• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Metropolis homepage feature: Shop 100 Most Recently Added Comics

62 posts in this topic

I am very small potatoes when it comes to spending $$$ on funnybooks, but Metro has always responded to my requests for a scan and has accepted offers I have made them. (shrug) Maybe it's how you ask?

As I posted, I think they have great service. I just hate the inquireButton_ro.gif

I have bought a good number of books from Metro, and overall I have always been happy, but I have had it with the inquireButton_ro.gif

I don't even look at their site, because the only books that I will have any interest in are newly listed books that will of course have the inquireButton_ro.gif

It is beyond ridiculous that they can have a book posted on the site for WEEKS and still have no price because they "have so many books they haven't gotten to it yet" Absolute BS. I consider it an insult that they would say this to me over the phone and I am supposed to believe them. Someone had to enter the book on to the website. DON'T ENTER IT UNTIL YOU HAVE A PRICE! It's not that complicated.

I have an email which I received the first week of January about a book matching my wantlist. For fun I just went to the site and guess what: Jan 20th and they still haven't been able to price that book. Wow, are they busy. Give me a break.

Metro, if your reading this, you have some great books and great service. Please, make some changes regarding the inquireButton_ro.gif

tell us how you really feel about it :baiting:

I am very small potatoes when it comes to spending $$$ on funnybooks, but Metro has always responded to my requests for a scan and has accepted offers I have made them. (shrug)Maybe it's how you ask?

Yeah thats it!

"Dear Sir

I'm very interested in Book xxxx. I'd be very grateful if you could send me a scan at your earliest convenience.

Thanks in anticipation.

Kind Regards

Jasmine"

Knew I was doing something wrong :baiting:

I wasn't directly referring to you, more of a rhetorical question. :)

I am very small potatoes when it comes to spending $$$ on funnybooks, but Metro has always responded to my requests for a scan and has accepted offers I have made them. (shrug)Maybe it's how you ask?

Yeah thats it!

"Dear Sir

I'm very interested in Book xxxx. I'd be very grateful if you could send me a scan at your earliest convenience.

Thanks in anticipation.

Kind Regards

Jasmine"

Knew I was doing something wrong :baiting:

I wasn't directly referring to you, more of a rhetorical question. :)

I know.

Take no notice of me.

I'm tired and cranky. :foryou:

Goodnight to all :hi:

Sweet Dreams :cloud9:

I recently made an offer on a book listed at $550. Frank did come down to $495. However, the book was still a considerable margin over guide. In all fairness it is a nice, GA pedigree book. But, it was also a raw, very aggressively priced to begin with, not particularly in demand book that has been on the site for a couple of years now I believe.

I'm willing to pay over guide. I'm willing to shell well out over $400 bucks. But $495 was the bottom line. Simply too much to pay for that book so I took the dough elsewhere and bought something else.

Could they have made the sale to me at $450? Probably. And that would've still been a very aggressive price IMO. But instead of bringing in $450 and me having a nice story about how I got a nice book at a lesser price from them, they don't have $450, they still have a book sitting in inventory at $550 and from what I can assume, might be sitting there for another 2 years. (shrug) But like I've said in the past, their books and they can do whatever they want with them. Seems like they're doing just fine with their business model. Except for the throngs of boardies who constantly bash on them.

having sold many books to Metro as well, let me also "defend" (if you will) that Vincent pays very agressively... who is to say that they didn't own that book at $450... I know from experience that some books I have sold them, that end up on the site, are sometimes only marked up a small amount... perhaps, they didn't have any more profit margin to deal in (shrug)

again, Vincent doesn't need me, or anyone to explain this, but folks know I like to post lol

That's a valid and fair point Rick.

Every book is different and without getting into any more specifics, hypothetically let's say they paid $450 for this particular book. If they did, I would be astonished as I can't see why anybody would pay that price on this particular book. Simply, from a dealer standpoint it would make very little sense to have paid such a premium in the first place. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they did, but I find it highly unlikely. Again, in the end its their book(s) and they can price them however they want. They've taken care of me on my purchases in the past and I have no reason to doubt they won't continue to do so. But sometimes their pricing is :screwy: Just a humble geeks opinion.

That's a valid and fair point Rick.

