• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sandman question

34 posts in this topic

...and the TPB's remain permananently in print....

Did I say permananently...? And I'm not even drunk :insane:

More importantly, why aren't Hellblazer back issues more highly valued than Sandman?

1) Started years before Sandman

2) Still running today!

3) Most of the series remains un-reprinted

4) Has had a movie starring Keanu (much as we wish it hadn't)

Also, why the 2nd Swamp Thing series isn't more highly valued / regarded? Of course we all know the Moore run is coveted but like Sandman it is very heavily reprinted - but no.20, which wasn't until recently, should be a Copper key. No.37 (and no.25), the 1st Constantine is also very cheaply available.

I would recommend everyone also read the Rick Veitch run - it's as least as good as the later Moore issues - and no.84 see Matt Cable become Matthew The Raven (later in Sandman) - also the Grant Morisson then Mark Millar final run from no.140-171 is mostly fantastic.

Actually, DC is reprinting the Swamp Thing series in hardcover and starting with issue 20. The hardcovers are priced nicely at 24.99 which is only 5 bucks more than the softcovers. I am hoping that they roll these out rather quickly.

http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/graphic_novels/?gn=10793

Also, Len Wein full run on the original series is getting reprinted in Hardcover as well.

http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/graphic_novels/?gn=11320

DC is coming out with a lot of good and expensive collections this year.

The Sandman Absolutes are really really nice, I highly recommend them. Even if you already own all the singles, the trades and the original hardcovers like I do.

mike

I bought the Absolute series so I wouldn't have to keep taking the Sandman books out. FABULOUS!!!!

The price is a killer if you had bought them retail, but people have been posting brand new copies or hardly read starting at $50 to $75 and it is selling at that rate right now.

If you can break out the money, I'd grab them and enjoy the ride of your life.

No.37 (and no.25), the 1st Constantine is also very cheaply available.

You think so? On Comic Link, I have seen Saga of Swamp Thing 37 CGC 9.8's doing fairly well, though nothing like Sandman 1 CGC 9.8 copies.

Glad you mentioned 25 as many miss that 1st cameo appearance. I would have grabbed it anyway since it is in the Moore run.

The Sandman Absolutes are really really nice, I highly recommend them. Even if you already own all the singles, the trades and the original hardcovers like I do.

mike

Mike, I've always been a big fan of the series and have all of the tpb's. What does the "Absolute" offer ?? Sketches, or -script content?

mike

Mike, I've always been a big fan of the series and have all of the tpb's. What does the "Absolute" offer ?? Sketches, or -script content?

From the product description for Volume #1

"...the complete original Sandman Proposal, a gallery of character designs from Gaiman and the artists who originated the look of the Sandman, and the original -script to the World Fantasy Award-winning THE SANDMAN #19, "A Midsummer Night’s Dream," together with reproductions of the issue’s original pencils by Charles Vess. Also included are a new introduction by DC’s president Paul Levitz and a new afterword by Gaiman."

I happen to be reading Volume 1 at the moment and its gorgeous. A great way to have a fantastic collection of stories by Neil Gaiman (American Gods is amazing) in a pleasing format.

More importantly, why aren't Hellblazer back issues more highly valued than Sandman?

2) Still running today!

i always wondered about that. i have never read Hellblazer but i did see the movie and thought it was pretty good. how does it compare to the comic?

You might want to try out the Hellblazer videogame that was pretty interesting.

51KHFMWBZFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I did pick up a second hand copy of the PS2 version, just for the sake of having 'anything Hellblazer', but never got around to playing it. Looked pretty generic, but I'll have to give it a try someday.

mike

I bought the Absolute series so I wouldn't have to keep taking the Sandman books out. FABULOUS!!!!

The price is a killer if you had bought them retail, but people have been posting brand new copies or hardly read starting at $50 to $75 and it is selling at that rate right now.

If you can break out the money, I'd grab them and enjoy the ride of your life.

Amazon has had them in stock since the release for about $63 each:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=absolute+sandman&x=0&y=0

2) Still running today!

i always wondered about that. i have never read Hellblazer but i did see the movie and thought it was pretty good. how does it compare to the comic?

You might want to try out the Hellblazer videogame that was pretty interesting.

51KHFMWBZFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I did pick up a second hand copy of the PS2 version, just for the sake of having 'anything Hellblazer', but never got around to playing it. Looked pretty generic, but I'll have to give it a try someday.

HBO could do an amazing TV series on Hellblazer, though I would prefer it if the BBC had a go at it. Maybe they could shoot some of it in Brighton?

Think what that would do to the value of all your Hellblazer slabs!

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

What is exactly is this? Not too familiar with sandman...

Is it like Malibu 13? (shrug)

ah nope lol :sorry: Sandman 1 = 1989/ vertigo preview 1 1992 

my bad

9 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Wow, Sandman thread revived ! (:

I read this series while I was in high school.  TPB, of course.  Do folks feel the franchise has eternal life (independent of Gaiman)?

Would make a great series, Netflix or AMC possibly?

Funny this popped up for me as well.  I decided to start rereading Sandman as I read them as they came out since the first issue.  I enjoyed the first few issues though I got tired of it pretty quickly.  I think I'll let the rest live in my memories ;)