• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,735 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2020 at 10:24 AM, Subby1938 said:

A sleeper printing if you can find one is 9.8 fifth printing . Beautiful vibrant red cover but only handful have ever been graded 9.8. I’d be all over one of these 

No longer a sleeper hit :) , as the last two sales in December for two 9.8s went for $1,400usd and $1,375usd (in fact the higher was sold just two days before your post, the other selling a few days later). We shall see if the prices hold on this (Alas I do not have this book in that grade, mine is a 9.6 signature series but still looks damn good like you said due to that vibrant red cover)

Mine comes back next week ....... it’s 9.8! It was first of two I sent off this copy I felt was lesser of the two. It’s a very rare book in 9.8 is all I know . There are plenty of raw copies coming to market but 9.8 is tough . Here are very htf issues in 9.8:

tmnt 1 fifth print

tmnt 4 second print ( Nintendo cover )

tmnt 4 misprint error cover ( 1000 or less )

tmnt 7 second print ( krang cover )

Numbers according to a quick search on gocollect

1. only 14 universal 9.8s

2. only 4 universal 9.8s

3. Only 4 universal 9.8s

4. only 14 universal 9.8s

Edited by Subby1938

3 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Mine comes back next week ....... it’s 9.8! It was first of two I sent off this copy I felt was lesser of the two. It’s a very rare book in 9.8 is all I know . There are plenty of raw copies coming to market but 9.8 is tough . Here are very htf issues in 9.8:

tmnt 1 fifth print

tmnt 4 second print ( Nintendo cover )

tmnt 4 misprint error cover ( 1000 or less )

tmnt 7 second print ( krang cover )

Numbers according to a quick search on gocollect

1. only 14 universal 9.8s

2. only 4 universal 9.8s

3. Only 4 universal 9.8s

4. only 14 universal 9.8s

#5 Second print only has 1 universal 9.8. I wonder what that would go for now?

59 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

It depends on popularity of cover . I have collectors already buggin for NES cover because the nostalgia it brings . Not sure what to make of these . 

the error / misprint copy is the one I can’t find great data on....

I poste the carp out of my Nintendo Power #6, and it's still back for another signing (by Eastman) 

Still, I've tried to buy affordable copies online, it is difficult, as it is a new market and the FMV is uncertain.

I've tried to gauge, but it's a variable that is undetermined and frequently differentiated. 

15 hours ago, valiantman said:

Big jump. A little context for previous 9.2's:

The last one sold was a purple label on 9/20/20 for $15.5K on ebay. Previous copies sold for $11.5K and $9K of blue labels back on 11/20/19 and 8/20/19 respectively.

4 hours ago, GM8 said:

Big jump. A little context for previous 9.2's:

The last one sold was a purple label on 9/20/20 for $15.5K on ebay. Previous copies sold for $11.5K and $9K of blue labels back on 11/20/19 and 8/20/19 respectively.

Not sure how I missed that PLOD as that's still what I'm sitting on. That's the first PLOD comp in a long long time. Thanks!

Edited by Schmakt

2 hours ago, rich_TMNT said:

@oakman29 There's no way to tell from the outside.  The error / misprint is the appearance of a black grid-pattern on 8 pages (13, 16, 17, 20, 21, 24, 25, 28) in either the gutter, page corner, or both.

TMNT-Vol-I-01_Full-Color-Reprint_1st-pri

I was curious because if it was CGC didnt notate the error on the label. I have two error books. I know what I'm looking for, but thank you for the information. 

Edited by oakman29

Thanks for posting that, I was worried mine was a fake because it has the white strip on the right side where the red meets the black which is a big tell for fakes. But the cross hatching in shredders arm is noticeable on mine where in the counterfeit it’s mostly black with a few bits of white instead of red.

Also a CGC first print 8.5 sold for $7000 on eBay 3 days ago. Whoever got that got a heck of a deal. 8.0s have been selling for more than twice that.

6 hours ago, ectocooler said:

Thanks for posting that, I was worried mine was a fake because it has the white strip on the right side where the red meets the black which is a big tell for fakes. But the cross hatching in shredders arm is noticeable on mine where in the counterfeit it’s mostly black with a few bits of white instead of red.

Also a CGC first print 8.5 sold for $7000 on eBay 3 days ago. Whoever got that got a heck of a deal. 8.0s have been selling for more than twice that.

A fake 8.5 sold for 7k or a real one? 

Yeah it’s weird, in the search it shows 10k but when I click on it it changes to 7. Might have been an auction with a starting price at 7 and a buy it now of 10 and eBay’s glitchy site isn’t showing it properly. But yeah either way whoever got it could flip it for twice that easily.

On 1/27/2021 at 10:20 AM, ectocooler said:

Yeah it’s weird, in the search it shows 10k but when I click on it it changes to 7. Might have been an auction with a starting price at 7 and a buy it now of 10 and eBay’s glitchy site isn’t showing it properly. But yeah either way whoever got it could flip it for twice that easily.

Such a mundane sale. 

WHO IN THE WORLD POSTS A TURTLES 1 1ST PRINT WITH THAT IN THE TITLE??? Seriously. Bring this person to me.