• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

Lots of emotions going on. Lots of posts too, this is the most action this thread has seen in a long time. I don't follow other discussions (arguments) about hot books that much but I suspect its probably similar with the wide range of responses. I prefer this to the recent past with the schadenfreude of the 90K book slinking back to 50-60K. That really brought out the niceness in a few unmentionables.

8 hours ago, pubmonkey said:

Sorry, I don’t know what you are saying...

What I meant wan comics are not investments because my bank branch would laugh me out of their office if I said I had a commodity like a comic books . These things buy and sell and trade amongst us only. I’m very careful on word investment when related to comics  

3 hours ago, GM8 said:

Lots of emotions going on. Lots of posts too, this is the most action this thread has seen in a long time. I don't follow other discussions (arguments) about hot books that much but I suspect its probably similar with the wide range of responses. I prefer this to the recent past with the schadenfreude of the 90K book slinking back to 50-60K. That really brought out the niceness in a few unmentionables.

It's healthy to have a variety of opinions. People can get hurt speculating on books and thinking they only go up. Its fun to get caught up in the hype but if you cant afford to lose money, comics arent the best investment. Ive been collecting the toys for a long time and have built a nice collection. I sold my first 10 figures fan club flyer set  for 18k a couple of months ago but still have a ton of stuff. I never bought the book because Im in my late 30's and never had a connection with it. It's very different from all of the other turtles IP so im not sure kids growing up with the turtles today are going to want to pay up for something they really have no connection to. When we were kids and the turtles toys came out Turtles were huge! Now theyre just another toy in a sea of saturated toy aisles. The world is a very different place than it was in the 80's and 90's. 

There's also speculation and bubbles appearing in a variety of collectible markets. I dont collect Pokemon but it is 10xing right now. Boxes that people thought were garbage are selling for huge premiums out of nowhere. Same thing with Magic the gathering, comic books, toys, and even first edition books. People are bored at home with nothing to do and weak hands are entering these markets. Im a victim of the hype and suddenly found myself wanting a higher graded copy of tmnt 1 first print to supplant my 7.0 but after coming here it has been a sobering experience lol. 

Congrats to all the buyers that got in early on a TMNT first print. Its fun to see a book you own appreciate so quickly but be aware that market manipulation, speculation, and hype can drop a book as fast as it can go up. 

21 minutes ago, Charleybrown said:

It's healthy to have a variety of opinions. People can get hurt speculating on books and thinking they only go up. Its fun to get caught up in the hype but if you cant afford to lose money, comics arent the best investment. Ive been collecting the toys for a long time and have built a nice collection. I sold my first 10 figures fan club flyer set  for 18k a couple of months ago but still have a ton of stuff. I never bought the book because Im in my late 30's and never had a connection with it. It's very different from all of the other turtles IP so im not sure kids growing up with the turtles today are going to want to pay up for something they really have no connection to. When we were kids and the turtles toys came out Turtles were huge! Now theyre just another toy in a sea of saturated toy aisles. The world is a very different place than it was in the 80's and 90's. 

There's also speculation and bubbles appearing in a variety of collectible markets. I dont collect Pokemon but it is 10xing right now. Boxes that people thought were garbage are selling for huge premiums out of nowhere. Same thing with Magic the gathering, comic books, toys, and even first edition books. People are bored at home with nothing to do and weak hands are entering these markets. Im a victim of the hype and suddenly found myself wanting a higher graded copy of tmnt 1 first print to supplant my 7.0 but after coming here it has been a sobering experience lol. 

Congrats to all the buyers that got in early on a TMNT first print. Its fun to see a book you own appreciate so quickly but be aware that market manipulation, speculation, and hype can drop a book as fast as it can go up. 

Well Said! :headbang: It's a different era, and history is the only teacher. I personally wouldn't buy a tmnt now, but I can't afford it either lol, and also I feel the limited supply will always be lower than the demand for this particular book but that doesn't always translate to higher prices (thumbsu 

I was too tired last night to get the gist, that and it's been 95 degrees at 8:30pm here in Dallas with a feel like temp of 105, even late at night ha. My air conditioner already broke once this year lol ........ long story to say forgive me if I was too sensitive :) 

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

True, but we've got thousands of collectors paying $200 - $1,000 for the variants of first appearances of characters printed in the past three years (or the past three months) who have done nothing.

Characters like Virus, Knull, Punchline, etc., etc., etc., are as nothing as it gets and there's just as much money combined in the bubbles over those books. 

There are true market manipulations, speculations, and unsustainable hype all over this industry right now for characters with zero history or for issues which have no significance. 

There's a $20,000+ variant of the 667th issue Spider-Man from 2011 that is valued based on literally nothing-at-all. But it's rare, right? Valuable-just-because-its-rare-and-no-other-reason is moronic, there will always be rarer books/cards/coins printed, all the way down to unique books, then they'll put gold on a unique book, then they'll make the whole book out of gold, then they'll dip the gold in platinum and then die cut the cover and place an actual radioactive spider in the center in lucite).  Rare-and-that's-all is the worst reason to buy anything.

