• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,267 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Turtle said:

Welcome to your first month on ebay!

:jokealert:

It really does happen ALL THE TIME, despite being against eBay's Terms of Service.  It allows a seller to skirt the selling fees ebay charges even though they used eBay's infrastructure to connect to the buyer.  The seller will often make some quick money doing this, but many buyers will block the seller moving forward as they don't want to play games eBay's system. 

HAHAHA, yeah, I knew people did this but I thought if it had bids on it it raised a red flag.

FWIW, I contacted the seller and he told me he setup a sale with someone for $9k.

22 hours ago, Turtle said:

Welcome to your first month on ebay!

:jokealert:

It really does happen ALL THE TIME, despite being against eBay's Terms of Service.  It allows a seller to skirt the selling fees ebay charges even though they used eBay's infrastructure to connect to the buyer.  The seller will often make some quick money doing this, but many buyers will block the seller moving forward as they don't want to play games eBay's system. 

It does happen all the time and it's a direct result of the ever-increasing fees charged to sellers and the ever-decreasing benifits sellers receive. It's not right but it just is.

On 9/3/2018 at 6:16 PM, pubmonkey said:

...on a lighter note I received the books below back from CGC recently. They were bought off the rack at my LCS in Montreal in ‘88/‘89 thus the ‘Canadian Edition’.

0324897F-DFBF-4B93-95EB-515F7285CB3A.jpeg

Nice!  You took really good care of these!!!

Hopefully this is OK to post as I thought there may be community interested in seeing the scans of this copy of Turtlemania Silver (its NOT for sale).  We are using it as a fun promotion (guess the number out of 100) so the identifying numbers are currently edited out. I will post the un-edited scans here on Friday, but any questions about it let me know as its one I actually purchased as a kid in the 80s. 

2 hours ago, nriccijr said:

How did that get a blue label

I was thinking that exact same thing.  And the odd thing is that the CGC census shows 6 copies Universal (Blue) and 6 copies Qualified (Green).  Would be nice to have some consistency in these labels as I don't see how Universal label would be possible with these pre-signed Silver books.  Also note that there are ZERO Gold copies listed as Universal and all are Qualified.  

If the signatures, being unverified, hurt the grade of the book they give green by default. If they don’t have an impact on grade, due to other defects, it by default gets blue. Plus, the submitter can request blue based off preference. Meaning, someone with a 9.6 green candidate could request a blue label, which would result in a lower grade due to sigs...in theory.

Edited by Callaway29

32 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

If the signatures, being unverified, hurt the grade of the book they give green by default. If they don’t have an impact on grade, due to other defects, it by default gets blue. Plus, the submitter can request blue based off preference. Meaning, someone with a 9.6 green candidate could request a blue label, which would result in a lower grade due to sigs...in theory.

Good to know.  Thanks.  I didn't think any pre-signed books were supposed to get the blue label anymore (at least those signed on the exterior).

On 10/2/2018 at 10:19 PM, rich_TMNT said:

Good to know.  Thanks.  I didn't think any pre-signed books were supposed to get the blue label anymore (at least those signed on the exterior).

Callaway is correct.  At least half of the time the “submitter” has this option. I’m thinking it must be a 3-4.0.  They grade this book very awkwardly though  

On 9/29/2018 at 11:54 AM, nriccijr said:

Wowza! Thanks for posting.  If I wasn’t going to NYCC on Saturday,  I would be there.  I’m sure you all understand that too much time away from the family is not good!  If anyone is going, please let me know. I would love a few signatures, verified or not.  I’ve said many times that the next time he signs, I would be there. This is a bit of a bummer for me! I still haven’t met the other half to the turtles.

Here are the scans as promised.  This is book 89/100.  @Callaway29 was spot on about the blue label.  In this case the book has a spine split just above the bottom staple.  Its was only ever opened, partially, one time, but since the cover is made of a stiff card stock it split instantly when it was brand new.  I have never forgiven myself :(

2018-10-01-0009.jpg

2018-10-01-0010.jpg

Did this already get discussed?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-TMNT-1-1st-Printing-CGC-9-6-Mirage-1984-/202438099575?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

CGC 9.6 TMNT #1 - watchcount.com says the "Best Offer" accepted was $20,000 and GPA has it at $20,000.  No signatures inside or out, just a standard CGC 9.6 White Pages blue label.

On 10/8/2018 at 5:05 PM, valiantman said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-TMNT-1-1st-Printing-CGC-9-6-Mirage-1984-/202438099575?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

CGC 9.6 TMNT #1 - watchcount.com says the "Best Offer" accepted was $20,000 and GPA has it at $20,000.  No signatures inside or out, just a standard CGC 9.6 White Pages blue label.

Didn't see that yet. That's a slight bump up from the average price of late. Seller had this up on Comic Link and ebay at several prices, originally 30K then 25, then 27, then 23.5. So he really tested the higher prices but settled at 20 for this one.

3 hours ago, GM8 said:
On 10/8/2018 at 4:05 PM, valiantman said:

Didn't see that yet. That's a slight bump up from the average price of late. Seller had this up on Comic Link and ebay at several prices, originally 30K then 25, then 27, then 23.5. So he really tested the higher prices but settled at 20 for this one.

I wish I could "settle" for a record price every time. lol

43 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I wish I could "settle" for a record price every time. lol

It would be a nice problem to have, no? However, this isn't a record. The Heritage sale on 11/17/17 of $26,920 was a record for a 9.6 (cgc # 1294883001). Still a nice price and ebay takes less of a hit on sale(and buy) than Heritage.