• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2020 at 9:23 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I know some people will tell you all these recent sales are FOMO, and the book will likely level off at some point. Very possible that happens of course, it did eventually with AF15 after it went on a meteoric rise years ago. But is it a gamble worth taking knowing it may not and the book rises more in the process 🤷‍♂️? I think the prudent thing to do is just jump on a copy, but that’s me and is what I did. I know others will disagree. Crazy that no more than a week ago an 8.5 2nd print sells for $1,675, and now a 6.0 sells for $1,035. Who knows where it keeps going.

I believe you provided your own answer to your question up above:

On 8/9/2020 at 10:38 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Agreed, they’re all stupid hot right now.

With the key words emphasized in bold above.  :gossip:

Especially when you consider not only the huge number of graded copies already out there, but also the even larger number of raw copies that still hasn't crossed a grading table yet. hm

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I believe you provided your own answer to your question up above:

With the key words emphasized in bold above.  :gossip:

Especially when you consider not only the huge number of graded copies already out there, but also the even larger number of raw copies that still hasn't crossed a grading table yet. hm

Lou not sure what question you’re referencing I asked. I was responding to someone else’s question 🤷‍♂️

As far as the numbers go, I definitely wouldn’t call the current amount graded for either print, or even all 3 combined huge haha. Even if you combine the first 3 print’s on the census, it’s still considerably less then the average rare silver age grail like AF15. For a book from over 20 years later in the copper age, that’s pretty damn scarce. Furthermore, taking into account there are however many of each print already graded by CBCS and PGX as well, and many copies were signed by one or both creators back in the day I’ve noticed, those are likely going to CBCS anyway. Also have to imagine a certain amount of collectors will keep their raw copies raw, and you can’t assume every single copy of each print still exists. I mean yes the 2nd print for example had a 6K run and 3rd print 35K run, but I’m sure a bunch were tossed in the trash back in the day. So not sure there will be some massive influx of graded copies with CGC, as you seem to imply could happen. Yet, if that were going to happen, I guess it would potentially be with the 2nd, but more so 3rd print considering their respective print runs and amount currently graded. Looking at the numbers again though, for a book created all the way in the mid 80’s it’s still super low.

Also FOMO aside, I think there was already enough collectors out there to outweigh the supply of this book with demand.

Edited by LDarkseid1

Well, the signed/sketched 9.4 is back up for sale, but instead of $6,400 best offer, now at 11K best offer. I guess pretty obvious that was going to happen haha.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-Turtles-1-Mirage-1984-2nd-Print-CGC-9-4-SIGNED-EASTMAN/184399051840?hash=item2aef0a3c40:g:IJkAAOSwTjpfNFl2

6 hours ago, rich_TMNT said:

I'm on the fence about sending this 2nd printing error copy in to CGC.  I'd like to get it slabbed for protection / preservation but it's kind of cool to be able to open it up occasionally to see the upside-down interior pages.  But, I have pics of that so I'll probably end up sending it here soon.

TMNT-Vol-I-01_2nd-print-ERROR_INSIDE-FROTMNT-Vol-I-01_2nd-print-ERROR_INSIDE-FRO

Should I feel silly that I’ve never seen this or knew it existed! This is awesome. Now I need to know the background info- how many exist, etc.? 

I’m tempted to send a couple oddballs in as well, but I have no intent of selling them so I think I’ll leave them as is. They take up less space as well. 
If you want, you could send it over this way for preservation. I’ll keep it safe and warm. lol 

22 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Well, the signed/sketched 9.4 is back up for sale, but instead of $6,400 best offer, now at 11K best offer. I guess pretty obvious that was going to happen haha.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-Turtles-1-Mirage-1984-2nd-Print-CGC-9-4-SIGNED-EASTMAN/184399051840?hash=item2aef0a3c40:g:IJkAAOSwTjpfNFl2

This is shooting for the stars indeed! (: 

5 minutes ago, SpideyFein said:

Should I feel silly that I’ve never seen this or knew it existed! This is awesome. Now I need to know the background info- how many exist, etc.? 

I’m tempted to send a couple oddballs in as well, but I have no intent of selling them so I think I’ll leave them as is. They take up less space as well. 
If you want, you could send it over this way for preservation. I’ll keep it safe and warm. lol 

Nah, it's totally obscure and could be one of a kind as far as I know (but I'm betting Peter has more of these if I had to speculate).  It's the only one I've ever seen though.  This one came out of nowhere many years ago - offered for sale through Peter Laird's blog. It was actually part of Peter Laird's personal collection where he was listing a bunch of stuff over the course of a few months.  After I bought it he asked me if I wanted him to sign the book before mailing. At the time I thought about maybe not having him sign so I could get it in person sometime.  But, in retrospect, I'm now glad I did have him sign.  Peter's signature is pretty much impossible to get anymore.

@SpideyFein I'm sure you'd take great care of it...but I'm gonna preserve it on my own here at home. :nyah:  Or, send it to CGC.  

TMNT-Vol-I-01_2nd-print-ERROR_COA-March-TMNT-Vol-I-01_2nd-print-ERROR_INSIDE-FRO

13 minutes ago, rich_TMNT said:

Nah, it's totally obscure and could be one of a kind as far as I know (but I'm betting Peter has more of these if I had to speculate).  It's the only one I've ever seen though.  This one came out of nowhere many years ago - offered for sale through Peter Laird's blog. It was actually part of Peter Laird's personal collection where he was listing a bunch of stuff over the course of a few months.  After I bought it he asked me if I wanted him to sign the book before mailing. At the time I thought about maybe not having him sign so I could get it in person sometime.  But, in retrospect, I'm now glad I did have him sign.  Peter's signature is pretty much impossible to get anymore.

@SpideyFein I'm sure you'd take great care of it...but I'm gonna preserve it on my own here at home. :nyah:  Or, send it to CGC.  

TMNT-Vol-I-01_2nd-print-ERROR_COA-March-TMNT-Vol-I-01_2nd-print-ERROR_INSIDE-FRO

That's awesome!

51 minutes ago, rich_TMNT said:

This of course makes it even cooler! Are all of the pages upside down? I think you did the right move getting it signed. I love his quick head sketches. You of course are correct regarding how tough is sigs are getting. Thanks for sharing this beauty. 

I have a few Laird sigs, most I’ve gotten off these boards. and one that is cgc’ed. @Turtle was kind enough to sell me a Turtlemania 1 and get his sig at a signing. I coincidentally met him at a show where I cracked it and got Eastman too. I remember answering his call prior to teaching a yoga class, with all of my students around me. That was an important call lol @Ryan. sold me a nice double signed FCBD 1 which I eventually got Eastman on too. I have a couple more cool Laird pieces, but wish I would’ve gotten more when I had the chance.  

I’ve yet to meet Peter, and still have hope!!