• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,267 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2019 at 11:25 AM, Ryan. said:

Went to the Boston show yesterday. Early Turtles stuff is sky high. Even reprint issues, like issue 1 4th and 5th print and the later FCBD reprint, have crazy sticker prices. Like $50 for very fine copies. I saw a $1000 sticker on a Fine second print. 

Was good to see Steve and Dee Lavigne. I couldn't resist picking up the original blue lines for Steve's rendition of the issue 1 cover. 

20190816_213428.jpg

Are you kidding?  I picked up a 3rd print of TMNT #2 VF/NM- and a 2nd print of TMNT #3 VF/NM- at my LCS yesterday for $5 each.  Guess they missed the memo.  

2 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

Are you kidding?  I picked up a 3rd print of TMNT #2 VF/NM- and a 2nd print of TMNT #3 VF/NM- at my LCS yesterday for $5 each.  Guess they missed the memo.  

Please tell us where this LCS is, so we all can get rich.

2 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

I don't know about ask prices for later issues. I think the recent 9.8 $90k sale of issue 1 is causing all variations of issue 1 to have escalating ask prices. 

36 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I don't know about ask prices for later issues. I think the recent 9.8 $90k sale of issue 1 is causing all variations of issue 1 to have escalating ask prices. 

Guess that makes sense.  I'm still curious to know if it was even paid.

5 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

Guess that makes sense.  I'm still curious to know if it was even paid.

Don't those auction sites make you sort of "pre-pay" and enter your banking / CC info before bidding?

17 minutes ago, nriccijr said:

Don't those auction sites make you sort of "pre-pay" and enter your banking / CC info before bidding?

Legally they cannot remove the money without your authorization.  So even though HA/CL/CC all have my banking info, if I bid $100,000 on a book/piece of art, I still need to "check out".  If you look at section 24 of Heritage's terms of service, they say that you have to pay in full within 7 days (or make alternative arrangements, i.e. time payments etc.) If you don't pay, they can void the sale, and you're relieved of having to buy the piece, BUT you owe (at the election of HA) either the buyer and seller's fee) or 20% of the hammer price.  So... theoretically, let's say you own a TMNT #1 and have somewhat deep pockets.  You put one up in auction, you shill it up to $90,000 with the BP.  You don't pay and owe HA the BP and Seller's fee, about $26,000.  You pay them that, and then sell the book elsewhere (or if you have two TMNT's put up the other one).  Now the book has a comp at $90,000 so if someone wins it at $80,000 they feel like they got a steal, and you got an extra 40+ k (or netted an extra 14+ k). 

24 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

That came out fantastic.  Did you double mat or is the white at the edge from the piece?

Thanks!

The white is a border on the piece itself.  I considered matting it out, but a couple of the signs extend into that border so I left it in.  It's most noticeable on the "One Way" sign in the upper left.

The artist is Rick Veitch who did a few issues in Volume 1.  It's the cover to Amazing Heroes #171:

Amazing-Heroes-171_1st-print-September-1989.thumb.jpg.a00c691eb99d018a2c72282588b7abf4.jpg

I have slacked on getting a lot of new turtle books and rarities, and was actually going to pay double for these after I made the decision not to pre-order them from game stop when they first came out. They were at SDCC as well. Well, they re-released them, and they get sent individually now. They are still available as well!!  $92.00 for the set. I know you guys have probably seen many pictures of people posing these on social media, but they are phenomenal. 

For you turtle aficionados and turtleheads, which famous group pose did I try and recreate? 

I tried not to ignore my wife last night, but was playing like a kid. My son loves them as well, even though I felt bad telling him to be delicate with a toy. A comic- yes, but delicacy with a toy for a five-year-old is tough. 

8BF56361-D9B7-4F97-85C7-D45F66058DFA.jpeg

DDCC68BA-5679-4D15-8BD7-0AD8DCD3DE83.jpeg

5 minutes ago, SpideyFein said:

I have slacked on getting a lot of new turtle books and rarities, and was actually going to pay double for these after I made the decision not to pre-order them from game stop when they first came out. They were at SDCC as well. Well, they re-released them, and they get sent individually now. They are still available as well!!  $92.00 for the set. I know you guys have probably seen many pictures of people posing these on social media, but they are phenomenal. 

For you turtle aficionados and turtleheads, which famous group pose did I try and recreate? 

I tried not to ignore my wife last night, but was playing like a kid. My son loves them as well, even though I felt bad telling him to be delicate with a toy. A comic- yes, but delicacy with a toy for a five-year-old is tough. 

8BF56361-D9B7-4F97-85C7-D45F66058DFA.jpeg

DDCC68BA-5679-4D15-8BD7-0AD8DCD3DE83.jpeg

TMNT #4!

Cool set!

20 minutes ago, SpideyFein said:

They are still available as well!!  $92.00 for the set. 

Thanks for making me spend another $100 :cool:

Just bought a set. Couldn't resist. 

I also grabbed a 35th anniversary set from Walmart last weekend. 

28 minutes ago, Turtle said:

This one:

TMNT-Color-Classics-04_Cover-RE-Jetpack_1st-print-Sept-2012.thumb.jpg.e7c474223228a31415912e0c97ae24ca.jpg

Yeah baby! You knew I was going to pick this one- my favorite! 

13 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Thanks for making me spend another $100 :cool:

Just bought a set. Couldn't resist. 

I also grabbed a 35th anniversary set from Walmart last weekend. 

Sorry man. You will be happy with them! I couldn’t find a set at my local Walmart. I’m going to keep looking. I like the boxing on those ones. I’m “posing” the 90’s movie turtles now. I should just say playing lol 

1 hour ago, SpideyFein said:

Where are these available?

What price range can I expect/look for on my search for a FN or higher 2nd print #1? I sold mine last year (along with 1st Prints of 2-4 + Raph one shot) and have regretted it ever since. I'd love to have that set back but more than anything I want to pick up #1 again. 

23 hours ago, SpeedforceKJ said:

What price range can I expect/look for on my search for a FN or higher 2nd print #1? I sold mine last year (along with 1st Prints of 2-4 + Raph one shot) and have regretted it ever since. I'd love to have that set back but more than anything I want to pick up #1 again. 

I would say a FN / VF CGC would be in that 700.00- 800.00 range

VF CGC 8.0ish would be in that 1000.00 dollar range. 

Hope to hear from others responses.