TMNT is easily the biggest property in the past 45 years, possibly bigger than EVERY character since Spider-Man (58 years ago), and there will never be more than 3,300 first printings.  There are more than 3,300 copies of Amazing Fantasy #15 already CGC graded.

"Ninja turtles" are better known than Wolverine, and there are more copies of Incredible Hulk #181 already CGC graded 9.4 or higher than ALL of the CGC graded copies of TMNT #1.

TMNT #1 is the "perfect storm" of comic books - known low print, 36 years old, black cover, oversized book, not-sold-in-stores, reprinted immediately, household name, many movies and cartoons and toys, decades of popularity, all starting from one specific comic book.

Would it have been a bad idea to "invest" in Amazing Fantasy #15 in 1998?  It was 36 years old.

Would it have been a bad idea to "invest" in Action Comics #1 in 1974?  It was 36 years old.

Would it have been a bad idea to "invest" in Incredible Hulk #181 in 2010?  it was 36 years old.

TMNT #1 is 36 years old.  Waiting for it to drop?  Good luck.

Is it on RallyRd yet?

:jokealert:

8 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Is it on RallyRd yet?

:jokealert:

That’s a great investment vehicle. You get to own fractional shares at top of the market prices and pay management fees, storage and maintenance fees and can only liquidate quarterly( which they apparently make it hard to do). It’s hard to believe people fall for such a scam in 2020. There’s another one called mythic markets and it’s the same thing. I’m surprised it’s not owned and operated by Tai Lopez.

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

True, but we've got thousands of collectors paying $200 - $1,000 for the variants of first appearances of characters printed in the past three years (or the past three months) who have done nothing.

Characters like Virus, Knull, Punchline, etc., etc., etc., are as nothing as it gets and there's just as much money combined in the bubbles over those books. 

There are true market manipulations, speculations, and unsustainable hype all over this industry right now for characters with zero history or for issues which have no significance. 

There's a $20,000+ variant of the 667th issue Spider-Man from 2011 that is valued based on literally nothing-at-all. But it's rare, right? Valuable-just-because-its-rare-and-no-other-reason is moronic, there will always be rarer books/cards/coins printed, all the way down to unique books, then they'll put gold on a unique book, then they'll make the whole book out of gold, then they'll dip the gold in platinum and then die cut the cover and place an actual radioactive spider in the center in lucite).  Rare-and-that's-all is the worst reason to buy anything.

TMNT is easily the biggest property in the past 45 years, possibly bigger than EVERY character since Spider-Man (58 years ago), and there will never be more than 3,300 first printings.  There are more than 3,300 copies of Amazing Fantasy #15 already CGC graded.

"Ninja turtles" are better known than Wolverine, and there are more copies of Incredible Hulk #181 already CGC graded 9.4 or higher than ALL of the CGC graded copies of TMNT #1.

TMNT #1 is the "perfect storm" of comic books - known low print, 36 years old, black cover, oversized book, not-sold-in-stores, reprinted immediately, household name, many movies and cartoons and toys, decades of popularity, all starting from one specific comic book.

Would it have been a bad idea to "invest" in Amazing Fantasy #15 in 1998?  It was 36 years old.

Would it have been a bad idea to "invest" in Action Comics #1 in 1974?  It was 36 years old.

Would it have been a bad idea to "invest" in Incredible Hulk #181 in 2010?  it was 36 years old.

Spot on (thumbsu

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Easily the biggest in the last 45yrs? Bigger than Star Wars the biggest Ip of all time? Star Wars experienced a boom in 2012 thanks to the Disney catalyst and now prices (for toys) are normalizing after a small correction. Also I wasn’t familiar with the 36 year rule! None of those books you cited inflated in price by double after hitting the 36 year mark in the middle of a pandemic induced collectibles boom.

14 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:
15 hours ago, Charleybrown said:

You have to ask the question...why has there been a price increase? The marvel cinematic universe. Will that continue to be the case? There needs to be another catalyst for tmnt and marvel for prices to keep going up. There is a long overdue correction needed but no one can time it perfectly. I was looking for another first print tmnt but I’ll wait for Better prices. If I’m wrong and still want it then it’ll be there For sale. For now I’ll enjoy my measly 7.0 lol

Yeah I mean comic book movies ain’t going anywhere lol. So we will be flush with Marvel and DC cinematic and tv universes for some time, keeping interest in the comics. As far as TMNT goes and once again, the Seth Rogen revamped animated series is around the corner. When stuff like that happens and if popular, tends to potentially lead to others things as well. Personally, I think a darker, R-rated TMNT movie would be awesome! Something more in line with the original concept/comics as it was more violent. But we’ll see lol

Can I ask you guys why you think TMNT 1 will be the one and only exception to the rule that a movie or TV hyped related comic book will simply keep going up in price without a major price correction even though every other comic book driven by wild feverish speculation throughout comic book history has dropped after their period of irrational exuberance?  hm

7 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

What I meant wan comics are not investments because my bank branch would laugh me out of their office if I said I had a commodity like a comic books . These things buy and sell and trade amongst us only. I’m very careful on word investment when related to comics  

When you say amongst us only what you do mean? Because I’m pretty sure the buyers market has expanded DRASTICALLY over the last 10 years! People definitely perceive comics as investments now more than ever, and there’s a lot of people out there that spend some serious mula with that in mind. Now I’m not saying comics are a better investment than many other things out there, but they can definitely produce some solid gains.

