• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, TMNT said:

Sooo HA has a 8.5, 9.0, 9.2, 9.6 auctions all coming up same day in March. And then there's in Clink and Comic Connect. That's a whole pile at once... 

That's a :ohnoez: if I ever heard one

But think of it, if it levels for a time, maybe people will think it's a healthier market, you get some data lines, and perhaps for these few they can com out cheaper than a lone book...... :tink::wishluck:

What are your guesses for the two TMNT1 1st prints ending tomorrow night on Clink?

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%26x%3D25%26y%3D13%26pg%3D13%23Item_1462321&id=1462321&itemType=0

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%26x%3D25%26y%3D13%26pg%3D13%23Item_1452977&id=1452977&itemType=0

Prices realized during this auction have been crazy. Many new highs per grade have been set. Will TMNT do the same?

I'm going $39k for the 9.4, $26k for the 8.5 :headbang:

I'd be curious to see what mid-grade to upper mid-grades would sell for now. Would they take a hit due to not being high grade, or would they actually turn in higher than expected results since it's an opportunity for collectors who don't have ultra deep pockets to get a first print?

For example, if I had $8000 to spend on a TMNT 1, would I shoot for a 9.6 second print or, let's say, a 4.0 first print. I'm not so sure.

49 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I'd be curious to see what mid-grade to upper mid-grades would sell for now. Would they take a hit due to not being high grade, or would they actually turn in higher than expected results since it's an opportunity for collectors who don't have ultra deep pockets to get a first print?

For example, if I had $8000 to spend on a TMNT 1, would I shoot for a 9.6 second print or, let's say, a 4.0 first print. I'm not so sure.

It would be EASIER for you to find and buy a second print, and I honestly like them just the same. There are very few low grade first prints that ever hit the market and I guarantee you those that do again will go for more as everybody and their pet will jump on to bid or make offers.

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

4.0 1st print.  What the heck!   That's the first appearance.  

3 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Well, from my own personal point of view, that's when a comic book becomes a true vintage collectible is when it's able to sell for multiples to condition guide in all grades across the entire condition spectrum and not only in the uber 9.8 and 9.9 condition levels only.  (thumbsu

It's an interesting discussion but I don't think you could get a 4.0 for 8K...I have a friend who recently bought a 5.5 for 13K.

I personally was in that position myself recently, of 2nd 9.6 or a 1st, until I was able to trade a page of art for a 1st print. I'd owned a couple in the past but had sold them through the years and kept my 2nd print SS 9.6. When I decided to get a 1st, I realized there was no way I could covert my 2nd print into anything of the kind of grade I'd want in a 1st. Low grades of these are scarce as is but that all black cover would likely REALLY accentuate the flaws in a low grade. So for me, I was simply going to keep my 2nd print 9.6 as it looks great vs maybe being able to get a 2.5.

Fortunately, it all turned into a moot point when I was able to trade art for the kind of book I wanted! :banana: I still have the 2nd print, and I'm still not sure if I'm keeping it or not at this point.

29 minutes ago, TMNT said:

It's an interesting discussion but I don't think you could get a 4.0 for 8K...I have a friend who recently bought a 5.5 for 13K.

I personally was in that position myself recently, of 2nd 9.6 or a 1st, until I was able to trade a page of art for a 1st print. I'd owned a couple in the past but had sold them through the years and kept my 2nd print SS 9.6. When I decided to get a 1st, I realized there was no way I could covert my 2nd print into anything of the kind of grade I'd want in a 1st. Low grades of these are scarce as is but that all black cover would likely REALLY accentuate the flaws in a low grade. So for me, I was simply going to keep my 2nd print 9.6 as it looks great vs maybe being able to get a 2.5.

Fortunately, it all turned into a moot point when I was able to trade art for the kind of book I wanted! :banana: I still have the 2nd print, and I'm still not sure if I'm keeping it or not at this point.

Interesting. To me it would be insane to spend $8000 on a GD/VG copy but then I see what coverless or beater copies of AF 15 sell for and doesn't look so crazy.