• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is a CURATOR COPY ?

141 posts in this topic

I have a feeling there's some way a Pedigree expert could identify it. Not to mention, I'm sure there's some master list to compare with.

Haspel told me he thought he could identify them...he said they have more gloss, whiter pages, and nicer colors than he's ever seen on any other Silver age books. He said he can identify San Franciscos in almost exactly the same way--they exhibit a higher degree of preservation than any other pedigree. I dunno, though...he knows a lot more than I do, but I can't imagine you wouldn't mis-identify some books using that technique.

No list as of yet--not to say it's impossible to compile one with a bunch of work. The original owner consigned them to a shop in her hometown and the shop sold most of the comics off before Hauser got to them...the ones Hauser got hadn't been given over to the shop yet for consignment. I think the idea of the pedigree designation only came a few years later after Hauser and/or Brulato submitted theirs to CGC.

I have a feeling there's some way a Pedigree expert could identify it. Not to mention, I'm sure there's some master list to compare with.

Haspel told me he thought he could identify them...he said they have more gloss, whiter pages, and nicer colors than he's ever seen on any other Silver age books. He said he can identify San Franciscos in almost exactly the same way--they exhibit a higher degree of preservation than any other pedigree. I dunno, though...he knows a lot more than I do, but I can't imagine you wouldn't mis-identify some books using that technique.

One thing I question with this method is depending where these books end up the climate changes could change their appearance just enough so it would make it very hard to determine whether its from a certain pedigree that has no markings or just anohter high grade SA book. It seems that the Curators were perserved so well in that room that storing them any where else the books may eventually lose some of their spectacular luster especially if they aren't cared for just right.

Now that I think about it, he definitely meant that the preservation is just one factor in helping to identify San Francisco or Curator. Were the SF books marked? I can't remember. With Curator, and a bunch of other Silver pedigrees, I'd imagine it's more provenance documentation than anything else.

Supposedly, the original owner used the money he got from selling the collection to fund a sex change operation! 893whatthe.gif

Not "supposedly" - it's true.

Now is all this going to be in Matt Nelson's Pedigree Book? 27_laughing.gif

This is how bad rumors start. Are you implying Matt Nelson had a sex change, became the curator of a Marvel museum and wrote a book about it?

Can I get that at Amazon.com??

Just kidding Matt. We all love ya!

Now that I think about it, he definitely meant that the preservation is just one factor in helping to identify San Francisco or Curator. Were the SF books marked? I can't remember. With Curator, and a bunch of other Silver pedigrees, I'd imagine it's more provenance documentation than anything else.

HooDee is lucky he got one of the marked Curator's that says Curator right at the giants crotch.

No list as of yet--not to say it's impossible to compile one with a bunch of work. The original owner consigned them to a shop in her hometown and the shop sold most of the comics off before Hauser got to them...the ones Hauser got hadn't been given over to the shop yet for consignment. I think the idea of the pedigree designation only came a few years later after Hauser and/or Brulato submitted theirs to CGC.

San Francisco books have some marking on them. Not all of them, but most of them. The reason CGC doesn't always discuss these markings is to prevent fraud. People have been known to duplicate some markings to pass one over now and then. Mark Haspell knows what he is looking for. He can spot a pedigree.

The original owner died during WW2. Some people have claimed to have books from the collection but they are printed after the mans death. How did the man buy a book from the grave?? This is a trick even Houdini could not perform??

I know a lot about these types of things. I try and keep some of them to myself. I look for these pedigrees at shows and on ebay. I have found a few over the years.

Sometimes I am the only one who noticed, other times I am fighting to get the book at a top price.

Two or so years ago someone had a "missing" Marvel Mystery Mile High on ebay. A few people saw it and went after it. Other people just skipped on by and went to the next lot.

I saw a San Francisco Worlds Finest go on ebay as well. Went cheap from what I remember. I saw it after the sale. I missed that one. CGC did as well. The book was slabbed and had the Frisco markings on it. It did not have a pedigree on the label. I am certain the buyer had it sent back in for a regrade. CGC does not always catch a pedigree. If Mark Haspell gets to look at it, maybe. Many books go right past him and get graded by others as nice high grade books. They miss a few here and there. He always looks at the known, declared, pedigrees, he does not always look at the high grade books.

A frind of mine had a Top Notch Frisco that he sent it for slabbing. CGC called him and told him it was a pedigree. He didn't know. They informed him.

The original owner died during WW2. Some people have claimed to have books from the collection but they are printed after the mans death. How did the man buy a book from the grave?? This is a trick even Houdini could not perform??

I know a lot about these types of things. I try and keep some of them to myself. I look for these pedigrees at shows and on ebay. I have found a few over the years.

Luckily, Matt Nelson has shared most of this information with the world in his CBM article published a number of years back, and he's planning on sharing it all in the book he's working on. You can read his old article here: http://comicrestoration.freeservers.com/article1.htm

Up until America entered World War 2, Tom Reilly bought comics from the stands himself, but after he went off to war, the local store he bought them from were putting them aside and his parents would go buy the saved issues from time to time. The store owner probably kept saving them after his death in 1945 because I'm sure he wasn't informed right away, but how much longer, I've never heard defined. What year were the books from that you say were published after his death?

I've been able to find, so far, Gold Key and whatever company published the comic called "The Thing" books from the Pacific Coast so far. Hopefully I can find some more from other publishers. :\

Brian

Brian, if you mean "Thing!" it was published by Charlton...

San Francisco books have some marking on them. Not all of them, but most of them. The reason CGC doesn't always discuss these markings is to prevent fraud. People have been known to duplicate some markings to pass one over now and then. Mark Haspell knows what he is looking for. He can spot a pedigree.

Reminds me of my first time down to the SD Con in '90 or '91. First day of the con, Jon Warren who was Overstreet's editor at the time had a small box of books for sale. Went through the box and picked out three high grade Golden-Age books. The first one was a bright glossy copy of either Cap #29 or #31 and the other two were mid-20's Marvel Mysterys. Ended up taking the Cap for slightly over guide and left the other two since they weren't quite as sharp. Should have taken all three because the guy behind me proceeded to grab the other two. He then explained to me that the two which I had passed up on were SF copies as evident by the code on the cover.

He admitted to me that the Cap was clearly nicer than the two SF's, but that they were still worth more because of the pedigree alone. Ran into him a couple days later and he told me that he had traded one of the SF's for the Larson copy of Exciting #9. To this day I have a sample of all the other major GA pedigrees in my collection, but not a San Francisco. I guess I must have missed my chance. foreheadslap.gif

Still, it's alright for me miss on a pedigree at the time since I was still quite new to the GA game at the time. I am just surprised that somebody like Jon Warren would have also missed it. foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

That's a bummer, do you remember the 2 issues you passed on?

Timely

No, that was such a long time ago. I just chalk that up as part of the learning process which I hopefully won't repeat the next time.

Good thing is I still have the Cap sitting in my collection.

That's a bummer, do you remember the 2 issues you passed on?

Timely

No, that was such a long time ago. I just chalk that up as part of the learning process which I hopefully won't repeat the next time.

Hmmmmm. You bought the comics that looked better to you. What then did you learn? Was it something about yourself?

???

That was a great, interesting, historically important to the comic world, non derailing and just an overall fun read of a thread. Thanks for unearthing that.

Anybody know how many Gold Keys roundabout, have been slabbed as Curator copies?

Ghost Town, you are such a great asset to these boards btw. (thumbs u