• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,735 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Charleybrown said:
51 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Glad you found that Sam loophole, I see you like to use it a lot. 

And snowflake, very cool. You’re a fun person. 

I wouldn’t be upset if you went to another forum where you could use whatever words you want. 

I was quoting a movie line from a comedy...and I actually think theyre awesome and have superhuman strength.

Perfect.

While you're here, could you tell us who you think excels the most at sports and why?

4 hours ago, Kalel38 said:

If u read my post properly  ud see I'm not comparing the history of Superman 1 to TMNT 1.. Im taking about the 35-36yr age that TMNT 1 has hit 70k well before Superman 1 in the span of 35yrs. 35yrs later 1939-1974 Superman 1 was not a 70k book let alone 20k.. So,if u want to debate on numbers there's the facts Jack... Superman 1 is king but in 35-36yrs old TMNT 1 is the winner.. Can't fight fate mate 

Overstreet price guide came out in 1970...that was when people realized that comics could have value. Comic book collecting wasnt really a thing which is why comparing TMNT to Superman, AC or even AF 15 is asinine. At any moment a ton of high grade copies of TMNT 1 could flood the market and you'd see the price drop instantly. It's kind of amazing how the supply is so limited at the moment and no one is listing mid grade copies. The 6.5 sale for 12k might bring out a few sellers. 

2 hours ago, Charleybrown said:
7 hours ago, Kalel38 said:

If u read my post properly  ud see I'm not comparing the history of Superman 1 to TMNT 1.. Im taking about the 35-36yr age that TMNT 1 has hit 70k well before Superman 1 in the span of 35yrs. 35yrs later 1939-1974 Superman 1 was not a 70k book let alone 20k.. So,if u want to debate on numbers there's the facts Jack... Superman 1 is king but in 35-36yrs old TMNT 1 is the winner.. Can't fight fate mate 

Overstreet price guide came out in 1970...that was when people realized that comics could have value. Comic book collecting wasnt really a thing which is why comparing TMNT to Superman, AC or even AF 15 is asinine. At any moment a ton of high grade copies of TMNT 1 could flood the market and you'd see the price drop instantly. It's kind of amazing how the supply is so limited at the moment and no one is listing mid grade copies. The 6.5 sale for 12k might bring out a few sellers. 

Besides that, $70K in the early to mid 70's is very different from $70K in 2020.  (thumbsu

Especially since $70K was probably good enough to buy you a nice house back in the 70's, whereas $70K is probably only good enough to buy you a nice car nowadays.  If you want that same $70K quality house from the 70's, it would probably run you into the millions nowadays.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, DTM700 said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

If you want that same $70K quality house from the 70's, it would probably run you into the millions nowadays.  hm

More along the lines of $470k. But that’s neither here nor there.

https://www.saving.org/inflation/inflation.php?amount=70,000&year=1970

No arguments from me here if you are simply referring to a straight inflation calculator.  (thumbsu

I was referring it to more from the purchasing power POV when it comes to buying a house.  All I know is that the house which my parents brought back in the early 80's (not even as far back as the early 70's) for something like $148K is now apparently worth something close to $3M even though it's an absolute piece of turd in its present condition.  :p

41 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

No arguments from me here if you are simply referring to a straight inflation calculator.  (thumbsu

I was referring it to more from the purchasing power POV when it comes to buying a house.  All I know is that the house which my parents brought back in the early 80's (not even as far back as the early 70's) for something like $148K is now apparently worth something close to $3M even though it's an absolute piece of turd in its present condition.  :p

I think most people (with the exception of Erol) understand economics and why you cant compare TMNT 1 to Superman 1!

13 minutes ago, Charleybrown said:

I think most people (with the exception of Erol) understand economics and why you cant compare TMNT 1 to Superman 1!

Comparing the decades it took a book to reach over 50,000 regardless of grade is irrelevant as Superman 1 nor Batman #1 achieved such a feet in its 35 yr age.. 

16 minutes ago, Charleybrown said:

On the contrary Charlie I know a lot about economics especially in comics and the prices from the past to present and what people were paying back when and present. 

5 hours ago, Charleybrown said:

At any moment a ton of high grade copies of TMNT 1 could flood the market and you'd see the price drop instantly. It's kind of amazing how the supply is so limited at the moment and no one is listing mid grade copies. The 6.5 sale for 12k might bring out a few sellers. 

There is no mystery stash of 1,000 9.8 1st prints waiting on the sidelines. The instant they hit the ten-thousand dollar mark caused probably 80% of them to be graded. Sorry it just doesn't make sense otherwise. Contrarianism for its own sake is pointless.

Just now, GM8 said:

There is no mystery stash of 1,000 9.8 1st prints waiting on the sidelines. The instant they hit the ten-thousand dollar mark caused probably 80% of them to be graded. Sorry it just doesn't make sense otherwise. Contrarianism for its own sake is pointless.

Im not only talking about 9.8's...there are almost 300 from 9.0 to 9.8 on the census. Who knows how many ungraded copies are out there. What other high dollar comic has that population in high grade? And these prices have spiked in the last few months. These is a perfect storm going on right now and its ideal if youre selling but dont expect it to last. 

38 minutes ago, Kalel38 said:
56 minutes ago, Charleybrown said:

On the contrary Charlie I know a lot about economics especially in comics and the prices from the past to present and what people were paying back when and present. 

