• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,261 posts in this topic

I've seen a couple threads about TMNT #1, but none dedicated to the title as a whole. Anyhow, I figured I could get this one started! And what better way to get an "official" thread started than with a few questions to spark the conversation!

First, when did the regular Mirage series move from magazine format to regular size? Second, are all of the 1-issue micro series in magazine format or just some?

I've seen a couple threads about TMNT #1, but none dedicated to the title as a whole. Anyhow, I figured I could get this one started! And what better way to get an "official" thread started than with a few questions to spark the conversation!

First, when did the regular Mirage series move from magazine format to regular size? Second, are all of the 1-issue micro series in magazine format or just some?

Great idea! :acclaim:

To answer your questions, Mirage switched after the first 6 books in 1985, which were TMNT 1-4, Raphael Micro-Issue and the Fugitoid book (of which I just I just landed the cover for: http://qurls.com?i=46403 !!). Starting with issue 5, they moved to regual size. Which leads to your 2nd question, in that only the Raphael 1st print was mag sized; the rest of the micros were regular.

Also, the first 3 printings of #1 were mag sized, 4th printing on were regular sized. Same thing for the first 2 printings of #2. So taking these printings into consideration, there were 9 total books in Mag format.

Very cool! Yeah, one of my LCSs just picked up a collection with a huge stack of TMNT books-including a bunch of high grade #3s in first print, so I snagged one for about $3. It will make a nice reader copy so I won't have to crack open the SS one I just bought. I also snagged a copy of Raphael #1 (1st print) high grade, Donatello #1, and TMNT #5 (this one is reg. comic size, but has no marking indicating another printing). There were a bunch of others, but I wasn't 100% certain about the printing AND I needed to get home with groceries from my wife.

But yeah, dirt cheap and in high grade, so can't go wrong there!-)

I'll go ahead and post some from my collection:

#1 WHITE 9.0 1st print signed in interior by Eastman & Laird

0938460001O.jpg

#2 WHITE 9.8

CGC23.jpg

#3 WHITE 9.8

CGC3-1.jpg

#4 WHITE 9.8 (highest & only 9.8 SS)

CGC4SS.jpg

Yeah... but it hasn't been touched in a year and a half :baiting: But to be fair, I did do a search function, but only went back a year or so.

Anyhow, very excited as my TMNT #3 SS signed and sketched by both E&L came in. Graders' notes would have put it at a 9.0-9.2 BUT it had a price sticker on it which got it hammered down to a 7.5 :tonofbricks:

I'll be honest though... I am actually quite tempted to pick up my set slabbed for SS...so long as I have reading copies as well (which I do). :devil:

A few more...

#9- Beside my #1, the sole book not in 9.8 from my run of 1-12. I'd really like to see this book grade in 9.8, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a 9.6 if the opportunity presents

cgc9.jpg

My favorite book and one of my favorite covers

CGC10.jpg

#11- a close 2nd to #10, this story completes the Shredder returns story arc...

CGC11.jpg

And of course, I HAVE to show my painted OA cover for this sweet book :cloud9:

COVER11WATER2.jpg

This title makes me sick to think I could've had the original first issue when it came out and WAS TOLD by the LCS guy that it would be a hot title (but being as young as I was and into nothing but X-Men)...I just tossed it aside. 25 years later I am still kicking myself for not picking up multiple issues like the guy said I should! :makepoint:

This title makes me sick to think I could've had the original first issue when it came out and WAS TOLD by the LCS guy that it would be a hot title (but being as young as I was and into nothing but X-Men)...I just tossed it aside. 25 years later I am still kicking myself for not picking up multiple issues like the guy said I should! :makepoint:

Well, hopefully you didn't make the same mistake twice and picked up multiples of Kunf Fu Kangaroos and Jujitsu Gerbils... :insane: