• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,735 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, Sonic77 said:

Wow that's crazy, almost has me tempted to post my 2nd print but then again I won't be able to replace it with these prices lol.

Just depends how much you want the mula lol. What grade is it?

53 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Just depends how much you want the mula lol. What grade is it?

It's a CGC 9.2 signed by Eastman.  Also have a 3rd print that's coming in this week also, lol thankfully I didn't pay the crazy prices they're going for now.

Something seems off about all  these rocketing prices on these . Same thing is happening with Miles Morales books and modern Knull variants . It’s not healthy growth imo. As much as I want to believe comic collecting is healthy asa hobby I feel like money being poured in will fizzle out . These raw copies in second and third print selling for multiple thousands over night is ridiculous . 

2 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Something seems off about all  these rocketing prices on these . Same thing is happening with Miles Morales books and modern Knull variants . It’s not healthy growth imo. As much as I want to believe comic collecting is healthy asa hobby I feel like money being poured in will fizzle out . These raw copies in second and third print selling for multiple thousands over night is ridiculous . 

I agree.

4 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

There are a lot of comics, mostly keys, that have followed this path. AF 15, Hulk 1, top pre-code horror covers, some move speculation issues, etc. They explode seemingly overnight, then pull back 10-20%, then plateau in price for years. 

18 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Could someone explain to me what this guy is selling? Is it essentially a modern reprint of the infamous gold edition version, and worth like $5-$10 lol. Or is it legitimately worth around what he's asking? https://www.ebay.com/itm/174191436059?ul_noapp=true

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 12.51.54 PM.png

@LDarkseid1  I can provide all the details and background about this if you want to post this again over in the Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles thread.  Just so we stay on topic here in this thread with TMNT #1. :smile:

1 hour ago, october said:

There are a lot of comics, mostly keys, that have followed this path. AF 15, Hulk 1, top pre-code horror covers, some move speculation issues, etc. They explode seemingly overnight, then pull back 10-20%, then plateau in price for years. 

Very true, and not that you implied this but just to point out, the pull back wasn’t overnight. Didn’t happen for many years with AF15, and as I recall happened about 2 years or so after the initial explosion with Hulk 1. Not sure about the pre-code horrors. So definitely won’t deny it may or likely will happen at some point, but won’t be for a while. The supply is just soo super low on the 1st and 2nd print to so that should play a role.

21 minutes ago, old_dano said:

Just curious, if anyone has an idea what the right price to pay for a blue label 9.2 copy in today's crazy new prices.

Thanks in advance,

Old_Dano

I don't have any recent, crazy town, prices for 9.2's but using 9.0's as your guide the last two sales were $14,995 just on 7/29/20 and $14,375 on 5/20/20.  I think old-dano's target of 20K is a good starting point. But don't take less than 16 or 17, imho.

58 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

If a seller gets lucky he could fetch 20,000 for a 9.2 right about now.  

First prints I don’t see any pull backs or if there was one a very slight one many years down the road as the supply of less then 800 exists on the census dictates a majority of them were prob trashed and not cared for which is why u seen maybe trickles getting added over the past 2-3yrs on the grading table. Remember all 3 prints are unique and compare to the print runs of most books in the 80s the 3rd print is the lowest at 30,000 over every marvel or dc key printed back in the mid 80s. Book has finally showed the love it deserved and it’s the reason why they are getting snatched up and people are paying more to get them now more then ever. 

9 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

It seems like it’d be relatively easy to manipulate the market on a book like this for the first and second prints.

If someone’s been buying up hundreds of copies for years this would still only represent a few million dollars worth.

Then all you may need to do is bid up a few of your books at auction to try and set the bar way higher, then start selling off your hundreds of copies slowly...

It always looked like that’s what was going on with Hulk 181 in 9.8 in recent years.

30 minutes ago, Kalel38 said:

First prints I don’t see any pull backs or if there was one a very slight one many years down the road as the supply of less then 800 exists on the census dictates a majority of them were prob trashed and not cared for which is why u seen maybe trickles getting added over the past 2-3yrs on the grading table. Remember all 3 prints are unique and compare to the print runs of most books in the 80s the 3rd print is the lowest at 30,000 over every marvel or dc key printed back in the mid 80s. Book has finally showed the love it deserved and it’s the reason why they are getting snatched up and people are paying more to get them now more then ever. 

Wouldn’t kids the grew up in that era now be in their 40s maybe want this book and are going hard after them if they have the money . It can’t just be comic investors money here . 

1 hour ago, szav said:

It seems like it’d be relatively easy to manipulate the market on a book like this for the first and second prints.

If someone’s been buying up hundreds of copies for years this would still only represent a few million dollars worth.

Then all you may need to do is bid up a few of your books at auction to try and set the bar way higher, then start selling off your hundreds of copies slowly...

It always looked like that’s what was going on with Hulk 181 in 9.8 in recent years.

When you find that person who’s been buying up hundreds of copies for year, please let me know 😂.

9 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

When you find that person who’s been buying up hundreds of copies for year, please let me know 😂.

That’s the same sort of response I got a few months ago suggesting this could have happened with Hulk 181 9.8s!

No evidence at all, not saying it is happening, all I can say is if I was comfortably worth 20-30 million... my deranged brain might concoct such a scheme.

I saw reference by a well respected boardie/dealer here once to a guy who had over 100 AF15s... who knows.