• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

On 9/17/2020 at 5:20 AM, tvindy said:
On 9/16/2020 at 11:11 PM, lou_fine said:

As a result, with your typical 70's and 80's comic book collection, even though they might already be in high grade, it's still not really worth going through all of the trouble to get them graded and slabbed for sale, except for the odd key book.  :p  :(

I am just so glad that I started to shift my interest into more vintage GA collectible comic books towards the end of the 80s and the start of the 90's as I can't think of a single book in this portion of my collection that would not be worth to have graded and slabbed when it comes time to sell them.  hm  :whee:

Yes, so many comics from the 80s to today never really gained in value. A few months ago, I went through my collection and separated out everything that actually had value. (My criterion was anything that I was certain I could sell for at least $50 after grading.) It turns out that 5% of my collection has 90% of the value. And that doesn't include TMNT.

Sadly, this is actually no surprise at all and probably what most long term comic book collectors will also discover to their chagrin when they start to go through their boxes and boxes of hopeful treasures.  :(

Especially when it comes to books from the 70's and 80's going forward because there are really just so many copies of them around that most of them don't carry much actual value unless they are pass a relatively high condition threshold level.  I find that it's much easier with the older books whereby it's not all about the big number on the top left hand corner of the slab and the underlying books themselves carry value in all grades across the entire condition spectrum.  (thumbsu

That's why it's good to see books like the Hulk 181's, Spidey 129's, Cerebus 1's, TMNT 1's become what I call vintage collectible comic books as collectors start to pay good money for them at all condition levels, as opposed to only when they are in CGC 9.8 or 9.6 and really nothing much below that.  I find the best books to own though are the ones that sell at multiples to condition guide not only in the lower grades, but also at multiples to unrestored guide even when they are restored.  :applause:

23 hours ago, tvindy said:

I bet if you used a site like gocollect or GPA and went through your collection one by one, you'd find at least a few surprises. Also, check to see if you have anything on this list. I'm not saying your comics are worth a fortune, but it can't all be drek (unless they're all from the 90s).

Sadly most of my 80s Comics were given away or lost with time. The only thing I have left are 90s stuff... mostly worthless 

Edited by Wolverinex

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Sadly, this is actually no surprise at all and probably what most long term comic book collectors will also discover to their chagrin when they start to go through their boxes and boxes of hopeful treasures.  :(

Especially when it comes to books from the 70's and 80's going forward because there are really just so many copies of them around that most of them don't carry much actual value unless they are pass a relatively high condition threshold level.  I find that it's much easier with the older books whereby it's not all about the big number on the top left hand corner of the slab and the underlying books themselves carry value in all grades across the entire condition spectrum.  (thumbsu

That's why it's good to see books like the Hulk 181's, Spidey 129's, Cerebus 1's, TMNT 1's become what I call vintage collectible comic books as collectors start to pay good money for them at all condition levels, as opposed to only when they are in CGC 9.8 or 9.6 and really nothing much below that.  I find the best books to own though are the ones that sell at multiples to condition guide not only in the lower grades, but also at multiples to unrestored guide even when they are restored.  :applause:

I actually don't view that as sad. I just find it interesting. If it were the case that my childhood comic collection is worthless, that would be sad. The fact that the value is clustered in a small number of issues doesn't reduce the overall value of the collection. Some of my most treasured comics have little to no value. Comic collecting can be viewed as analogous buying books. You buy them to read, and you keep them to display and perhaps read again. A few have tremendous sentimental value but no real monetary value. And hundreds of books take up more space than thousands of comics. My Captain D's Exciting Adventures #3 is essentially worthless, but it is also incredibly rare and has great sentimental value. Someday I will get it slabbed, and it will be the only graded Captain D's comic in existence.

I suspect that 90s comics are probably at the lowest prices they will ever be right now. Everyone sees them as worthless; they're not being stored very well; and I would guess that a shocking number of them that have survived to today are ending up in landfills. It actually may be a good time to buy and hold for the long term

5 minutes ago, tvindy said:

I actually don't view that as sad. I just find it interesting. If it were the case that my childhood comic collection is worthless, that would be sad. The fact that the value is clustered in a small number of issues doesn't reduce the overall value of the collection. Some of my most treasured comics have little to no value. Comic collecting can be viewed as analogous buying books. You buy them to read, and you keep them to display and perhaps read again. A few have tremendous sentimental value but no real monetary value. And hundreds of books take up more space than thousands of comics. My Captain D's Exciting Adventures #3 is essentially worthless, but it is also incredibly rare and has great sentimental value. Someday I will get it slabbed, and it will be the only graded Captain D's comic in existence.

I suspect that 90s comics are probably at the lowest prices they will ever be right now. Everyone sees them as worthless; they're not being stored very well; and I would guess that a shocking number of them that have survived to today are ending up in landfills. It actually may be a good time to buy and hold for the long term

The possibility of buying/holding 90’s books with the intent they could be worth something someday is definitely a bold and unique statement. I don’t think it will ever be the case, but who knows.

