• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

He missed out on a lot of money selling early.

Actually made 85K on my Spiderman books then made another 200K on my Condo purchase . Thanks for filing him in...

Also I never sold it I traded for AF15 so .....I did well 

anybody else want to stir up problems with good members  then go cry to admin to have me banned? It sounds like I know who’s behind it . A loser! 

Edited by Subby1938

1 hour ago, tvindy said:

I'll use my first post to join this group. I bought a TMNT #1 first edition back in 1984 when it first came out. Back then, I bought all my comics from a wholesaler, so I actually paid less for it than cover price. I've just started going through my old comic book collection, separating out the most valuable comics. I figured I should send TMNT off to CGC, since not only is it valuable, but it wasn't even bagged! I'd feel a lot more secure with it slabbed. CGC said it would be a good candidate for pressing, so I authorized pressing. (It had gotten a bit rolled, since it hadn't remained completely upright in the box it was stored in.) I was expecting a grade from 7.0 to 8.0, but when I finally got the grade, it was 9.6! (Certification #3710982001) I'm quite happy with this news, and I'll be holding onto it for at least a few more years, so I can enjoy owning it for awhile.

Congrats 👍. As far as the book goes, I would definitely

D15B94CD-F3BF-4B90-B6C5-035158FB3513.jpeg

I agree. I'm sure there'll be a short-term dip in the near future, but I think I'd really regret it if I sold it now and then checked the price again in twenty years. This is definitely a long-term hold. (Plus I enjoy being able to brag that I own a $35,000 comic book.) 

35 minutes ago, tvindy said:

I agree. I'm sure there'll be a short-term dip in the near future, but I think I'd really regret it if I sold it now and then checked the price again in twenty years. This is definitely a long-term hold. (Plus I enjoy being able to brag that I own a $35,000 comic book.) 

Post a photo when you can. Would love to see it!

3 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Post a photo when you can. Would love to see it!

I'll try. I'm actually overseas now. (I live most of the time in Brazil.) I didn't know CGC would be so slow to grade, so I thought I'd get it back before I had to leave the US. Family members are receiving it for me. I'll ask them to take a photo and email it to me, but they aren't very tech-savvy. Attaching a photo to an email may pose a challenge to them, and since they are already doing me a favor, I don't want to this to become a major hassle for them. If they manage to send a photo, I'll post it. Otherwise, I'll take one next year when I'm back in the States.

tl;dr I'll try, but no guarantees.

I was a very mild collector back in the 80s and focused mostly on Epic, Heavy Metal, Twisted Tales, Alien Worlds, etc.  I happened to be in the comic shop here in VT, Earth Prime Comics, back in 1984(?) when the owner cracked open a box from "some artist friends" of his.  It was TMNT #1.  I was right there, saw him open the box.  He had a stack of 20 or so.  It wasn't my usual cup of tea, but there I was, so I grabbed it.  Later, I picked up the 1st print of the second edition.

They've been sitting bagged, in boxes, since then, after being read once or twice.  A few weeks ago, I thought about them for the first time in years.  Maybe it's because I have 2 kids in college.  But I thought I'd look them up.

Imagine my surprise.  

Reading this thread, it occurred to me that you might like seeing an example of the classic "found in an attic" treasure trove.  I'll share these pictures here - you can see both Eastman and Laird signatures, you can see the Gobbledygook ad pages (which I just learned about), you can see it's in pretty good shape.  Looks like I need to make a small investment to get this thing "slabbed."  I found some other goodies in my collection, but obviously nothing like this.

Besides the obvious certification of the issue, if anyone has any advice - especially because I'm inclined to sell it (see the college comment above) - I'd be grateful!  Thanks.

20200821_175204-2.jpg

20200821_175223-2.jpg

20200821_175249-2.jpg

20200821_175317-2.jpg

20200821_175404-2.jpg

20200821_175416-2.jpg

13 hours ago, Chip Hart said:

if anyone has any advice - especially because I'm inclined to sell it (see the college comment above) - I'd be grateful!

Definitely get it pressed. A small boost to the grade can add thousands of dollars to its value.

Isn't it great when comics you bought as a child pay off big time when you grow up? I remember telling adults all the time how my comic book collection would one day be worth big bucks. It turns out I was right. :bigsmile:

36 minutes ago, tvindy said:

Definitely get it pressed. A small boost to the grade can add thousands of dollars to its value.

Thanks - this looked like the thing to do, but it's nice to have confirmation.  Unfortunately, there's no dealer near me I can confer with.  I called a dealer about 90m from me last week and had a long chat with an employee, but no return call.  Oh well!

1 hour ago, tvindy said:

I remember telling adults all the time how my comic book collection would one day be worth big bucks. It turns out I was right. :bigsmile:

Unless you were a kid in the 90s and stocked up on that sweet sweet polybagged "collector's edition" of X-Factor #1  :banana:

1 hour ago, Nic8612 said:

So what you're saying is there's still a chance that X-Factor #1 could blow up?!

Yes, or maybe something else that you collected. (Who know? Twenty years from now, Disney could release an X-Factor trilogy into the Marvel cinematic universe.)

Edited by tvindy
added additional wisdom