• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,280 posts in this topic

On 12/5/2019 at 8:44 PM, Turtle said:

Here's a pet project that's FINALLY finished

Reveal hidden contents

Professionally bound TMNT comics with imitation leather covers and a gold-colored embossed title logos.

798535647_BB01.thumb.jpg.4c414a779ec6b5dde51b2d3092105862.jpg

The spine features the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" title along with volume number stamp and a custom shell stamp at the top with 2 panel lines on either side. 

1749139650_BB02.thumb.jpg.81d16d65f3dc7208371ece06b165db91.jpg

The comics were all sized to give the book a very uniform profile.

926176976_BB03.thumb.jpg.a71b6a0249d76d064ea0b57d47eb71c3.jpg

I made up a table of contents for each book with a shell background and a font style reminiscent of the original cartoon.  Fans of the series know there were a lot of guest issues in the original run, which makes an official "canon" tricky.  For volumes 1+2, I tried to include the main narrative of volume 1 that starts with their origin and takes them through the end of the events of City at War (end of Volume 1), omitting any issue that didn't directly tie into this story. 

2103306841_BB04.thumb.jpg.5ebe6afb288e192a8e6c285ea5da1a95.jpg1856461483_BB05.thumb.jpg.e7cc597fac8035b41f28829edaf932da.jpg

Volume 3 contains stories that are no doubt in the main canon of TMNT lore, but don't directly tie to the main narrative that involve the Turtles, the Foot, and the Utroms.  Many of these are more light-hearted adventures during the early years.  This includes the original run of Tales of the TMNT which introduces several longstanding characters like Leatherhead and Rat King.

287249606_BB06.thumb.jpg.23371a745a61c7020939c2d116f1d613.jpg

Volume 4 is a collection of stories from the original run that may or may not be part of any particular fan's canon, but they are good stories nonetheless.  Plus, due to some rights issues, The River has not been reprinted at all since Nickelodeon acquired the property, so even with all the modern collected editions, you won't find this story very often. 

1760897221_BB07.thumb.jpg.be5f37c960a39dc195fc1af668edb88c.jpg

The final volume is a collection of stories/issues that contain good stories but generally weren't collected elsewhere by IDW (yet).  IDW did release an Ultimate Edition Hardcover collecting a lot of TMNT short stories.  I did my best to put stories in here that weren't readily available there. 

1500138571_BB08.thumb.jpg.728062c13ed34ffae7a81821fdbafb20.jpg

To prep the books, I removed the staples.  With wraparound covers, I was able to get it bound in such a way to display the full cover. 

898026468_BB09.thumb.jpg.8eba787812f95e8c0558fdb6940c3f45.jpg1576103007_BB10.thumb.jpg.2af28e82669f9f7211503e7ef8af6a42.jpg

One other nice feature is since these are original releases, they'll contain ads/previews/letters that aren't generally reprinted elsewhere, which is a fun bonus. 

365808691_BB11.thumb.jpg.2dec45087b245b3e77e61fed62886c20.jpg

I am THRILLED to have these back.  It took a surprising amount of time to decide the stories to bind, how best to organize them, get the books, prep them, and send them to the bookbinder.  It has been quite the experience, but I'm very happy with the result. 

This came out really great!  Nice set of books.  I bought a bound version of TMNT #1-4 + Raphael years ago on eBay that looks very similar to this (just not as thick and, of course, oversized due to the larger issues).  That was the first time I knew this could be done with comic books.
Congrats on getting this project complete.  Really a neat collection. 

12 hours ago, TMNT said:

Finished up 2019 with a classic inside cover piece! Feel like I've seen this countless time so super happy to add this to the ole collection. :) Happy New Years everyone!

giphy.gif.ab6f025ca9847b4d57e6731845c13add.gif

Another cool pickup!  Thanks for sharing!

With Ronin coming out this year, could it be possible that Laird may be doing a couple more signings this year than in the past? I know Steve has said he is gonna be at a show in Texas this year that Kevin is gonna be at, would love to see Peter be there as well. My dream/goal/grail has been to get my 2nd print #1  signed by Kevin and Peter. I could get Kevin's easy by sending it to anyone I know going to a show but I want to get these ones specifically in person. 