Hmmm..........economics, maybe a professor of economics............Barton, are you finally back with us once again after schooling us on the merits on NM 98 in CGC 9.8 all those long years ago?  :preach:

If this is indeed you, Boston, I see you are still schooling us the with same old lecture here and simply changing the name of the book from NM 98 to TMNT 1.  hm

If so, all I can say is "Thus endth the lesson".  lol lol

Edited by lou_fine

1 minute ago, Charleybrown said:

Im not only talking about 9.8's...there are almost 300 from 9.0 to 9.8 on the census. Who knows how many ungraded copies are out there. What other high dollar comic has that population in high grade? And these prices have spiked in the last few months. These is a perfect storm going on right now and its ideal if youre selling but dont expect it to last. 

The same translates across all grades, of course. You're asking about 300 high grade comics of a pop-culture sensation, implying that's huge. It's the opposite.

17 hours ago, Kalel38 said:

Cerebus #1 does not have the fan base as Tmnt does from the cartons to the toys or Nickelodeon.. Cerebus is a niche book Tmnt 1 is a grail book big big difference.. 

When Neil Gaiman lists you as a grail, I don't think you can count Cerebus out.

13 minutes ago, GM8 said:
18 minutes ago, Charleybrown said:

The same translates across all grades, of course. You're asking about 300 high grade comics of a pop-culture sensation, implying that's huge. It's the opposite.

I believe you missed his point with respect to it being a high dollar value comic book.  :gossip:

Off the top of my head, the only book that comes to mind is Hulk 181 which numbers in a couple of thousand copies in CGC 9.0 or above.  (thumbsu

From a truly vintage collectible comic book point of view, having a few hundred copies of a high dollar value comic book already slabbed in high grade is indeed a "relatively huge" number of copies.  Especially when they tend to show up in the marketplace in numbers with relative ease, as compared to some of the truly rarer comic books which only shows up once every few years if you are lucky.  :(

That's the definite advantage with books like TMNT 1, Hulk 181, Spidey 300, etc. being readily available in the marketplace because you need this ongoing market action in order to drive the value of a book upwards.  On the other hand, extremely rare books definitely have this working against them as there are simply not enough copies showing up in the marketplace to drive any real type of market action.  hm

50 minutes ago, GM8 said:

Pop culture sensation doesnt mean the people buying neca figures right now are going to fork over 40-50k for a 9.6 TMNT 1. There's a very small pool of buyers at that level and for 40-50k theyre going to look at other books that have been proven over time. Id rather have a Fantastic Four 5 9.2 for 50k over a TMNT 1 9.6. TMNT 1 deserves a premium right now because its a hot book but this appears to be market manipulation hence the 79k fake sale on gpa. I spoke to someone else last night that has 6 copies ranging from 8.0 to 9.4. These are not strong hands holding these books except maybe the few people defending the book on here right now lol.

2 hours ago, Charleybrown said:

Pop culture sensation doesnt mean the people buying neca figures right now are going to fork over 40-50k for a 9.6 TMNT 1. There's a very small pool of buyers at that level and for 40-50k theyre going to look at other books that have been proven over time. Id rather have a Fantastic Four 5 9.2 for 50k over a TMNT 1 9.6. TMNT 1 deserves a premium right now because its a hot book but this appears to be market manipulation hence the 79k fake sale on gpa. I spoke to someone else last night that has 6 copies ranging from 8.0 to 9.4. These are not strong hands holding these books except maybe the few people defending the book on here right now lol.

You've got great arguments for you to never buy a copy of TMNT #1. In fact, by your own logic if you had a low grade copy you should get rid of it right away, before the world comes to its senses! hurry!

I don't doubt the American consumer. New movie with Seth Rogen behind the wheel. I don't think we've seen the top.

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I believe you missed his point with respect to it being a high dollar value comic book.  :gossip:

Off the top of my head, the only book that comes to mind is Hulk 181 which numbers in a couple of thousand copies in CGC 9.0 or above.  (thumbsu

From a truly vintage collectible comic book point of view, having a few hundred copies of a high dollar value comic book already slabbed in high grade is indeed a "relatively huge" number of copies.  Especially when they tend to show up in the marketplace in numbers with relative ease, as compared to some of the truly rarer comic books which only shows up once every few years if you are lucky.  :(

That's the definite advantage with books like TMNT 1, Hulk 181, Spidey 300, etc. being readily available in the marketplace because you need this ongoing market action in order to drive the value of a book upwards.  On the other hand, extremely rare books definitely have this working against them as there are simply not enough copies showing up in the marketplace to drive any real type of market action.  hm

Oh I get the high-dollar part of it. It's all relative imho. Small # of buyers and all that. Yes. But TMNT I would argue has way more individual fans than most any of the individual superheroes save Batman and Spiderman. Hulk doesn't compare, nor Superman as of late. Even Wolverine doesn't have the same mass appeal outside of comic fandom. Just my opinion, who knows maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by GM8

9 minutes ago, GM8 said:

You've got great arguments for you to never buy a copy of TMNT #1. In fact, by your own logic if you had a low grade copy you should get rid of it right away, before the world comes to its senses! hurry!

I don't doubt the American consumer. New movie with Seth Rogen behind the wheel. I don't think we've seen the top.

I own a 7.0...so yes I’ve bought a copy already.