• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,735 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

When I see pics like these, it makes me think that this book is really readily available in all of its variations which it clearly as, as long as you are willing to open up your wallet a bit.  :bigsmile:

In fact, so readily available and with many multiples held by possibly the same owners, relatively easy to manipulate the TMNT 1 market to a certain extent if you really wanted to and decided to put your mind to it.  hm  (tsk)

ANY book is readily available with the exception of various golden age books. And many books can be manipulated. One would think the smaller the availability, the easier it would be to corner the market.

10 minutes ago, DTM700 said:

One would think the smaller the availability, the easier it would be to corner the market.

Are you referring to Silver Thursday and what happened to Nelson Bunker Hunt when he attempted to corner the silver market back in the turn of the 80's, as we all know what happened there.    :tonofbricks:  :tonofbricks:

Maybe looking backwards in the future, we will just have a TMNT 1 day here also.  hm  lol

14 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Well I can tell you there’s definitely 3,000 1st prints, 6,000 2nd prints and 35,000 3rd prints. Assuming none were thrown out between now and 1984/1985.

Well, let's not forget about all of the mothers that would be throwing that horrid looking POS book out into the trash once they got a look at the artwork in there.  :p

Then again, I guess we shouldn't forget about all of this new fangled high tech equipment that's around nowadays like high end full colored photocopying machines and all types of paper stock to choose from.  :devil:  lol

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, let's not forget about all of the mothers that would be throwing that horrid looking POS book out into the trash once they got a look at the artwork in there.  :p

Then again, I guess we shouldn't forget about all of this new fangled high tech equipment that's around nowadays like high end full colored photocopying machines and all types of paper stock to choose from.  :devil:  lol

You really think Eastman and Laird's collaborative artwork is bad? 

2 minutes ago, Ryan. said:
10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

You really think Eastman and Laird's collaborative artwork is bad? 

Well, it's really a case of to each their own I would have to say. (thumbsu

Especially since I am clearly much more of a mainstream artist type of collector as opposed to an Crumb like underground artist type of collector.  Definitely the reason why I handed back that first print copy of TMNT 1 as fast as I could to the LCS owner when he said he could ordered me a copy direct from Mirage for the then outrageous  and  :screwy: price of $300, and decided to go instead for that signed and limited hardover edition of the Dark Knight book by Frank Miller for the now :screwy:  :screwy: overprice amount of $40 back then.  doh!

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

You're a classy guy, thanks for your contribution

Edited by pubmonkey

13 minutes ago, pubmonkey said:

You're a classy guy, thanks for your contribution

You are most welcome, and for your information, I have a nice clean garbage can and now willing to sacrifice its sheer beauty by taking those nasty and trashy looking copies of TMNT 1 off everybody's hands and tossing them all in there and making this world a much more beautiful place for all of us.  :takeit:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

Well, it's really a case of to each their own I would have to say. (thumbsu

Especially since I am clearly much more of a mainstream artist type of collector as opposed to an Crumb like underground artist type of collector.  Definitely the reason why I handed back that first print copy of TMNT 1 as fast as I could to the LCS owner when he said he could ordered me a copy direct from Mirage for the then outrageous  and  :screwy: price of $300, and decided to go instead for that signed and limited hardover edition of the Dark Knight book by Frank Miller for the now :screwy:  :screwy: overprice amount of $40 back then.  doh!

Are you sure you've actually seen the artwork? Maybe you've been confusing this comic with something else for the past 36 years. 

5 hours ago, spracknetch23 said:

Since all TMNT #1 printings are welcome here, here's an image of my #1 printings collection from 2015. Unfortunately I've sold a few since. 

1st printing wasn't available for the photo :( 

1st row: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th softcover, 6th hardcover, PBBZ printing

2nd row: 2009 color reprint, 2009 color reprint (error), FCBD '09, FCBD '09 signed by Laird, Gamestop reprint, Gamestop reprint still shrink wrapped, Color Classics 1

3rd row: Color Classics 1 variant, SDCC 2014 printing, SDCC 2014 printing variant signed, Ultimate Visual History reprint, SDCC Lego printing, SDCC Lego printing variant cover. Whew!

TMNT v1 01.JPG

do you have the 35th anniversy edition?

