• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, dem1138 said:

Question - whats the story on interior dual signed 1st print copies?  If I recall correctly, weren't these copies the ones people bought directly from them at signings?

7AB46E1A-F747-4046-BF59-39894D7D9D0C.thumb.jpeg.bd3079b791275011115f3551d7b9c279.jpeg

Until recently, it was common for writers and artists to sign on the interior - so it could have been signed when it was new in the 1980s or later.  Signing on the cover probably wasn't a "normal thing" until the mid-1990s.

Edited by valiantman

7 hours ago, valiantman said:
10 hours ago, GM8 said:

The 9.4 on Heritage is up to $28.8K with buyers premium with ~9+ hours remaining until live auction, which means I have no idea how much more time is left!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/40162-83009.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Now sitting at $31,200 with BP, just under 7 hours to go, then it should be the 9th item in the live auction.

Finished at $36,000 with BP.

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Until recently, it was common for writers and artists to sign on the interior - so it could have been signed when it was new in the 1980s or later.  Signing on the cover probably wasn't a "normal thing" until the mid-1990s.

Yes I'm familiar having been in the hobby since the 80s but if I recall there are a number of 1st print #1s that were signed this same way and I thought someone might have more info.  

12 hours ago, valiantman said:

Finished at $36,000 with BP.

A new official high price for a 9.4. Previous public sales were $17.5K on 7/19/20, $14.45K on 2/27/20 and $13.5K on 2/13/20. If you go by the July sale it's a 106% increase in market price. Impressive.

But hold the phones. The SS 9.0 sold for $45,600?! Holy pepperoni pizza. The last SS 9.0 sold for $14.4K on 5/20/20, that's a 217% increase.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-signature-series-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/40162-83010.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by GM8

35 minutes ago, GM8 said:

A new official high price for a 9.4. Previous public sales were $17.5K on 7/19/20, $14.45K on 2/27/20 and $13.5K on 2/13/20. If you go by the July sale it's a 106% increase in market price. Impressive.

But hold the phones. The SS 9.0 sold for $45,600?! Holy pepperoni pizza. The last SS 9.0 sold for $14.4K on 5/20/20, that's a 217% increase.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-signature-series-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/40162-83010.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

The guy could have bought the 9.4, submitted it to CGC's Eastman signing for $70, and saved himself $10,000. (and had a better book in the process)

Edited by SuperBird

2 hours ago, SuperBird said:
3 hours ago, GM8 said:

The guy could have bought the 9.4, submitted it to CGC's Eastman signing for $70, and saved himself $10,000. (and had a better book in the process)

It wouldn't have said "From The Collection of Kevin Eastman" on the label, though.  I think the Heritage buyer at $45,600 must have wanted that extra detail.

23 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It wouldn't have said "From The Collection of Kevin Eastman" on the label, though.  I think the Heritage buyer at $45,600 must have wanted that extra detail.

That's what I got out of it too since there's no other reason to pay such a premium when a higher grade copy is available in the moment.

Kevin Eastman could make a killing by temporarily adopting other comics for people! Just kidding of course. Don't get any ideas Kevin!

40 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The #2 yellow label 9.8 W had "From The Collection of Kevin Eastman" on the label too but went for lower than the blue label 9.8 OW/W. I realize there is much more appeal in a #1 but I'm having a hard time explaining the #2's...hm

5 minutes ago, pubmonkey said:
50 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The #2 yellow label 9.8 W had "From The Collection of Kevin Eastman" on the label too but went for lower than the blue label 9.8 OW/W. I realize there is much more appeal in a #1 but I'm having a hard time explaining the #2's...hm

Yes, that was weird. A couple of people must have wanted a "matching #2" to go with their blue label on the other books.

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

Surprised the sixth prints haven't shot up too much yet. I've always liked the "special deluxe" reprint of the original. 

That is actually the reason I think the 4th prints won't see as much gain as the others - it is the only other print that says 'REPRINT' on the cover, which I think turns some people off as it explicitly means it isn't technically 'original' print (however the 4th does have other stuff going for it, such as being the first full Shredder cover appearance)

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

Surprised the sixth prints haven't shot up too much yet. I've always liked the "special deluxe" reprint of the original. 

There are only 1000 of these so supply and demand should push these up. The HC version is limited to 500.

while not part of the original oversize prints they recapture that magic in deluxe format 8 years later (1992). The quality of the paper is excellent in comparison and frankly I'm surprised more of them have not retained their minty fresh condition of at least 9.8. The Hardcover is signed but I am having a hard time remembering if they have sketches or not. will check later...

There was an initial surge of interest around 2013/2014 and they were hot property. since then, maybe due to a lack of submissions, they haven't really taken off again. We need a CGC certified one go for sale to gauge the interest. I have seen them selling in raw vf condition for between $60 and $100 sometimes more. The copies I see always seem to have been beaten up tho...hm

19 minutes ago, SpideyFein said:

I also want to point out the $26,000 Gobbledlygook #1!!! That obliterated previous previous sales as well. I know we could all go back and forth on this, but it is the 1st printed turtles. I know it was a File copy, but I was thinking 16-18. 

Yup everything is going up. I was curiois about TMNT Archie sales. #1s have historically reached $150-$200. Those are also regularly hitting $800 nowadays in 9.8, some over 1K. First comic bebop Rocksteady btw

2 hours ago, TMNT said:

This is what im talking about, regularly fetching b/w $700 - 1K nowadays... imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761just book 1 is hot, all others still flat

Screenshot_20201212-131610_eBay.jpg

It’s a triple increase from August, from $250 to $750. It’s bananas. I don’t think many others will blow up, but the series itself is hot. I literally gave away a duplicate 1-30 run 4 years ago. I just wish it went to a turtle fan. 

3 hours ago, SpideyFein said:

It’s a triple increase from August, from $250 to $750. It’s bananas. I don’t think many others will blow up, but the series itself is hot. I literally gave away a duplicate 1-30 run 4 years ago. I just wish it went to a turtle fan. 

I also gave away many of these early Archie series, just recently to a friend who had a son who has been loving Ninja Turtles - so I'm happy to have given him some issues that might be rediscovered in a few decades as they dig for nostalgia :D

edit: I WILL however be mentioning to the father to make sure not to throw those issues away if ever it comes up. He's better to tuck em away and keep em for the long haul.

Edited by Sauce Dog