• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,267 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, nriccijr said:

Well here it is.....got it in my hands today. I am very excited to finally own an early E&L page (with a turtle). I have been struggling with the decision to buy one for a while, but as the pages I liked started to sell I figured YOLO and got up at 2am one morning and pulled the trigger. One of my favorite themes in the series is Raph's internal struggles so I went with this one, plus I like the background and toning.

Sweet page!  Congrats on this.  Definitely a prized piece.  Thanks for sharing it.

Great page @TMNT 

I don't know why, but I always remember this moment more than others in that issue.  It was just fun to see them outsmart the Foot.  It reminds me of the same kind of humor used in the 1990 live action movie.

Congratulations! 

Thanks! And yes, my thoughts exactly. The page and movie both have that same feel. I really love these Turtles vs the Foot pages. I have one more page from this issue I need to scan and put up. 

On 5/5/2019 at 6:18 PM, nriccijr said:

Well here it is.....got it in my hands today. I am very excited to finally own an early E&L page (with a turtle). I have been struggling with the decision to buy one for a while, but as the pages I liked started to sell I figured YOLO and got up at 2am one morning and pulled the trigger. One of my favorite themes in the series is Raph's internal struggles so I went with this one, plus I like the background and toning.

20190505_180419.thumb.jpg.abb6b417f3c3946930ddb4b9d2de8e2c.jpg

Page Buddy!

VsISl3UP_0108172027511gpadd.jpg

I also have the cover rough for the second printing.

qF1k1Yhh_010817223111rot.jpg

Ahh...there is it! I was wondering who got that one!

I am guessing that is what Steve was selling recently, but didn't go into detail what he was selling? Too bad Pete wrote on such an iconic page...but I guess it was a gift so...

What happens when you own every page from 10?!?!!

On 5/10/2019 at 7:06 PM, nriccijr said:

Ahh...there is it! I was wondering who got that one!

I am guessing that is what Steve was selling recently, but didn't go into detail what he was selling? Too bad Pete wrote on such an iconic page...but I guess it was a gift so...

What happens when you own every page from 10?!?!

Thanks guys! And yup, would have of course prefer if it'd been signed in the margins like they normally do  but this was such an iconic piece, THE image of Shredder in my eye, that I had to get it. 

And won't be getting every page from 10 that's for sure!! Honestly still shocked at having 5 of them. I would have been happy with any one of them so if I never get another ill be more than content. But, doesn't hurt to keep an eye open, just in case... :)

29 minutes ago, rabidwolf said:

Holy cow

31k already for the gold turtle mania 9.0 on comiclink

you can pick up a 9.8 tmnt 1 for that price 

I know it!  It's unbelievable.  Every time I've had the opportunity to buy a Gold, the price has always been more than I could justify paying.  But, now the price is just insanity...totally and completely out of my reach.  Sadly, I've had to come to terms with the realization that this last remaining book I need is now truly outside of my ability to acquire.  Only way I can get one now is to find the one remaining copy (#5) that has yet to surface...in some old dusty back-issue bin for $2.  At least that's my dream.   xD

The Silver copy also on ComicLink is currently at $6,600 which is also quite insane.  

Edited by rich_TMNT

Turtlemania has always been baffling to me.  The market seems to value this book highly compared to other TMNT pieces strictly for the rarity. 

I understand the draw of TMNT #1...first appearance of the Turtles, Splinter, and Shredder with a super iconic cover. 

I also understand the draw of Gobbledygook.  First appearance of the Fugitoid, ad page for TMNT #1 that pre-dates the book's release, hand-crafted by the co-creators. 

But Turtlemania?

The cover artwork is fun, but certainly not iconic.

The book itself doesn't contain an exclusive story.

It doesn't contain a first appearance or prototype or ad for any notable character. 

The book wasn't even published by the guys at Mirage Studios.

It is basically a convention exclusive that caught SERIOUS fire.  It's rare, so people want it....I just don't get why.  You can go to NYCC or SDCC and find a ton of ultra-limited convention exclusives.  None of them seem to hold value anywhere on the same planet as Turtlemania. 

Do I think they are cool?  Absolutely!  Do I want one?  Of course!  Do I understand why these are fetching higher prices than pretty much any early TMNT art that has come to market in the last 10 years?  Not in the slightest. 

If someone cares to explain this to me, I'm eager to learn!  :smile:

Edited by Turtle

The main appeal of the book is the 10 production number, for sure. It’s the completionist dream, and higher end collectors will pay what they must to own it. It baffles me too. It also has the sketches on the back, which are cool but  I’m sure they’re not driving the price.

8 minutes ago, spracknetch23 said:

The main appeal of the book is the 10 production number, for sure. It’s the completionist dream, and higher end collectors will pay what they must to own it. It baffles me too. It also has the sketches on the back, which are cool but  I’m sure they’re not driving the price.

But they're not canon.  It's basically a fan book.  Can I make a one-off book, pay Kevin to do a nice commission on the back cover and then slab and sell it and hope it sells for $50,000?  Like Turtle says, I don't get the appeal.  It's cool to have in the collection, but not $31,000 cool.  You can pick up 8 pages of early Mirage art for that kinda scratch.  

I agree wholeheartedly. I don’t think the interior even has a new, complete story. It’s just a preview of upcoming issues TMNT #8 and Donatello #1. It does have a nifty list of the print runs of various Mirage issues.

However, even though not canon, it’s an older variant, and some collectors are completionists. It only takes two people willing to shell out the $ to hit $31k. I’d much rather have the 8 pages of Mirage art for my money. 

I know back when I was completing my run, the Gold was simply a myth but still my dream book. After landing one of them it was super cool to have it next to the Silver and Common and felt like an amazing accomplishment.

For me, it was the rarity of it. Just like with the Gooks. I never cared for any of the fake Gooks, tmnt 1, etc. but trying to find 1of 10  Golds was really the only draw as like you said, the content is not particularly special (esp. Since you could get the exact same in a common $5 white...). And the rear art is great but again, much better early art out there. Somehow this made the echelon of top book and has been that way for years... 30K+ and even 6k for the Silver is bananas.

I always feel like tmnt is this niche little thing with just a few of us weirdos... But with a variety of books, art  and now sealed video games reaching 4 and 5 figures fairly regularly its clear that the collecting audience is much bigger than appears.