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

When I see pics like these, it makes me think that this book is really readily available in all of its variations which it clearly as, as long as you are willing to open up your wallet a bit.  :bigsmile:

In fact, so readily available and with many multiples held by possibly the same owners, relatively easy to manipulate the TMNT 1 market to a certain extent if you really wanted to and decided to put your mind to it.  hm  (tsk)

You realize the pictures you quoted are all different printings/editions. Between those two photos there is one first print. 

On top of that, all the comics pictured are only a single copy. So what are you trying to prove?

Edited by manetteska
typo

On 8/26/2020 at 6:35 PM, Subby1938 said:

I could care less 

sold these in last few years :

albedo 2 cgc 9.6

tmnt 1 first print cgc 9.0

ASM 1 cgc 4.5

AF15 cgc 2.0

ASM run 2-800 complete run

many others 

I cashed out and I’m happy I did . Every single one of these books is available to buy at any time . They are only paper I put money to great use buying my home . That’s smart business ! 

Thank you so much for your obvious observation of amazing financial knowledge. Wish I would have known what you possess. 

I think I actual disagree with the notion of market manipulation. I definitely think a lot of people are purchasing with intent to flip, but that’s not manipulating the market, simply taking advantage of an opportunity. Also obviously a lot of collectors clearly are hot on the book and want to buy them.

Edited by LDarkseid1

10 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

do you have the 35th anniversy edition?

I don't. I stopped collecting all the reprints a couple of years ago. The last one I picked up was the Artisan Edition, a cool hardcover printing which used scans of the original art, and printed in the size of the original art. It's packed away (I'm in the middle of moving), but here's a pic I took at the time.

TMNT_Artisan.jpg

Edited by spracknetch23

1 hour ago, dinesh_s said:

Won the auction on ComicLink yesterday for the printers proof of TMNT #1. Don't own a copy of the actual book but maybe this count? :grin:

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 12.59.27 PM.png

I don't know... that cover is pretty weak. hm

(thumbsu

On 8/27/2020 at 5:32 PM, lou_fine said:

Readily available? Clearly available?........if fat wallets??   
I don’t see that with all the prints/variations. Nor did my wallet alone, grant any of my issues and their prints/variants. My #1 first print started out as a 9.6 in 2011 I think. And used it to upgrade for a 9.8 trade. My #3 Variant also I started out with a 9.6 and did the same. Both transactions I also used other TMNT books in the cash/trade with my 9.6 for a 9.8. Those were my biggest purchases.
(Besides all the $$$$$ I give CGC when subbing TMNT books. Not joking)

As for my sixth print #1, or anybody who has one in HG raw or slabbed. It’s not a fat wallet lol or even a 5th print #1 or even #4 Manufacturing Error - it was a lot of hunting, or winning one (nothing ludicrous $ wise) off eBay/site//auction house, or subbing or knowing someone....or knowing someone who knows someone. I Lucked out with my 6th print.   
I knew a TMNT fan/aficionado/collector Boardie who was kind enough and sold me theirs because their TMNT collecting was turning more to the OA.   
Actually 3 of my more rare or unique or coveted books in my set - I purchased from some of the Founding TMNT Fathers on these Boards. All three went more into the awesome OA collecting of TMNT. Pretty cool🤘 

#1 6th print is not a manipulated book/market or fat wallet book. It’s good luck finding one in HG and cherish it when you do and sell/pass it along to someone who will pay for it and appreciate owning one, or sell on site or auction house and try and get top dollar for your book. 

B5614FD2-C0E7-4246-A4B3-1A48195187ED.thumb.png.0eeca9bf850312d2eb54c1ed6e4d2b23.png

Edited by Icculus308win

Since 08 I’ve never seen so many Debbie Downers, Negative Nellys or just haters like as of late in a #1 book thread all at once, all of a sudden. At least never in any GA, SA, Copper threads I’ve ventured into. These threads are supposed to fun, informative, cool - these are the threads I look forward to seeing what’s up with a Title I love, books I love. 

Hey if you don’t like a certain title, book, art/artists, writers - totally get it. It is what makes the world go round. But don’t rain on parades of those that really like it, for so many different reasons. ✌️ 

Edited by Icculus308win