TMNT #1 Club
24 24

2,124 posts in this topic

518 posts

Final sale of 9.6: $14,340.  A step down certainly from the $26K we saw late last year on the other HA auction (note that sale was White pages, this most recent one was OW/W but that doesn't account for the difference).  That one looks to be an outlier.  The real value of the 9.6 is somewhere around $12-15K.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/alternative-underground/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7177-91319.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Final sale of 9.8: $35,850.  A 19% jump in price from the recent $30.1K sale on Ebay and more in line with what we'd expect between 9.6 and 9.8 values.  Going forward look for sales ranges between these two numbers $30-36K.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/alternative-underground/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7177-91318.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by GM8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
160 posts

My upper limit bid on that TMNT #1 CGC  9.8 was $28K w/o BP (second highest bid).  Someone went a step higher.  Sadly, it may be a few years before another 9.8 pops up, though you never know. I won the 9.6 and really did not expect it to take off to 20K+. I agree that the OW-W pages shouldn’t account for a $12K price differential; however, it could be possible that someone thought they saw something in the previous auction to merit that price (I.e. a press job that could bump up the grade).  I think the range for 9.6s are in the neighborhood of $12-15K.  The 9.6 I won presents good enough for me.  One day I’ll add a 9.8 ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,728 posts

Based on the two recent sales of TMNT #1, what range does a 9.2 & 9.4 fall into?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
518 posts
1 hour ago, cmzare said:

My upper limit bid on that TMNT #1 CGC  9.8 was $28K w/o BP (second highest bid).  Someone went a step higher.  Sadly, it may be a few years before another 9.8 pops up, though you never know. I won the 9.6 and really did not expect it to take off to 20K+. I agree that the OW-W pages shouldn’t account for a $12K price differential; however, it could be possible that someone thought they saw something in the previous auction to merit that price (I.e. a press job that could bump up the grade).  I think the range for 9.6s are in the neighborhood of $12-15K.  The 9.6 I won presents good enough for me.  One day I’ll add a 9.8 ;-)

I think you got the market price, congrats, and it was probably kept lower because of the 9.8 also for sale. I agree that the 9.6 that sold for $26K was likely a press candidate, the description said it was "hidden away in a bedroom for many years."  Although it doesn't say that it wasn't pressed - and the premium paid is a big risk to take the chance. I guess the only way to know is to follow the CGC # (1294883001) and see if it gets removed from the database and a new signed 9.8 comes forward.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
518 posts
53 minutes ago, loboagain said:

Based on the two recent sales of TMNT #1, what range does a 9.2 & 9.4 fall into?

Recent 9.2 sales I don't have, although there is one current listing on comic connect here: 

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=748691

Recent 9.4 sales I have a few, $10,500 on 12/6/17, $8250 on 12/17/17, and $10,300 on 1/5/18.  That range is fair value in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,358 posts
2 hours ago, cmzare said:

My upper limit bid on that TMNT #1 CGC  9.8 was $28K w/o BP (second highest bid).  Someone went a step higher.  Sadly, it may be a few years before another 9.8 pops up, though you never know. I won the 9.6 and really did not expect it to take off to 20K+. I agree that the OW-W pages shouldn’t account for a $12K price differential; however, it could be possible that someone thought they saw something in the previous auction to merit that price (I.e. a press job that could bump up the grade).  I think the range for 9.6s are in the neighborhood of $12-15K.  The 9.6 I won presents good enough for me.  One day I’ll add a 9.8 ;-)

Fantastic grab ... really only saw one faint tick on the spine,  looks like a worthy 9.6 to me, and I know the one that went for 26k had white pages but the one you just won looks a bit sharper to me.  That one had more noticeable ticks and some slight crunching on the corners that I don’t want to see in an ultra High grade book.

Congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,163 posts

How much has this book grown in the lower grades (7-8.5 or so) over the past year? Have these moved up in price considerably or is it mostly the higher grades? I think I saw an 8.0 or 8.5 sell for around $5500-$6000 on the boards recently but I can't find the post in the copper for sale forum. 

Edited by rsouxlja7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,867 posts
6 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

How much has this book grown in the lower grades (7-8.5 or so) over the past year? Have these moved up in price considerably or is it mostly the higher grades? I think I saw an 8.0 or 8.5 sell for around $5500-$6000 on the boards recently but I can't find the post in the copper for sale forum. 

