• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,271 posts in this topic

On 10/30/2018 at 11:03 AM, valiantman said:

This might be old, but I just saw it the other day and thought it was worth sharing for a laugh...

tmnt_p.jpg

Holy carp! Just saw this - and I’m fricken dying!

Whatta fricken riot!! That just got saved to photos and will be forwarding the turtle poop out of it!!

Here's one back from CGC.  Frankie's comics did a reprint of TMNT #1 with a variety of covers, one of which is a version of the original cover...so of course I had to add it to the collection.  I've really got to start a custom registry set.  I've got to have 20+ by now.  

If anyone ever sees a new book with an homage to TMNT #1's cover, feel free to tag me or send a message.  Thanks!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #01 Frankie's Variant.jpg

3 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Is it magazine size? 

Yes it is.  So are the others.  There's a Shredder cover by Clayton Crain, an uncolored Hulk 340 cover homage by Mike Vasquez, and then another 340 homage by Vasquez colored by Crain.  All 4 are magazine-sized. 

On 12/7/2018 at 8:17 PM, Turtle said:

If anyone ever sees a new book with an homage to TMNT #1's cover, feel free to tag me or send a message.  Thanks!

@Turtle Here's a list of the ones I know about from the past few years.  The first couple are new ones in the past few months in addition to the Frankie's Comics cover.  You may already have (or know about) all of these but just in case you don't...

- TMNT #1 Special Kickstarter Edition - available with the Munchkin TMNT Board Game Kickstarter campaign

- Radically Rearranged Ronin Ragdolls (Eastman cover) - TMNT homage / parody available through Kevin Eastman's "Drawing Blood" Kickstarter project.  There was also a Ben Bishop cover for RRRR but it's not really an homage to TMNT #1 (at least, I don't see it as one).

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Cerebi - TMNT parody from July 2018

- Do You Pooh? (3 homage covers) - these were issued a few years back so you may already know about these.

- TMNT Vol. V #45 Ottawa Comiccon - from back in 2015

- Squarriors #1 Phantom Variant - 2015

- TMNT Vol. I #1 (IDW) Lego SDCC 2014 - from SDCC 2014

- TMNT Vol. V #33 Jetpack - 2014

1 hour ago, rich_TMNT said:

- Radically Rearranged Ronin Ragdolls (Eastman cover) - TMNT homage / parody available through Kevin Eastman's "Drawing Blood" Kickstarter project.  There was also a Ben Bishop cover for RRRR but it's not really an homage to TMNT #1 (at least, I don't see it as one).

Is this only available if one was a supporter of the project?

7 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I think so.  It was only added as a backer incentive when the campaign hit a certain milestone.  I've not heard of any other way that these RRRR books were distributed.  

On 12/11/2018 at 1:41 PM, Ryan. said:
On 12/11/2018 at 12:37 PM, rich_TMNT said:

@Ryan. Kevin Eastman just posted surplus copies of his RRRR cover for sale on his website if you're still looking for one.  Kevin Eastman Studios - Drawing Blood

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:37 PM, rich_TMNT said:

@Turtle Here's a list of the ones I know about from the past few years.  The first couple are new ones in the past few months in addition to the Frankie's Comics cover.  You may already have (or know about) all of these but just in case you don't...

- TMNT #1 Special Kickstarter Edition - available with the Munchkin TMNT Board Game Kickstarter campaign

- Do You Pooh? (3 homage covers) - these were issued a few years back so you may already know about these.

@rich_TMNT

Thanks for the list!

But :censored:...Kickstarter!?  C'mon!  Anyone know where I can get one or will I just have to buy one bundled with the board game on ebay?  Any leads would be appreciated.

I'm still on the hunt for the 2018 Insight Edition, the reprint that came with the latest version of the Ultimate Visual history.  I didn't know about that one until Rich brought it to light.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:37 PM, rich_TMNT said:

Double Quote!

I do have a question about the Do You Pooh? books.

I have 4 different covers, but only 1 of them matches the 3 you have listed.  I have a picture handy (below) of the 3 standard sized books I have.  Ignore the Squarriors book. 

The one in the upper left is the standard edition limited to 25.  This matches the one you have listed. 

The one in the upper right is the "Red Sketch" edition and seems to be limited to 10.  I don't see this one listed on your site.

The one in the lower left is the "Chromium Series".  My copy is listed as "AP4" (Artist Proof?), but it doesn't look like the one on your site listed as "Homage Metal".  Mine lists "Chromium Series" along the bottom while the image you have doesn't.  Are these the same book?

Additionally, your site lists a Black and White edition that I've never seen before.  Do you have a physical copy of this one?  If so, I'm going to need to find one for my collection.

Finally, there's a magazine-sized version of the standard cover that was released this year. 

So there's certainly more than 3, but there's as many as 6?

Standard

Standard (Magazine)

Black & White

Red Sketch

Chromium

Homage Metal

If @rich_TMNT or anyone else can shed some light on these books, I'd appreciate it. 

IMG_4650.JPG

4 minutes ago, Turtle said:

@rich_TMNT

Thanks for the list!

But :censored:...Kickstarter!?  C'mon!  Anyone know where I can get one or will I just have to buy one bundled with the board game on ebay?  Any leads would be appreciated.

I'm still on the hunt for the 2018 Insight Edition, the reprint that came with the latest version of the Ultimate Visual history.  I didn't know about that one until Rich brought it to light.