Every book is different and without getting into any more specifics, hypothetically let's say they paid $450 for this particular book. If they did, I would be astonished as I can't see why anybody would pay that price on this particular book. Simply, from a dealer standpoint it would make very little sense to have paid such a premium in the first place. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they did, but I find it highly unlikely. Again, in the end its their book(s) and they can price them however they want. They've taken care of me on my purchases in the past and I have no reason to doubt they won't continue to do so. But sometimes their pricing is :screwy: Just a humble geeks opinion.

you might be right... without knowing the book, tough to say...

most of what I have sold them have been rare or pedigree GA, or very difficult to replace books that Vin has to pay strong on to get into inventory... you are correct it would not make sense if it is a common book that they have 5 other copies of in varying grades...

The thing that stood out to me in the original post was the part about "repeated requests over the years." I'd say an A for honesty but in admitting this the next natural question is, "Why did it take them so long to act?" :think: Water under the bridge?

From most of what you read people either love them or....well you know the other. Just imagine the sales they would have with their inventory if they were known for great customer service. Even those who stand up for them say they are arrogant.

I have had mostly okay experinces with them, but they are also a frustrating company to buy comics from, and with the stellar service I get from ComicLink and Pedigree, why frustrate myself?

From most of what you read people either love them or....well you know the other. Just imagine the sales they would have with their inventory if they were known for great customer service. Even those who stand up for them say they are arrogant.

I have had mostly okay experinces with them, but they are also a frustrating company to buy comics from, and with the stellar service I get from ComicLink and Pedigree, why frustrate myself?

Amen! (worship)

Amen! (worship)

I'm just happy to finally own this book and it only cost me a fraction of the price it's (still) listed on their site for.

No I didn't buy it from them.

:cloud9:

WhizComics13CGC9_2Church.jpg

I'm not a big Metropolis fan, but they sure have a incredible inventory of comics. Hopefully they take note of the general consensus and improve there customer service "perception" or "reality" based, which ever the case may be.

I've dealt with Metro a number of times and have had no complaints with their customer service. I met Vincent once at SDCC a few years back and he was definitely a top notch guy. We have talked on the phone numerous times and discussed about certain books I was interested in. Sure enough he was able to give me a fair discount. Customer service has been excellent. I'm still relatively in contact with Metro more specifically with Vinny. If you have any questions about a book, I suggest giving them a call and speaking to Vincent personally.

Why does metro even have an make offer button?

Interesting question.

In my limited experience so far, I have found that I can only get a response to my enquiries about a particular book,if I go through the 'make an offer' channel.

I also found that they want $27 to ship a raw book of relatively low value to the UK.

Other Dealers tend to charge between 8-12 Dollars for a raw book.

This hardly endears new customers like myself.

I am unlikely to do business with them.

Then again I doubt they will be losing any sleep over it, as they appear to have money to burn and potential customers to lose.

Its a typical example of a big organization wanting to look the bees knees with the pretty pretty website :whatev: with all the bells and whistles, but neglecting the important stuff...like say..I dunno..the Customers. meh

rantrant

You need to be buying British, Jas. :baiting:

You're dead on and I probably will be for the foreseeable future, especially now the pound is well and truly on its arse :(

Shipping costs to UK have always meant that low cost comics just aren't econmic to purchase fom the US unless you are purchasing many books at the same time.

I only buy low cost comics from the US when they aren't obtainable from the UK and I must have the book.

Why does metro even have an make offer button?

I have picked up many books via the make an offer (shrug)

What was the lowest offer (percentage wise) they accepted? I have never had any luck with a lower offer with them hm

.... naturally, it depends on the book(s) and the "deal"... ( the more common and heavier their inventory, the better deal one gets I would imagine)...

and, as roy says, I have spent some serious money with metro, so I am sure that "helps" to a degree (that is just good business)...

but I will say the very first deal I did with Vincent 4 years ago (and while I had done some business with Stephen in the early 90's, I am not sure I had ever even met Vincent since his joining with metro), was a double digit discount ...so, there had been no history at all, and quite honestly, that "hooked" me right there...

and because of that first deal, I have spent well into the 6 figures with metro ...

that said, are there times I get no discount...of course... but it is usually on a rarer book or pedigree, that they cannot easily replace in inventory...

just my 2c I know everyone's milage varies

having sold many books to Metro as well, let me also "defend" (if you will) that Vincent pays very agressively... who is to say that they didn't own that book at $450... I know from experience that some books I have sold them, that end up on the site, are sometimes only marked up a small amount... perhaps, they didn't have any more profit margin to deal in (shrug)

again, Vincent doesn't need me, or anyone to explain this, but folks know I like to post lol

Similar to Rick I have had many good experiences wiith both Stephen and Vincent on both the buying (made offers through the website and direct which were accepted) and the selling side.