Yeah I'll stick with my 8.0 I can't play with the whales around here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,341 posts

I would be surprised if the next 9.6 that came up went for less than $15k actually.  Those don't come up for sale much either and the 9.8 present in the sae auction certainly stole a lot of its thunder.  The "PQ" on the label was a non-factor.

-J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,645 posts
29 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I would be surprised if the next 9.6 that came up went for less than $15k actually.  Those don't come up for sale much either and the 9.8 present in the sae auction certainly stole a lot of its thunder.  The "PQ" on the label was a non-factor.

-J.

PQ is always a factor, especially on copper/modern books.  If a copper/modern book has anything less than white pages, ,it will go less than what a white will go for (if wrap is the same). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,341 posts
30 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

PQ is always a factor, especially on copper/modern books.  If a copper/modern book has anything less than white pages, ,it will go less than what a white will go for (if wrap is the same). 

No, it isn't.

-J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,645 posts
3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

No, it isn't.

-J.

On a copper book?  lol  Ok chief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,341 posts
4 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

On a copper book?  lol  Ok chief.

Have we met?  If not, I should probably warn you I'm the last person you want to go down this rabbit hole with.  Chief.  (thumbsu

-J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,645 posts
Just now, Jaydogrules said:

Have we met?  If not, I should probably warn you I'm the last person you want to go down this rabbit hole with.  Chief.  (thumbsu

-J.

Have not met, but I've seen you argue ad nauseum on many things.  BTW, you're completely wrong on this topic.  And no, I won't argue with you anymore, Chief. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,341 posts
13 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

Have not met, but I've seen you argue ad nauseum on many things.  BTW, you're completely wrong on this topic.  And no, I won't argue with you anymore, Chief. 

Graceful exit.  Smart move. I was just about ready to annihilate your simple minded generalisation with multiple links to recent sales of NM 87, 98 and ASM 300.  So thanks for saving me the trouble.  Chief.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,560 posts
20 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Graceful exit.  Smart move. I was just about ready to annihilate your simple minded generalisation with multiple links to recent sales of NM 87, 98 and ASM 300.  So thanks for saving me the trouble.  Chief.  

-J.

If you are going to say PQ isn't a factor with TMNT 1 you should probably come up with better comps than NM 87, 98, and 300. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,645 posts
33 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Graceful exit.  Smart move. I was just about ready to annihilate your simple minded generalisation with multiple links to recent sales of NM 87, 98 and ASM 300.  So thanks for saving me the trouble.  Chief.  

-J.

Nice ninja edit.   I giggled a bit with your initial response.  Now I see your edit and all I can do is shake my head at you.  Anything to win an argument, which you never will in this particular case and absolutely horrid people skills.  Kudos to you, sir. 

Don't worry, this is my last interaction with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,341 posts
2 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

Nice ninja edit.   I giggled a bit with your initial response.  Now I see your edit and all I can do is shake my head at you.  Anything to win an argument, which you never will in this particular case and absolutely horrid people skills.  Kudos to you, sir. 

Don't worry, this is my last interaction with you. 

Great and I'll just leave this recent sale of an 8.0 TMNT 1 with the utterly meaningless "OW/W" on the label here for you and let you contemplate on your own how the sale compares to the last reported sale of an 8.0 with "white" pages on the label:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-CGC-8-0-OW-W-1st-Print-Origin-1st-Appearance/391976190947?hash=item5b439a03e3:g:-ycAAOSws5BaecgK&redirect=mobile

"People skills" are over rated.  I like facts and data points.  

Good talk.  

-J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,867 posts
36 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Great and I'll just leave this recent sale of an 8.0 TMNT 1 with the utterly meaningless "OW/W" on the label here for you and let you contemplate on your own how the sale compares to the last reported sale of an 8.0 with "white" pages on the label:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-CGC-8-0-OW-W-1st-Print-Origin-1st-Appearance/391976190947?hash=item5b439a03e3:g:-ycAAOSws5BaecgK&redirect=mobile

"People skills" are over rated.  I like facts and data points.  

Good talk.  

-J.

Yeah, I can't imagine ow-white would be any difference in price specially on a book like TMNT 1's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
24 24