• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is a CURATOR COPY ?

141 posts in this topic

I'm a fan of the Curator FFs, and attended the Heritage Auction in NYC to get a first hand look at the run and bid on a few of them. The cover stock on the Curator collection is the whitest and best preserved I have ever seen for early SA Marvels.

FF28Curator.jpg

....there were SO many beauties in that run..... but THIS one probably stood out to me most of all. The number on the label of other copies may be higher.... but there will NEVER be a copy nicer than this one. Please don't sell this one, Bob..... it really belongs with you :foryou: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The one that blew me away the most was the FF 5. As I posted on the boards at the time, I just about fell off my chair when I saw the scan. As some people know, I'm obsessed with structural grade, but on that copy (9.4), I would be willing to bet it's the best looking copy in existence even if there are any 9.6 or 9.8 copies out there.

The one that blew me away the most was the FF 5. As I posted on the boards at the time, I just about fell off my chair when I saw the scan. As some people know, I'm obsessed with structural grade, but on that copy (9.4), I would be willing to bet it's the best looking copy in existence even if there are any 9.6 or 9.8 copies out there.
do you have a scan of the book? Id love to see it.

It's gorgeous and bright - tough to find on that light blue/grey cover which often appears dingy.

But I do think it was over graded as a 9.4.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/fantastic-four-5-curator-pedigree-marvel-1962-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/7054-91493.s#74267426443

It's gorgeous and bright - tough to find on that light blue/grey cover which often appears dingy.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/fantastic-four-5-curator-pedigree-marvel-1962-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/7054-91493.s#74267426443

Given how much less two other 9.4s have sold for since, you wonder how much of a bath the buyer would take were he to sell it now. Of course, he may well be perfectly happy with it, in which case the question is moot.

Given how much less two other 9.4s have sold for since, you wonder how much of a bath the buyer would take were he to sell it now. Of course, he may well be perfectly happy with it, in which case the question is moot.

Curators generally command a premium over books in the same grade, even if the other books are pedigrees too.

I would definitely have paid a premium for the Curator FF 5 over any other copy.

Curators generally command a premium over books in the same grade, even if the other books are pedigrees too.

I would definitely have paid a premium for the Curator FF 5 over any other copy.

..... don't be coy, Tim.....it's so pedestrian.... and unfitting for a Penthouse Overlord like yourself ...... we know you snagged that sucka..... and nestled it amongst your Faberge's and Wyeths :baiting: GOD BLESS.....

The shrunken cover of the Curator FF5 was a turn-off for me.

Damn, we've got a tough crowd.

I don't know about the shrunken cover comment but I looked at that Curator book closely because I owned a copy at the time that I was convinced should have graded a 9.4 - it was gorgeous, white and bright - possibly brighter than the Curator copy (my copy graded with White pages).

It graded a 9.2 and when I saw the Curator graded as a 9.4 I could help but notice the 6 or 7 spine stresses. :facepalm:

..... don't be coy, Tim.....it's so pedestrian.... and unfitting for a Penthouse Overlord like yourself ...... we know you snagged that sucka..... and nestled it amongst your Faberge's and Wyeths :baiting: GOD BLESS.....

Please, owning a SA Marvel would be the very definition of pedestrian.

(worship)

....I bask in the scathing furnace of your rebuttal :flamed: .....GOD BLESS....

:acclaim:

lol

The shrunken cover of the Curator FF5 was a turn-off for me.

Damn, we've got a tough crowd.

I don't know about the shrunken cover comment but I looked at that Curator book closely because I owned a copy at the time that I was convinced should have graded a 9.4 - it was gorgeous, white and bright - possibly brighter than the Curator copy (my copy graded with White pages).

It graded a 9.2 and when I saw the Curator graded as a 9.4 I could help but notice the 6 or 7 spine stresses. :facepalm:

What you fail to understand after all these years, is that these are clearly visible colour breaking creases which their resto company can do nothing about and hence, do not factor that highly into CGC's overall final grade.

Now, if these were barely visible NCB creases which could only be seen if the book was held up at a certain angle to the light, this book would have been whacked all the way down to a 8.5 or possibly even lower. :screwy:

Of course in the second scenario, if you had used the sanctioned restoration services of their resto company and added additional revenue to the coffers of their parent company, the book would have graded out at 9.6 or even better. doh!