• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is a CURATOR COPY ?

141 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The Curator X-Men 1 got a 9.8 on the first submission. 

Yup, unlike the 9.8 PC copy which took several tries to get there.

The X-Men 1 cover has a tendency to yellow (the PC copy is a good example).  However, according to Brulato, the cover of the Curator copy is "bone white".

8 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Yup, unlike the 9.8 PC copy which took several tries to get there.

The X-Men 1 cover has a tendency to yellow (the PC copy is a good example).  However, according to Brulato, the cover of the Curator copy is "bone white".

Hey T

Value of the Curator X1 in 9.8....7 figures?

15 minutes ago, tth2 said:

lol Thanks Capt. Literal! 

I know, you feel bad for having used a term when attempting to describe something as blindingly and purely white that is often yellow or even light brown.  :wink: 

I was unable to find a scan of the Curator X-Men #1 on the web, but having seen a few other white covered Curators in person can imagine how spectacular it might look.  :cloud9:

Edited by namisgr

7 hours ago, namisgr said:

A few awesome examples archived on the internet with snow white cover paper:

295125]&call=url[file:product.chain]

Curator.jpg

A true blue comicphile gets butterflies in their stomach when they view that 9.9.

7 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

A true blue comicphile gets butterflies in their stomach when they view that 9.9.

Keep in mind, in all probability, that 9.9 was not pressed. They really were stored under perfect conditions. Here's a pic I found of 3, still raw, Curator books in my collection. Silly books, not really worth slabbing, just fun to hold and look at. 

IMG_3395.JPG

On 1/11/2019 at 12:41 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Keep in mind, in all probability, that 9.9 was not pressed. They really were stored under perfect conditions. Here's a pic I found of 3, still raw, Curator books in my collection. Silly books, not really worth slabbing, just fun to hold and look at. 

IMG_3395.JPG

I LOVE the oddball titles from the 60's and 70's, especially the Dell and Harvey superhero stuff as shown, plus the Tower, Skywald, etc.  :cloud9:

On 1/10/2019 at 10:26 AM, Bomber-Bob said:
On 1/9/2019 at 10:48 PM, lou_fine said:

Did you pick up these mid-60's #1 Curators from Hauser back around 10 years ago or thereabouts?  Or maybe it was further back than that.  hm

I remember he had a slew of these mid-60's #1 Curators up for sale back then and they were listed only for around top of guide or a tad over.  I ended up picking up several of these from him including a copy of Total War #1 since I wanted to complete a uber HG run of this short-lived title.  Although it was certainly up there in grade, it just didn't seem to have quite the same zing and sharpness as the File Copy run that I already had for M.A.R.S. Patrol #4 - #10, as those copies looked like they had just come off the printing press.  :cloud9:

Yes, I did get these directly from Hauser. I was a customer of Hauser and was even at his house a couple times. When I found out about this collection he got I was upset that he didn't contact me . Apparently Tom Brulato was taking just about all the Marvel Super Hero from him and there were only some non Super Hero stuff left. . He let me have fist shot at a short box of these non Super Hero Curators. I still have a few raws. They were mostly/all #1's, some cool esoteric stuff. I should have bought them all !!!!

Any idea what kind of prices he was charging Tom for them and if it was for a premium or multiple to guide at the time?  :takeit:

I am certainly glad you didn't buy all of them, otherwise I would have been able to pick up some of the #1 losers that were I assumed nobody else wanted even at only top of guide prices.  (thumbsu

On 1/11/2019 at 10:41 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

IMG_3395.JPG

Now, those definitely look like the type of oddball #1 titles which I was able to pick up from Hauser.  Like you said, most likely not worth slabbing at all no matter how high they would have ended up grading at. :)

So oddball, in fact, that the only book that I remembered from the bunch was Total War #1 since I absolutely loved that Total War / M.A.R.S. Patrol short-lived series.  :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine