• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

People buy books, sell them, buy new ones again and resell all the time. If a book gets too expensive then it will sit and never sell. While other comparable calls sell in the process. That’s not some massive scheme though. Collectors who want TMNT 1’s are just as much to blame for its meteoric rise as much as dealers buying them to flip. That’s not a scheme though and there’s nothing wrong with it. I can tell you have some very negative feelings for whatever reason, I don’t share them personally. Anyway, I don’t think you have any more proof of anything than the next person, just a theory. And I don’t think anyone will be priced out of this industry. People younger and older will always have money to spend.

We are not talking hundreds of dollars anymore but thousands . I highly doubt this appetite can continue in healthy way . There are wealthy people no doubt are they buying these all up ? 

print run 1st 3000

second run 6000

third run 30000

even at the two first printings there are 9000 copies out there . Where are they ? There are rarer variants today with print runs under 500 that don’t see these ludicrous climbs. The fact it’s a key plays into price hikes wether justified or not . Two years ago TMNT 1 and Albedo 2 were attainable comics ? Then what happened ? Don’t say it was a new movie or cartoon that’s garbage . Nobody cares about turtles today or the samurai rabbit . It’s fact . Comics for both  barley sell I grew up in height of turtle mania . It was special and it’s shelf life is gone !

Im sure prices won’t come down you know why? The fat wallets that are buying these up for the next flip will dictate price again ! And again ! And again ! 

The TMNT merchandise machine has been really strong since Viacom bought the property. My kids, neither of which watch the cartoons or care about existing or future movies, still wear the shirts, play with the toys, own the backpacks, etc. The TMNT IP is still very much alive and maintaining positive mind share across several generations. 

I'm not saying that any of this explains the sudden price escalations in the comics. My general belief is that these increases are merely in line with industry trends these last few months. If people are willing to pay $9000 for a variant from ten years ago then paying $9000 for a blue chip key from 1984 really isn't a far stretch. 

With that said, the premise that "nobody cares" about the TMNT property, in and of itself, is not "fact". NECA, for example, has been making a lot of money from their premium action figure line for many years. Saying that current TMNT comic book sales is representative of their popularity is no different than saying the same of Spider-Man. If Disney canceled all Spider-Man comics, 99% of the character's fan base wouldn't even notice. 

14 minutes ago, pubmonkey said:

That’s the most uninformed, naive, and or ridiculous thing posted in this thread. If you are simply reflecting that you do not like the turtles then please leave this thread and don’t post in our club anymore. You are not welcome.

before you leave please inform us of your favorite book so we can go and dump on it’s thread for no other reason than for being negative.

good day!

Yeah this guy just seems to have an agenda from what I can tell. Dear Subby, you have no proof of your conspiracy theories and worst yet, they’re lacking in any real depth. 9 thousand copies for the first two prints is NOTHING! You know where they are? Predominantly in collectors collections, with some collectors, dealers and flippers selling in the process. You do seem to have a nauseating hatred for the turtles and now that cute bunny Albedo 🤦‍♂️.

Edited by LDarkseid1

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

You do seem to have a nauseating hatred for the turtles and now that cute bunny Albedo 🤦‍♂️.

Some people just love to hate what they don't like or understand.  Sadly it's become human nature of ignorance and frankly, It's quite silly.  It's like the turtles ninja kicked him in the gonads or something and he has a personal mission to tear down their popularity.  Pretty easy to see how the Turtles are still popular today if you open your eyes and listen (actively listen) to what others say about them.

3 hours ago, pubmonkey said:

That’s the most uninformed, naive, and or ridiculous thing posted in this thread. If you are simply reflecting that you do not like the turtles then please leave this thread and don’t post in our club anymore. You are not welcome.

before you leave please inform us of your favorite book so we can go and dump on it’s thread for no other reason than for being negative.

good day!

I can post wherever I want . I’ve owned all these books so I’m more than educated in price and opinion . Who are you to tell me I’m not allowed . 

5 hours ago, Ryan. said:

If people are willing to pay $9000 for a variant from ten years ago then paying $9000 for a blue chip key from 1984 really isn't a far stretch. 

This is a major factor.  Collectors/investors who have not spent decades in a hobby/industry don't have any pre-conceived notions about pricing.  When you see a recent comic selling for $5,000+, you might start with that fact... ask yourself what to expect an older key issue to cost... and if you think "well, it should probably $25,000+ for a key issue, since that nothing book is $5,000+" then you would quickly jump on a key issue for $15,000 when you figured it would be $25,000+.  It doesn't matter if the $15,000 book was $5,000 last year.  You either sit back and wait for the price to drop, or you get in there at $15,000 because you "valued it" (in your mind) at $25,000+ first.