• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is foxing?

9 posts in this topic

Foxing is a light brown to rust-colored spotting on aging paper, often identified as being of biologic origin. Once you see it, it is easily recognizable. Many camps believe it is fungal in nature, some (like myself) suspect it to be a bacteria. The brown to rust color is attributed to the oxidation of iron elements in, or on the surface of, aging paper. It is often found in books that have been stored in poor environments, not necessarily high-moisture situations. It is not limited to newsprint or comics, and is found throughout the realm of printed archives. :)

What exactly is foxing, and how do you spot it? (shrug)

Its when an attractive young damsel whisks past you on a cool summer evening gazing back at you with a seductive glare attempting to entice you with the , ..................er , ...what Divad said ...... meh

What exactly is foxing, and how do you spot it? (shrug)

Its when an attractive young damsel whisks past you on a cool summer evening gazing back at you with a seductive glare attempting to entice you with the , ..................er , ...what Divad said ...... meh

Although Divad's description is spot-on, I like yours better... :devil:

Foxing is a light brown to rust-colored spotting on aging paper, often identified as being of biologic origin. Once you see it, it is easily recognizable. Many camps believe it is fungal in nature, some (like myself) suspect it to be a bacteria. The brown to rust color is attributed to the oxidation of iron elements in, or on the surface of, aging paper. It is often found in books that have been stored in poor environments, not necessarily high-moisture situations. It is not limited to newsprint or comics, and is found throughout the realm of printed archives. :)

You made me go and do a search David to bring up those old threads where you and Scott talked all Dr.Science like about foxing.

I like the new Cliff Notes description much better!