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Can I ask you guys why you think TMNT 1 will be the one and only exception to the rule that a movie or TV hyped related comic book will simply keep going up in price without a major price correction even though every other comic book driven by wild feverish speculation throughout comic book history has dropped after their period of irrational exuberance?  hm

I don’t think one person here has said that TMNT 1 or any comic for that matter will be an exception to a price correction 🤔, atleast not me. And I acknowledge that many big comics have leveled off over the years. I’ve said I think several times in this thread I don’t disagree there may end up being a bigger market wide price correction, however I also feel it may not happen. For the sheer fact once again that I’ve heard it for 10 years and still waiting for it to happen. So I’m not as confident as you or others are that this prophesied price correction is 100% around the corner, but also saying I won’t be surprised if it does. I definitely think the routine content for these massive properties helps comics and keeps them in a better place from this possible or dare I say likely price correction, but who knows maybe that won’t make a difference ultimately.

14 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I don’t think one person here has said that TMNT 1 or any comic for that matter will be an exception to a price correction 🤔, atleast not me. And I acknowledge that many big comics have leveled off over the years. I’ve said I think several times in this thread I don’t disagree there may end up being a bigger market wide price correction, however I also feel it may not happen. For the sheer fact once again that I’ve heard it for 10 years and still waiting for it to happen. So I’m not as confident as you or others are that this prophesied price correction is 100% around the corner, but also saying I won’t be surprised if it does. I definitely think the routine content for these massive properties helps comics and keeps them in a better place from this possible or dare I say likely price correction, but who knows maybe that won’t make a difference ultimately.

You’re also not mentioning the real push behind all of this...the federal reserve printing machine. We’ve been printing money since 2008. We just shut down the entire US economy and were in a recession yet asset prices are still inflated and were almost back to all time highs. I had a high net worth individual who owed me 55k Ask if he could Go on a long term payment plan because the market dropped in March. He’s finally getting around to paying me off now that the stock market has regained all losses. If the stock market drops again you might see a 9.6 first print sell for 18k just like it did in March this year.

15 minutes ago, Charleybrown said:

If the stock market drops again you might see a 9.6 first print sell for 18k just like it did in March this year.

Well, the market is still down if you had invested into some of the travel related stocks like the airlines or the cruise ship companies.  :tonofbricks:

Then again, if you had invested into super high P/E companies like Tesla or Shopify when they bottomed out in March, you would be laughing and dancing all the way to the bank.  :whee: :banana:

Edited by lou_fine

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, the market is still down if you had invested into some of the travel related stocks like the airlines or the cruise ship companies.  :tonofbricks:

Then again, if you had invested into super high P/E companies like Tesla or Shopify when they bottomed out in March, you would be laughing and dancing all the way to the bank.  :whee: :banana:

I’m just talking about the indices not individual stocks. But yes some people are having fun right now. One of the reasons I’m willing to slightly overpay for a nice copy but not gonna pay stupid prices which is what we’re seeing now.

8 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

I’m happy for owners that are seeing big gains it’s awesome and I’m feeling anger with myself lol for letting mine go . I def have this on my top ten wants but at these prices I don’t see how I could ever buy again . All lower grade copies are locked up tight. I’m hoping for a miracle now 

This is a incredible book to say the least and I agree majority of the first prints especially the lower to mid and high end grades are locked up in collectors vaults now. This is why when u see a first print hit the market collectors know dam well it's gonna fetch a premium because there not abundant like some Silver age or Bronze Age keys. 

5 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well Said! :headbang: It's a different era, and history is the only teacher. I personally wouldn't buy a tmnt now, but I can't afford it either lol, and also I feel the limited supply will always be lower than the demand for this particular book but that doesn't always translate to higher prices (thumbsu 

I was too tired last night to get the gist, that and it's been 95 degrees at 8:30pm here in Dallas with a feel like temp of 105, even late at night ha. My air conditioner already broke once this year lol ........ long story to say forgive me if I was too sensitive :) 

Limited supply will always lower the demand? U have that wrong my friend,,if anything a limited supply will always have a stronger demand. Which is why the book is pushing harder then ever before. If supply's were limited and the demand so weak then I guess that 9.8 that sold over 70k was a fluke right... 😳😐

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

Knull and Iris the Virus hahahha I love when u see fools who part with their money on those books.. It makes me laugh and if Matrix was here he'd laugh too..😂😂 "Commando" 

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

Brilliant way u put that.... Bravo!! Couldn't have written that better myself.. A person who purchased Action comics #1 in 1970 I believe payed 1500 for it back then. He said if it goes up to 10,000 in a decade or 2 he would be extremely happy.. Understatement and yet TMNT #1 first print is the lowest printed book of all time when u look at the popularity and the solid foundation it has takes for 36yrs.. You ain't seen nothing yet if u think the prices right now are high.. Hold onto ur first prints fellas it's about to go nuclear.. 👍💥