• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,267 posts in this topic

Ryan - thank-you so much my man for detailed reply! Truly appreciate you contacting Wilson. So nice of you to do so. 

As I just discovered the staples definitely show some “silver” legitimacy with the oxidation occurring and how punctured in they are. 

I purchased it from eBay via “secretfigureshop” member since 05 with 1,525 positive out of Rice, MN. That’s the sole provenance I can give you. 

Danny - I totally hear you, about wanting a signed/numbered Silver. 

Edited by Icculus308win

8 minutes ago, Icculus308win said:

Ryan - thank-you so much my man for detailed reply! Truly appreciate it you contacting Wilson. 

As I just discovered the staples definitely show some “silver” legitimacy with the oxidation occurring and how punctured in they are. 

I purchased it from eBay via “secretfigureshop” member since 05 with 1,525 positive out of Rice, MN. That’s the sole provenance I can give you. 

Adam - I totally hear you, about wanting a signed/numbered Silver. 

Cool book!  The Turtlemania books all just have unique and odd history.  I'd be lying if I felt we'd now found every last variant of these.  Especially now that Robert is releasing "30th Anniversary Editions" that seem to be numerous in their variations. 

2 hours ago, TMNT said:

If I'm in the market for a Silver:

1. I don't want one I'm so uncertain about 

2. Gotta have the sigs and number

That would be like getting a Gold without a sketch... Sure it's a Gold but that sketch is major part of makes it. Just my 2c

I've got to put a +1 on this one. 

Especially given all the newer "anniversary" copies that are getting created all the time, anything that doesn't tick all the boxes for an authentic, original copy would make me nervous. 

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

Could be a proof copy of some sort.

Is there a way to establish provenance?

This was my very first thought.  In fact, I used to own a Proof and a Sample the Silver Turtlemania Covers.  But even then, both of them were signed.  One was signed by Wilson, the other was signed by Eastman & Laird.  This is my first time seeing an unsigned copy, but @rich_TMNT offered a very plausible explanation.  This is especially true when taking a closer look at the staples.  They do appear to show evidence of aging.  Rust is a very real issue on authentic copies.  The beginning of oxidation shown on this copy lends some credence that it likely wasn't made recently. 

I think Rich's explanation is the most likely and, if we accept that as truth, then it's a very cool high grade copy. I note that the ebay seller didn't mention "silver" anywhere in the listing title or description so the final price was likely much lower than it could have been otherwise.

2 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I think Rich's explanation is the most likely and, if we accept that as truth, then it's a very cool high grade copy. I note that the ebay seller didn't mention "silver" anywhere in the listing title or description so the final price was likely much lower than it could have been otherwise.

Although it's not a signed and numbered copy, it's a great find for a great price.  Another cool piece of early Turtles history.

I bid on it  it not knowing what the helll it exactly was except it looked the Silver gray not White regular edition copy and CGC slabbed it “Silver” but was missing the sigs/numbered out of. 
I recalled Rich’s post about the colored copy that came forth and thought maybe it’s something not seen before but legit, or it was a copy that missed the boat upon for the sigs and numbering on the back.

I figured I’d bid $550 and I wouldn’t be that perturbed if CGC just mislabeled it, wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had to send a mislabeled book back or buying a raw book and getting hosed with resto or what have you. 

I didn’t think I would actually win it! When I realized I actually did, I thought I’d wait until in hand and see wtf it was. When I came up dumbfounded I knew I could reach out here to you guys to enlighten me.....and once again these Boards and you fellow TMNT lovers didn’t let me down🤘

I thank-you all so much. Rich my 🎩 off to you for your sharing with me (all of us) your knowledge and professional opinion. Truly appreciate it my man!

BTW, full disclosure on the price:

I C38949DC-4B6C-47E5-B089-0B27087BB5FC.thumb.png.0f5010bdf622293324e817657f798c6d.png

Edited by Icculus308win

On a different note, I always liked this comic's cover but rarely hear many who have heard about it::

The print run was less than 500 copies and when I suggested this to websites like http://www.recalledcomics.com, they seem uninterested. heh. :nyah:

sDigitalWebbingPresents24.png

Edited by whetteon

@whetteon  Digital Webbing Presents #24 has a few different covers but that TMNT one is the hardest to find (outside of the Museum Edition Variant).  Definitely it's the coolest (of course!).  I wish the print quantity were recorded on each issue like it is on this variant...that would make things so nice and clear.  Great grade on this, too.

This one is another I think fits into the "#1 homage category".  When I found out about it, I picked one up cheap and submitted it with my latest order.  Batman/TMNT 3 #2:

336875509_BatmanTeenageMutantNinjaTurtlesIII1.thumb.jpg.73be49c3b0b1ecfbf0b98dd135dcacc2.jpg

18 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

:cry: I'm fortunate enough to own this page from Issue 2.  Freddie and Kevin both signed it.  Freddie did the Batman and Kevin did the Turtles.   

I haven't read the stories, but I do dig the art.  Terrific pickup!