• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,735 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Nic8612 said:
2 hours ago, tvindy said:

90s kids aren't yet adults, though. :nyah:

So what you're saying is there's still a chance that X-Factor #1 could blow up?!

Only if you wrap it around a stick of dynamite

5 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:
29 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Born in 1990 to 1999 would be 21 to 30 years old. :kidaround:

In some societies, you don’t reach peak maturity/adulthood until your 50’s 🤷‍♂️😂

There's no bouncer keeping immature adults out of places because they're not 50... except maybe the Golden Corral buffet senior discount.

7 hours ago, valiantman said:

Born in 1990 to 1999 would be 21 to 30 years old. :kidaround:

That seems extremely young to me. Keeping your childhood comics into your thirties isn't particularly challenging. otoh centenarians who still have their old comics have definitely achieved something. And most people would agree that centenarians are adults. How could someone seventy years younger be considered an adult?

36 minutes ago, tvindy said:

That seems extremely young to me. Keeping your childhood comics into your thirties isn't particularly challenging. otoh centenarians who still have their old comics have definitely achieved something. And most people would agree that centenarians are adults. How could someone seventy years younger be considered an adult?

21 is the legal age to drink in America. So I consider that adulthood personally lol.

1 hour ago, tvindy said:

Sure, but you have to be at least 35 to be President.

Well that’s certainly a new guide for adulthood 😂. The age one can become President is when they reach maturity 😂😂😂. I think drinking age will do fine 🤔. Here’s what the US considers an adult.

DDC96C2D-B1DC-49C4-84EE-9FCC4FF14BAD.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

2 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Well that’s certainly a new guide for adulthood 😂. The age one can become President is when they reach maturity 😂😂😂. I think drinking age will do fine 🤔

I know I'm being silly, so I just want to clarify for everyone reading this that my basic point is just that people who were 90s kids don't yet have old enough collections to see any substantial value yet. I was born in 1968 and did nearly all of my collecting from around 1977 to 1987. I turned 30 in '98, and there really wasn't a huge amount of value in my collection back then. But now I'm starting to see huge gains. To give one example that's relevant to this thread, my TMNT #1 first edition (recently graded at 9.6) is at least an order of magnitude more valuable today than in 1998, probably substantially more. It's really too early to know for sure what the ultimate value of certain 90s titles will be, so don't throw them out. Pack them away somewhere secure, and then revisit them after you retire.

52 minutes ago, pubmonkey said:

ZJust finished watching 2 hours of those YouTube videos...thanks guys! doh!

...you know, cuz I have no self control...

It happens to all of us. The Internet literally sucks us in lol 

These are all staged, and even though I know that, they’re still fun to watch. I wasn’t quite sure until I spoke to Greg Reece. He was on the show a while back and confirmed this. Of course, Torpedo didn’t mention green labels, the possibility it could be lower, etc. It’s crazy. 

I love Kevin and the way he tells the story of the turtles. He’s one of the nicest dudes!!!! 

On 9/8/2020 at 2:54 PM, tvindy said:

Sorry the pictures are so blurry.

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

Definitely a bit blurry here and really can't see that much from these 2 photos.  :p

Easy fix though if you simply email your family members and ask them to tear that book out from that horrid looking holder and take a picture of the real goods for us.  lol

11 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Definitely a bit blurry here and really can't see that much from these 2 photos.  :p

Easy fix though if you simply email your family members and ask them to tear that book out from that horrid looking holder and take a picture of the real goods for us.  lol

Well, I suppose if you want to pool your money with the other people in this thread and send me $35,000, I could probably open up the slab and send you some fairly nice photos of it. hm

On 9/9/2020 at 7:27 AM, tvindy said:

Isn't it great when comics you bought as a child pay off big time when you grow up? I remember telling adults all the time how my comic book collection would one day be worth big bucks. It turns out I was right. :bigsmile:

Although this is definitely true for certain books, the sad part about this in terms of books that I had cherry picked off the shelves of the LCS's back in the 70's and the 80's is that you now have to spend probably 100X to 200X times the cover price which you had paid for the book in the first place in order to get them prepped for sale in an auction before you can hope to even make some money on them.  As a result, with your typical 70's and 80's comic book collection, even though they might already be in high grade, it's still not really worth going through all of the trouble to get them graded and slabbed for sale, except for the odd key book.  :p  :(

I am just so glad that I started to shift my interest into more vintage GA collectible comic books towards the end of the 80s and the start of the 90's as I can't think of a single book in this portion of my collection that would not be worth to have graded and slabbed when it comes time to sell them.  hm  :whee:

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Although this is definitely true for certain books, the sad part about this in terms of books that I had cherry picked off the shelves of the LCS's back in the 70's and the 80's is that you now have to spend probably 100X to 200X times the cover price which you had paid for the book in the first place in order to get them prepped for sale in an auction before you can hope to even make some money on them.  As a result, with your typical 70's and 80's comic book collection, even though they might already be in high grade, it's still not really worth going through all of the trouble to get them graded and slabbed for sale, except for the odd key book.  :p  :(

I am just so glad that I started to shift my interest into more vintage GA collectible comic books towards the end of the 80s and the start of the 90's as I can't think of a single book in this portion of my collection that would not be worth to have graded and slabbed when it comes time to sell them.  hm  :whee:

Yes, so many comics from the 80s to today never really gained in value. A few months ago, I went through my collection and separated out everything that actually had value. (My criterion was anything that I was certain I could sell for at least $50 after grading.) It turns out that 5% of my collection has 90% of the value. And that doesn't include TMNT.

6 hours ago, tvindy said:

Yes, so many comics from the 80s to today never really gained in value. A few months ago, I went through my collection and separated out everything that actually had value. (My criterion was anything that I was certain I could sell for at least $50 after grading.) It turns out that 5% of my collection has 90% of the value. And that doesn't include TMNT.

Yes most of my childhood Comics are pure drek, actually 100%. I can't think of one that's actually worth anything

40 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Yes most of my childhood Comics are pure drek, actually 100%. I can't think of one that's actually worth anything

I bet if you used a site like gocollect or GPA and went through your collection one by one, you'd find at least a few surprises. Also, check to see if you have anything on this list. I'm not saying your comics are worth a fortune, but it can't all be drek (unless they're all from the 90s).