• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,267 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, GM8 said:

What range do these sell for? I am a Turtle fan but really have no idea about these.

No solid range as most sell privately.  They come up so infrequently that it's very difficult to price them.  I'd be shocked if one sold for less than $15k in an open auction. 

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

No solid range as most sell privately.  They come up so infrequently that it's very difficult to price them.  I'd be shocked if one sold for less than $15k in an open auction. 

I was willing to go to $10,000 on that particular one :(

3 hours ago, spracknetch23 said:

Here it is. It's still in my watched items:

edit: never mind.. should have gone to the next page before posting lol

I appreciate the effort!

On 2/7/2018 at 6:26 AM, Parabellum said:

Beware!  Counterfeit copies of Gobbledygook 1 and 2 for sale on EBay.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Gobbledygook-1-and-2-MINT-SIGNED-/292439660633

I messaged the seller.  Let’s see how he responds.

I ended up buying this set of counterfeits as they are such cool pieces of Turtles history.  After we all contacted him telling him they were fake, he relisted them as "I was told these were fake but nice to have" a few days later.  In messages with him, he kept telling me the guy he bought them from years ago told him they were real.  I sent him some freely available Google search info. re: these and I even linked him to copies of the real things on my site. I felt bad for him because it sounded like he needed the money and he was just disappointed to not get the value from them that he thought he would.

This is my second set of yellow counterfeits...the first of which I bought years and years ago when I (and most everyone) thought they were the real thing (as @Turtle mentioned earlier).  Interestingly, my first set has matching numbers (#220 of 500 - meaningless, of course) but this set I just bought has different numbers between 1 (#213 of 500) and 2 (#206 of 500).  I've always been intrigued by sets of these sold together that have different numbers.  You'd think a set of them that someone had for a long time would have matching numbers.  I still wonder if there are copies out there with duplicated hand-numbering (i.e., two copies of #1 that are hand-numbered e.g., '#213 of 500')...that would be just another oddity adding to the intrigue on these.  

On 3/11/2018 at 12:01 PM, oakman29 said:

I sure would like to find a counterfeit TMNT1. To add to my set of #1's 

Me too!  I have been looking a long time for one.  I actually figured it would be easier to acquire than it has been.  

On 3/26/2018 at 4:23 PM, woregul said:

Wow. That is interesting as the seller is not the person I sold it to. Good luck to the seller and any buyers from here on the boards.

On 3/26/2018 at 6:47 PM, woregul said:

I got a response. Looks like it is staying off the market for now. The seller did buy it from the guy I had sold my copy to a while back. 

Re: Turtlemania Gold #6... it's crazy that it's changed hands now twice after you had it @woregul.  I suppose it gives me a bit of hope when one of these does seem to come up for sale every year or so...but, having the auction taken down was just a tease.  I was really hoping to finally land this thing...

Here are a couple of little things I’ve picked up lately.  I wonder if they put out anymore newsstand editions for vol 3?  I picked up the error copy from jet pack comics.  It was in a lot better shape than I though it would be, I’m thinking at least a 9.4.  I might get it graded one day.

A23FDD57-125B-4665-BB95-0020685BE64E.jpeg

5CA99164-C7F6-4C64-AE84-80B7B74FA974.jpeg

0B8A6442-31E6-47F7-8D4A-B894413FC77F.jpeg

Does CGC automatically give Turtlemania Silver (and gold for that matter) a green label for un-witnessed signatures on the back?  I just submitted one and was wondering since the census listed most as green qualified except for a couple copies of silver.

10 hours ago, mmmkam said:

Does CGC automatically give Turtlemania Silver (and gold for that matter) a green label for un-witnessed signatures on the back?  I just submitted one and was wondering since the census listed most as green qualified except for a couple copies of silver.

Not a CGC power user, but believe it’s whatever you request. If you ask for green they will grade as if the sigs weren’t there, if you ask for blue they will knock the grade for the sigs/writing. Is my understanding...most probably ask for green considering the nature of the book. I think I’d prefer blue though...

11 hours ago, mmmkam said:

The green label doesn’t detract from its value (IMHO) as far as turtlemania is concerned.

19 hours ago, mmmkam said:

9 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Not a CGC power user, but believe it’s whatever you request. If you ask for green they will grade as if the sigs weren’t there, if you ask for blue they will knock the grade for the sigs/writing. Is my understanding...most probably ask for green considering the nature of the book. I think I’d prefer blue though...

8 hours ago, Parabellum said:

The green label doesn’t detract from its value (IMHO) as far as turtlemania is concerned.

@mmmkam the Turtlemania Silver should come back with a Green Qualified label, unless as @Callaway29 stated, you request the blue.  My one Silver came back with Green Qualified as I didn't request anything specific.  My other Silver is CGC SS as I had Kevin Eastman sign it at a show so it has the Yellow CGC SS label.

Totally agree @Parabellum, the Green label doesn't detract from these Turtlemania Silver (and Gold) books.  

And, while we're on the Turtlemania topic...I'm now the proud owner of the little-known Hand-Colored edition of Turtlemania Special.  Thanks to fellow collector @ChrisFB for this !! (thumbsu

Turtlemania-Special-01-HAND-COLORED_fron

Edited by rich_TMNT
Image not showing