3 hours ago, SpeedforceKJ said:

With Ronin coming out this year, could it be possible that Laird may be doing a couple more signings this year than in the past? I know Steve has said he is gonna be at a show in Texas this year that Kevin is gonna be at, would love to see Peter be there as well. My dream/goal/grail has been to get my 2nd print #1  signed by Kevin and Peter. I could get Kevin's easy by sending it to anyone I know going to a show but I want to get these ones specifically in person. 

He may do some surprise signings in the NE area but I'd be shocked if he traveled anywhere outside of that range. Laird basically shows up for a signing out of boredom. It's just not something he cares much about. 

Congrats, Adam. I remember when that book was first done all those years ago and regretting that I didn't spring for the full size figures instead of getting head sketches. 

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 9:33 PM, oakman29 said:

How difficult is it to find a NM Raphael #1. I do have a VF+, but. I want a better copy, but having a tough time.

They show up somewhat frequently on ebay.  A few times a year at least.  Are you looking for graded or raw?

:whee:

I just got the grades for my recent CGC submission.  Among the group is a TMNT book that currently has no 9.8's on the census.  That will change as soon as they update the census. 
:headbang:

I'll be sure to show it off here when it arrives.  Until then, feel free to guess.

CGC.JPG.f6b6c8a446d16ec9d81d225e09897cd5.JPG

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

:whee:

I just got the grades for my recent CGC submission.  Among the group is a TMNT book that currently has no 9.8's on the census.  That will change as soon as they update the census. 
:headbang:

I'll be sure to show it off here when it arrives.  Until then, feel free to guess.

CGC.JPG.f6b6c8a446d16ec9d81d225e09897cd5.JPG

TMNT #28 (1990) :foryou:

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

TMNT #28 (1990) :foryou:

^^

I’ve been getting high-grade Volume 1 TMNT books for over 10 years.  Believe me when I tell you that this book is incredibly tricky to find in NM/M condition.  It generally suffers from what appears to be a horizontal printer roll across the whole width of the book and various severity.  Many copies also seem to have slightly rounded corners on the spine side.

If I’m not mistaken, this is the last issue from Volume 1 to get a 9.8.  I’ll be happy to show it off when it arrives.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 9:33 PM, oakman29 said:

How difficult is it to find a NM Raphael #1. I do have a VF+, but. I want a better copy, but having a tough time.

This one looks nice.  Sold for $200 in January.

This one is a little rougher for $170, also in January.

Plus 3 Graded 9.4 copies sold for $200-$240 in the last 2 months:

Copy 1 Copy 2 Copy 3

I'd recommend setting up a saved search in Ebay...something like "Raphael -CGC" in comics over $75.  I'd bet that you'd find a suitable match within 2 months. 

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

This one looks nice.  Sold for $200 in January.

This one is a little rougher for $170, also in January.

Plus 3 Graded 9.4 copies sold for $200-$240 in the last 2 months:

Copy 1 Copy 2 Copy 3

I'd recommend setting up a saved search in Ebay...something like "Raphael -CGC" in comics over $75.  I'd bet that you'd find a suitable match within 2 months. 

That is amazing,  thank you for going through all that time and effort for me. I am greatly appreciative. 

21 hours ago, Turtle said:

^^

I’ve been getting high-grade Volume 1 TMNT books for over 10 years.  Believe me when I tell you that this book is incredibly tricky to find in NM/M condition.  It generally suffers from what appears to be a horizontal printer roll across the whole width of the book and various severity.  Many copies also seem to have slightly rounded corners on the spine side.

If I’m not mistaken, this is the last issue from Volume 1 to get a 9.8.  I’ll be happy to show it off when it arrives.

You're right about the horizontal printer roll on this one. I bought mine in the shop back in the day and it has this, otherwise it's a solid 9.6. Have you had luck pressing this defect out?