• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,291 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2020 at 11:59 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I hope it's a mistake on their part and it comes back a first print then!  Thats sort of scary it happened!

To close the loop on this, I did call and ask them to make to note to verify printing.  When it went to Grading/QC, it was marked as a 1st print.  

I'm curious, does anyone know CGCs stance on why they do not put the first appearance details on the label of the 4th and 5th printings of #1?

While I agree they are more like new comics that reprint the first issue (even the fourth print says 'reprinting' on the cover), but they are still technically marked as being another 'print' of the first. Just seems to me if the 'Xth print' run detail is still honoured then wouldn't it be still appropriate to mark down the first appearance notes on the table (in addition to the new story page and wraparound cover note). I'm sure it's been brought up before, but can't seem to find anything specific to this.

On 10/17/2020 at 1:45 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I'm curious, does anyone know CGCs stance on why they do not put the first appearance details on the label of the 4th and 5th printings of #1?

While I agree they are more like new comics that reprint the first issue (even the fourth print says 'reprinting' on the cover), but they are still technically marked as being another 'print' of the first. Just seems to me if the 'Xth print' run detail is still honoured then wouldn't it be still appropriate to mark down the first appearance notes on the table (in addition to the new story page and wraparound cover note). I'm sure it's been brought up before, but can't seem to find anything specific to this.

I can't speak for CGC, but I think 2 things play a factor in these things:

1) If there's a first appearance or any other item of note, these all have to be put in by hand the first time.  As such, they won't always have the information handy, so if fans want to see more information on these labels, they'll need to contact CGC.  I know I've done this with a few TMNT issues in the past (first appearance of Shadow in volume 1 comes to mind).  However, since the first appearances in issue #1 is pretty well-known, I suspect a second reason is at play.

2) There is only so much space on the label.  In this specific case, both 4th and 5th printings of TMNT #1 have extra content in them and CGC uses that space to let you know what that content is.  The 4th print has 5 pages of sketches/art added in while the 5th print has an 8-page story added in.  If I had to choose what to have on the label in later printings, I would take a description of the additional content over a re-hash of first appearances from earlier printings any day. 

Quick question - (I think it has been posted somewhere in this or the #1 thread, but can’t find) Help please:   

TMNT #1 (first printing) - 3,000

TMNT #1 (second printing) - 6,000

TMNT #1 (third printing) - 35,000

TMNT #1 (fourth printing) - 60,000   

TMNT #1 (fifth printing) - ?

TMNT #1 (sixth printing) - ?

12 hours ago, Icculus308win said:

Quick question - (I think it has been posted somewhere in this or the #1 thread, but can’t find) Help please:   

Actually, you're a little off on the 1st print.  It's 3,275 per Peter Laird:

http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/an-interesting-long-forgotten-fact.html

12 hours ago, Icculus308win said:

Those numbers are from the 1986 "Turtlemania" book.

https://www.miragelicensing.com/comics/mirage/turtlemania/turtlemania.html

5th and 6th printing didn't exist in 1986.

1 hour ago, Icculus308win said:

I did get that info from Mirage👍🏆

I recall that yes, there were more than the 3,000 always stated. 

Soooooo does anyone actually know print numbers for 5th & 6th printings or steer me in the direction to do so?

I’m fairly certain, as well as unable to find proof hm, that 6th printing was released in 2 formats with 2 different print numbers:

hardcover - signed and numbered and limited to 500

softcover (6th print) - limited to 1000

i have no idea about the 5th printing. And would also like to know....

Thank-you my man!! 🤘   

TMNT #1 (first printing) - 3,275

TMNT #1 (sixth printing)   - 1,000    

5th printing numbers anyone??

Edited by Icculus308win
Looks better?

Well I tried on an outside chance Mirage might have some info or lead. So I emailed Dan this am. 
He got right back to me with this:

4295BFEB-1EA6-4800-A56C-466DA5428DD6.thumb.png.3462458ba1dec98137eb42e7f268fa2e.png

So unfortunately a confirmed dead end that way. But so grateful for his quick and response. 
Anybody able get a hold of any of the original band members at Mirage that could recall?

9 minutes ago, Icculus308win said:

Well I tried on an outside chance Mirage might have some info or lead. So I emailed Dan this am. 
He got right back to me with this:

4295BFEB-1EA6-4800-A56C-466DA5428DD6.thumb.png.3462458ba1dec98137eb42e7f268fa2e.png

So unfortunately a confirmed dead end that way. But so grateful for his quick and response. 
Anybody able get a hold of any of the original band members at Mirage that could recall?

You can try emailing Steve Lavigne. 

On 10/22/2020 at 5:08 PM, Icculus308win said:

Thank-you my man!! 🤘   

TMNT #1 (first printing) - 3,275

TMNT #1 (sixth printing)   - 1,000    

5th printing numbers anyone??

I say if this isn't officially resolved we all make a blood pact and, with our great comic powers combined, we just make up a number and decree it to be the print run number. We will then destroy the temple - this tread - with it all evidence of our dark deed, and forever agree to never speak of this conspiracy. The world will have its answer; a number spawned from the abyss of our collective collectible collector minds!

If you take the above numbers, the average print run of all those we know is 21,055...sounds kind of like a legit number, eh, with 55 extra provided by the printers due to over printing ;) ? Give into your darkness, you know this is the only way - let us shape the fate of this issue! WHO'S WITH ME?!:D LIES FOR THE COMIC GODS!

image.png.6978003d7e71b736f7770b20bab6f0f1.png

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 10/22/2020 at 11:51 AM, Turtle said:

Actually, you're a little off on the 1st print.  It's 3,275 per Peter Laird:

http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/an-interesting-long-forgotten-fact.html

I trust this info, but I also noticed that 275 copies doesn't make a nice "round number" in any way, and it isn't an obvious percentage of 3,000...

However, if Peter has a note that there was an "extra box of 275 copies", then there could have been exactly one dozen boxes of 275 each, which would make 3,300 copies total and be exactly 10% over the 3,000 order.

34 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I trust this info, but I also noticed that 275 copies doesn't make a nice "round number" in any way, and it isn't an obvious percentage of 3,000...

However, if Peter has a note that there was an "extra box of 275 copies", then there could have been exactly one dozen boxes of 275 each, which would make 3,300 copies total and be exactly 10% over the 3,000 order.

Printing isn't always nice round numbers, the ordering and invoices are, but the actual run might vary - it very much could have been 300 copies extra, but a bunch were discarded due to very bad mis-cutting or other errors (ink smears, paper jam, and the printing house often keeps some copies on hand, throws out others, so easy to see 25 copies being discarded. 

So I haven't read it yet, but I'll be picking up my copy of Last Ronin #1 today.  It's been a while since I've been excited for a new comic release.  :whee:

Any guesses on who the last turtle standing is?  I highly doubt we'll get an answer until closer to the end of the run, but still fun to guess.

I'll call it now...my money is on Mikey.  

Anyone else?

5 hours ago, Turtle said:

So I haven't read it yet, but I'll be picking up my copy of Last Ronin #1 today.  It's been a while since I've been excited for a new comic release.  :whee:

Any guesses on who the last turtle standing is?  I highly doubt we'll get an answer until closer to the end of the run, but still fun to guess.

I'll call it now...my money is on Mikey.  

Anyone else?

I don’t get my first copy til Friday 🥺   
I’m totally excited and so envious!!
Mikey is a strong call🤘I’ll pick Ralph than👍