• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is a CURATOR COPY ?

141 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I like reading about Pedigrees in the golden age and silver. I know about the Pacific Coast collection, White Mountain etc. but what is it with the Curator collection? Can somebody give me some history on it? Also dose anyone know about the Circle 8 collection? Thanks.

From what I understand, the Curator collection comics were Marvels bought off the newstand by the Curator of a museum. He kept them in perfect condition in a climate controlled room in the museum. Many of the books are 9.6 to 9.8, as snowy-white and glossy as the day they were printed. Most of them are in the collection of a single collector who appearently paid a huge hunk o' cash for them. I'm sure someone here can provide a link...

Most of them are in the collection of a single collector who appearently paid a huge hunk o' cash for them. I'm sure someone here can provide a link...

I haven't seen Curator described anywhere on the web except in these forums, so I doubt there's a link to anything other than another thread around here. Most of the copies that are known to be Curators were sold to one person by John Hauser in the late 1990s, but that one person doesn't own most of the comics that were actually in the collection because they were sold off with no records kept before Hauser got to them. The one collector owns a bunch of the Marvels, but a famous comic book creator owns the FF 2 to 100 and he wishes to remain nameless so people don't bug him to buy the books.

Hauser believes the collection was both Marvels and DCs, but he only got some of the Marvels. The curator actually owned complete runs all the way up to the modern age, some of which Hauser still has--you might still be able to buy those now if you asked him because he was just auctioning off his remaining Curator Daredevils a few months ago. He tried to get CGC to pedigree titles such as Marvel Team-Up, but they wouldn't give the designation to books that new--something they also refused to do for parts of the Western Penn collection.

It's remotely possible that Curator rivals Pacific Coast in terms of completeness and quality, but we'll probably never know for sure.

Show us some of your curators hotshot. thumbsup2.gif

I only have two.

The High Priest of High Grade is in possession of most of them.

Couple of interesting things about them.

1. The Fantastic Four run is unslabbed and it's a big secret who owns them. I know who has them but my lips are sealed. Well, they aren't literally sealed. That was hyperbole.

2. The JIM run was sold before the anyone knew what they were. So, there are Curator JIMs out there waiting to be identified.

One cool thing about the Curator collection is that it includes at least some non-Marvel and DC books, which is nice for those of us that (gasp) don't collect either of those companies.

I believe that John told me that the Curator purchased only the #1s of non-Marvel/DC books. At any rate, I have the Archie and Me #1 and Archie as Pureheart #1 from the Curator collection and I know there are other SA Archie #1s out there as well.

I know that the Westernpa collection includes Archies. Are there any other SA pedigrees that anyone knows of that include Archie (or other non-superhero books)?

I know that the Westernpa collection includes Archies. Are there any other SA pedigrees that anyone knows of that include Archie (or other non-superhero books)?

I hear Pacific Coast is a totally complete run of Silver Age with all books from all publishers present, which is why it's often called the "Mile High of the Silver Age".

I've been able to find, so far, Gold Key and whatever company published the comic called "The Thing" books from the Pacific Coast so far. Hopefully I can find some more from other publishers. :\

Brian

how could you id a curator JIM book if some one had one ?

No markings, so you can't, that's why we'll never know what the collection was like in its entirety. You can guess its from the same collection based on preservation, but that seems like an unreliable way to do it.