@Turtle  Anytime!  

The Kickstarter one from the Munchkin game I've only seen as part of the game.  You'll likely have to buy the game and resell it after taking the comic out or see if someone has the game and they'd sell the comic separately. 

I had forgotten about the TMNT Ultimate Visual History (Insight Editions) copies in my list.  There are actually 2 versions of that one; one glossy and one matte.  The glossy copies were the original ones that came with the first edition of the UVH book (2014).  The matte copies are the current ones that come with the latest edition of the UVH book (2018).  You can get the 2018 version of UVH (and the matte copy of the TMNT #1 reprint) at Barnes & Noble for $20.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:54 AM, Ryan. said:

I picked up a Stan Sakai sketch of Leo but it felt like it was missing something. So off to Steve Lavigne for color who knocked it out of the park.

That looks amazing!

2 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Double Quote!

I do have a question about the Do You Pooh? books.

I have 4 different covers, but only 1 of them matches the 3 you have listed.  I have a picture handy (below) of the 3 standard sized books I have.  Ignore the Squarriors book. 

The one in the upper left is the standard edition limited to 25.  This matches the one you have listed. 

The one in the upper right is the "Red Sketch" edition and seems to be limited to 10.  I don't see this one listed on your site.

The one in the lower left is the "Chromium Series".  My copy is listed as "AP4" (Artist Proof?), but it doesn't look like the one on your site listed as "Homage Metal".  Mine lists "Chromium Series" along the bottom while the image you have doesn't.  Are these the same book?

Additionally, your site lists a Black and White edition that I've never seen before.  Do you have a physical copy of this one?  If so, I'm going to need to find one for my collection.

Finally, there's a magazine-sized version of the standard cover that was released this year. 

So there's certainly more than 3, but there's as many as 6?

Standard

Standard (Magazine)

Black & White

Red Sketch

Chromium

Homage Metal

If @rich_TMNT or anyone else can shed some light on these books, I'd appreciate it. 

@TurtleThere are definitely more copies of Do You Pooh? TMNT #1 homage than I have in my collection.  The list you provided with your 6 may be the complete list but I stopped buying them after the first three so I'm not sure.  I don't think the Metal edition and Chromium editions are the same thing.  The metal one was a Planet Awesome exclusive.  And the Black & White one is a physical copy that I thought came as a set with the regular edition but I don't recall.  And, unless you've seen something to the contrary, the magazine-size issue that was released just a few months ago wasn't a Do You Pooh? book but instead a reprint of Mirage TMNT #1 (published by IDW).  It was a Frankie's Comics exclusive but was only available with their 4-cover set

The Do You Pooh? books are clearly just pure money grabs by those involved with producing them and the interior story isn't really my cup of tea (which is the same in all of the Do You Pooh? books since they can't legally produce a 2nd issue).  After I bought the first three, every few months they'd ping me and say, "Hey, we have a new version for you...it's a 'such and such' version limited to xx copies for $250 (or some other insane price)."   I decided to just bail on them because of the increasing costs with every new issue...and I figured they'd never stop as long as they felt collectors were wanting them.  So, however many more there are would likely be listed somewhere online (maybe multiple places).  Two of the covers are listed on Comic Book Realm (1G & 1H) but I've not been able to find a complete list anywhere.

41 minutes ago, rich_TMNT said:

@TurtleThere are definitely more copies of Do You Pooh? TMNT #1 homage than I have in my collection.  The list you provided with your 6 may be the complete list but I stopped buying them after the first three so I'm not sure.  I don't think the Metal edition and Chromium editions are the same thing.  The metal one was a Planet Awesome exclusive.  And the Black & White one is a physical copy that I thought came as a set with the regular edition but I don't recall.  And, unless you've seen something to the contrary, the magazine-size issue that was released just a few months ago wasn't a Do You Pooh? book but instead a reprint of Mirage TMNT #1 (published by IDW).  It was a Frankie's Comics exclusive but was only available with their 4-cover set

The Do You Pooh? books are clearly just pure money grabs by those involved with producing them and the interior story isn't really my cup of tea (which is the same in all of the Do You Pooh? books since they can't legally produce a 2nd issue).  After I bought the first three, every few months they'd ping me and say, "Hey, we have a new version for you...it's a 'such and such' version limited to xx copies for $250 (or some other insane price)."   I decided to just bail on them because of the increasing costs with every new issue...and I figured they'd never stop as long as they felt collectors were wanting them.  So, however many more there are would likely be listed somewhere online (maybe multiple places).  Two of the covers are listed on Comic Book Realm (1G & 1H) but I've not been able to find a complete list anywhere.

100% agree...these are certainly made purely as a money grab.  This whole collecting thing feels like a sickness sometimes. 

I've never read the story.  It doesn't interest me much, though I would be interested to hear why they can't produce a second issue.  And I was under the impression that all the Do You Pooh books are Planet Awesome exclusives, but I could be wrong.  They seem to work hand-in-hand with one another.  One thing I've found is that information on these books is sparse.  It's tough to nail down any concrete data on them. 

The Frankie's exclusive (posted a little earlier in this thread) is a different book.  There is, indeed, an magazine-sized Do You Pooh? book.  If they come out with 5 different versions of this one, I'll need to bail too.  In the meantime, I need to keep my eyes open for the Homage Metal and the B&W versions.  :sick:

Do You Pooh _1 Magazine.JPG