exactly right, especially when you have such a "relatively high" number of uber HG copies out there and only the elite few willing to spend that kind of money on a comic book.  (thumbsu

My bet is that if we take a poll here to see how many of us would sell a CGC 9.8 graded copy of TMNT 1 for $100K, as opposed to buying one for $100K, the poll results would be very very heavily weighted to one side.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/2/2020 at 9:19 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Aww gotcha! And yeah the 7.5 is baffling to me. Was a $5K-$6K book not long ago. Not sure why it’s gone up soo much randomly and other copies getting snatched up, likely because of it.

Increase is not random at all, and the answer is right here:

On 7/28/2020 at 7:52 AM, Sauce Dog said:

This is exactly why I think the 'lower grade' copies of this book are the true gems - still 'affordable' to a larger group of buyers that want in :)

51 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I guess the real question is whether the supply of TMNT 1 in CGC 9.8 graded condition ends up being higher than the demand for it once it hits $100K.  (shrug)

46 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

My bet is that if we take a poll here to see how many of us would sell a CGC 9.8 graded copy of TMNT 1 for $100K, as opposed to buying one for $100K, the poll results would be very very heavily weighted to one side.  hm

This is a very good point. While I still think 9.8's will eventually hit $100k, I would not be surprised if there is a pull back or price correction due to the reasons listed above.