• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is a CURATOR COPY ?

141 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Any idea what kind of prices he was charging Tom for them and if it was for a premium or multiple to guide at the time?  :takeit:

I am certainly glad you didn't buy all of them, otherwise I would have been able to pick up some of the #1 losers that were I assumed nobody else wanted even at only top of guide prices.  (thumbsu

I don't know the prices charged to Brulato. All I know is that Hauser had planned on keeping X-Men 1 - 10 but Brulato kept trying and Hauser finally relented. Sadly, afterward Hauser felt terrible. He said he made Tom a millionare and he never even bought John dinner. This was all in the very late 90's with Tom submitting the books to CGC early on. It quickly went from a valuation based on Overstreet Guide to 9.8 CGC multiples in maybe a year's timeframe. John is a nice guy and an honest dealer. I honestly feel bad for him.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't know the prices charged to Brulato. All I know is that Hauser had planned on keeping X-Men 1 - 10 but Brulato kept trying and Hauser finally relented. Sadly, afterward Hauser felt terrible. He said he made Tom a millionare and he never even bought John dinner. This was all in the very late 90's with Tom submitting the books to CGC early on. It quickly went from a valuation based on Overstreet Guide to 9.8 CGC multiples in maybe a year's timeframe. John is a nice guy and an honest dealer. I honestly feel bad for him.

Sounds like John "sold his soul to the devil" so to speak. :devil: 

I'm sure there are many more stories like this in the hobby. I mean, look at the Church pedigrees. Sold off for basically nothing.

Edited by peewee22

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

That's a bit like the story of the Pacific Coast pedigree, too.  Robert Roter of Pacific Comic Exchange brought the collection to market as the "Original Owner collection" in the spring of 1999.  One year later, all the Marvels had been sold, CGC had opened for business, and buyers had begun having them encapsulated and re-selling them at large multiples of the Overstreet NM prices.  Entire runs of Tales of Suspense, X-Men, and Amazing Spiderman were sold to individual collector/dealers.  So even though Roter asked 2 to 3 times Overstreet for the books he graded NM++ and NM/M (which was most of the comics published from 1963-1970), within a couple years they were going for more than ten times those prices, in some cases nearly a hundred times more.

Edited by namisgr

48 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Does anyone know when the curator started buying and preserving copies? Are there any Curator copies of early key Showcases or Brave and Bolds? 

The Fantastic Four #1 was not high grade (although beautiful for its grade) but the #2 was graded 9.4.  That would put the ultra high grade of the pedigree to no later than January, 1962 cover dates.

I don't remember ever seeing Curator DCs from earlier than that, and as far as I know many of the mainstream DC titles are not represented in the pedigree.  It's also possible that many of the SA DCs were unattributed to the Curator collection, in much the way that the Fantastic Four run owned by Dan Jurgens was slabbed by CGC and brought to market at Heritage without Curator attribution, until Barton/GhostTown alerted them.

Edited by namisgr

17 minutes ago, namisgr said:

The Fantastic Four #1 was not high grade (although beautiful for its grade) but the #2 was graded 9.4.  That would put the ultra high grade of the pedigree to no later than January, 1962 cover dates.

I don't remember ever seeing Curator DCs from earlier than that, and as far as I know many of the mainstream DC titles are not represented in the pedigree.  It's also possible that many of the SA DCs were unattributed to the Curator collection, in much the way that the Fantastic Four run owned by Dan Jurgens was slabbed by CGC and brought to market at Heritage without Curator attribution, until Barton/GhostTown alerted them.

Thanks. You know your high-grade.  :foryou:

19 hours ago, namisgr said:

Bob - was the FF #1 ever "found" / noted?

Seems like there was an FF#1 5.5 that sold in that same auction that went for like $19K & then sold a week later for $30K (same serial #)... and while that copy wasn't noted - it was suspected of being the Curator copy?

20 hours ago, namisgr said:

FWIW I have MGA 80 and Showcase 34 as the only Curator DC keys. 

1 minute ago, tth2 said:

I know the MGA 80 (still kick myself for not pulling the trigger when it came up on Wilson's site), but had not realized there was a Showcase 34.  When/where did it come up for sale?

I'd have to dig around. The data for that list is spread all over. 

10 hours ago, tth2 said:

but had not realized there was a Showcase 34.  When/where did it come up for sale?

The Showcase Atoms (34-36) came up for auction at Heritage in 2012.

They were originally identified as a new collection - "North Star" and then someone realized they were part of the "Curator" collection.

The grades for the Showcases were #34 - 9.0, #35 - 9.2 and #36 - 9.6

The #34 has a large grease pencil date on it.

From the Heritage archives:

image.png.97d21756b2963ee36e6a992e2adeb4be.png

1 hour ago, DanCooper said:

The Showcase Atoms (34-36) came up for auction at Heritage in 2012.

They were originally identified as a new collection - "North Star" and then someone realized they were part of the "Curator" collection.

The grades for the Showcases were #34 - 9.0, #35 - 9.2 and #36 - 9.6

Thanks! (thumbsu

Now I remember the auction, and also realize why I didn't remember the #34. 

the curator ghost rider 1 [western] and sarge ann. 1 are coming up for sale in the feb. c'connect auction.  i understand the consignor is a great guy with 28,852 posts as of the time this post was made.

Edited by Straw-Man

20 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

the curator ghost rider 1 [western] and sarge ann. 1 are coming up for sale in the feb. c'connect auction.  i understand the consignor is a great guy with 28,852 posts as of the time this post was made.

There will be a serious boardie theme in the February comicconnect auction hm