Edited by LDarkseid1

4 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

The possibility of buying/holding 90’s books with the intent they could be worth something someday is definitely a bold and unique statement. I don’t think it will ever be the case, but who knows.

It's like buying stocks. You try to pick ones that are out of favor and therefore extremely cheap, so that when they bounce back, you get a huge return. Of course, the problem with this analogy is that you can look at a company's fundamentals. How do you look at the fundamentals of a comic book?

btw I am also bullish on AOL CDs. I've been saying since around 2000 that anyone who hoards them will eventually be able to sell them for a lot of money. They're still pretty much worthless, but they're also a heck of a lot scarcer than they used to be. I think we'll start seeing a turnaround in the 2030s. :bigsmile:

Just now, tvindy said:

It's like buying stocks. You try to pick ones that are out of favor and therefore extremely cheap, so that when they bounce back, you get a huge return. Of course, the problem with this analogy is that you can look at a company's fundamentals. How do you look at the fundamentals of a comic book?

btw I am also bullish on AOL CDs. I've been saying since around 2000 that anyone who hoards them will eventually be able to sell them for a lot of money. They're still pretty much worthless, but they're also a heck of a lot scarcer than they used to be. I think we'll start seeing a turnaround in the 2030s. :bigsmile:

Well I’ll look forward to the 2030’s then 😂. See if you’re proved right.

On 9/21/2020 at 6:59 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 9/21/2020 at 6:56 AM, Schmakt said:

https://www.highgradecomics.com/book-details/?&id=157996

9.4 Universal up on Bob's site this morning... 

Ya I saw that for $50,000

Make that 💰

I don't see it as clicking onto the link above takes me to a message that simply says:  "BOOK NOT FOUND".  hm  (shrug)

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:
On 9/21/2020 at 8:59 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 9/21/2020 at 8:56 AM, Schmakt said:

https://www.highgradecomics.com/book-details/?&id=157996

9.4 Universal up on Bob's site this morning... 

Ya I saw that for $50,000

Make that 💰

I don't see it as clicking onto the link above takes me to a message that simply says:  "BOOK NOT FOUND".  hm  (shrug)

I saw it Monday, but it's gone today.  I wonder if it was sold, moved to another venue, or put back to wait and see where the market stops. hm

50 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

This was a consignor listed book,  I did not own it.  Consignor pulled the book.  Clearly there is a "Frantic need" for pricing information since no sooner was it gone I got emails asking where did it go and what did it sell for.  

Thanks for the answer!  The 1st printing of TMNT #1 is just available enough on the CGC Census to keep people watching for activity, but scarce enough to have only 7 total sales in ANY grade over the past 90 days on GPAnalysis.

The 3rd printing seems to be benefitting the most from all the current TMNT #1 money simply by being available (36 sales in 90 days).

Well, I'm finally out of the epic club as have sold my CGC 5.0 #1 first print (I guess no more weekly random PMs asking if I would sell it). I'm sure I'll regret it one day, but it was a decent chunk of change that went towards both house downpayment savings and buying a bunch of other books I've wanted, including all three CGC first appearances of Hellboy (high grade and even one signed by Mignola), another Tales of Suspense 39 and House of Secrets 92, as well as a few other random comics including a 5th printing of #1 to go with my remaining raw 3rd print (so technically still in the TMNT #1 club, but feels wrong when it isn't my original 1st printing :D ). 

Has anybody been able to dig up the press run numbers for the 5th printing? I kept hearing it was less common than the 4th printing, but can't find anything to confirm that.

20200923_125508.thumb.jpg.44fcf650fbb39a1e61a9846c3de0a986.jpg

Edited by Sauce Dog

46 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

Well, I'm finally out of the epic club as have sold my CGC 5.0 #1 first print (I guess no more weekly random PMs asking if I would sell it). I'm sure I'll regret it one day, but it was a decent chunk of change that went towards both house downpayment savings and buying a bunch of other books I've wanted, including all three CGC first appearances of Hellboy (high grade and even one signed by Mignola), another Tales of Suspense 39 and House of Secrets 92, as well as a few other random comics including a 5th printing of #1 to go with my remaining raw 3rd print (so technically still in the TMNT #1 club, but feels wrong when it isn't my original 1st printing :D ). 

Has anybody been able to dig up the press run numbers for the 5th printing? I kept hearing it was less common than the 4th printing, but can't find anything to confirm that.

20200923_125508.thumb.jpg.44fcf650fbb39a1e61a9846c3de0a986.jpg

How much did you sell your TMNT 1st print for?

I know LDarkseid asked Eastman on one of his channels if he knew but haven't heard anything back from that on the 5th print.  I personally prefer the 5th print over the 4th.  Jealous that you even had a 1st print to move, lol still working on getting mine eventually down the road just have 2nd and 3rd prints now to enjoy.