• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,273 posts in this topic

Guys I need some advice.  I have the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures 1 CGC 9.8 direct and newsstand version.  I’m contemplating on selling them.  I’ve noticed that the price has skyrocketed on eBay.  Anyone know why?  I’m worried I sell them and they continue to climb and I end up feeling like .  I’m a collector foremost.

I find it hard to believe you don’t know why they are valuable ? First app of Krang, Beebop Rocksteady and colour bandanas. It was undervalued key that took off. That’s it . Selling is totally your decision nobody knows the future on any comic . It’s def great time to make money on them if you paid little for these . 

17 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

I find it hard to believe you don’t know why they are valuable ? First app of Krang, Beebop Rocksteady and colour bandanas. It was undervalued key that took off. That’s it . Selling is totally your decision nobody knows the future on any comic . It’s def great time to make money on them if you paid little for these . 

It has shot up 200% in value in last little while.  Was wondering if anyone knew why?  The fact that your questioning my knowledge after me asking is strange in itself.  The colour bandanas is something I didn’t know however, so thank you for that part of your response.

2 hours ago, EN4CER said:

Guys I need some advice.  I have the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures 1 CGC 9.8 direct and newsstand version.  I’m contemplating on selling them.  I’ve noticed that the price has skyrocketed on eBay.  Anyone know why?  I’m worried I sell them and they continue to climb and I end up feeling like .  I’m a collector foremost.

If we knew the answer of when to sell and not to sell, I'd be a rich man.  I sold my Tesla stock too early twice now!:facepalm:

1 hour ago, EN4CER said:

It has shot up 200% in value in last little while.  Was wondering if anyone knew why?  The fact that your questioning my knowledge after me asking is strange in itself.  The colour bandanas is something I didn’t know however, so thank you for that part of your response.

I wasn’t questioning you . That book was overlooked for years and people didn’t know the significance because they were not being labeled on cgc correctly for years . Heck they didn’t even acknowledge there was Canadian price variant until recently . It’s a big book in turtle history and part of that important 1980s nostalgia. 

I just love finding early 80s TMNt mirage books . I have a little honey hole close to my home where I found that TMNT 1 fifth print raw for $ 40.00 Canadian it graded a 9.8. I went back today and scooped the remaining comics I felt were near mint or better and I’m happy I did. This entire lot cost me a whopping 120.00 Canadian . Happy!

5D9BC222-10C1-47BC-96FB-948BFA049FFD.jpeg

A48CF36E-74CD-44F3-B243-B0399041B308.jpeg

FD7C3DB2-A964-4890-92F6-0ABE2C96CDDC.jpeg

DC662E44-F793-410E-BE1F-CFDC98E0E23F.jpeg

E30795D5-E5B6-4BC3-8B84-44F9095D4478.jpeg

5 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

I just love finding early 80s TMNt mirage books . I have a little honey hole close to my home where I found that TMNT 1 fifth print raw for $ 40.00 Canadian it graded a 9.8. I went back today and scooped the remaining comics I felt were near mint or better and I’m happy I did. This entire lot cost me a whopping 120.00 Canadian . Happy!

5D9BC222-10C1-47BC-96FB-948BFA049FFD.jpeg

A48CF36E-74CD-44F3-B243-B0399041B308.jpeg

FD7C3DB2-A964-4890-92F6-0ABE2C96CDDC.jpeg

DC662E44-F793-410E-BE1F-CFDC98E0E23F.jpeg

E30795D5-E5B6-4BC3-8B84-44F9095D4478.jpeg

^^

Do the TMNT press well? I mean, the cover paper seems heavier/harder than "normal comics" DC/Marvel comics.  I also noticed that the spin on the books breaks color a lot when folded. Not to be confused with a condition issue but just a normal property of the paper.  I was concerned that pressing might actually break color on the covers?

9 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

That may be part of it, but it's not just this issue that has shot up in value in recent months.  A lot of 80's TMNT issues have increased significantly in value, many of them not keys or major milestones.  The reasons you mention aren't wrong, but it's not wholly correct to say that's the only reason when plenty of other issues have shot up in value as well.

I asked a similar question as to why the sudden price increase on TMNT books in general a couple of months ago.  No one could point to any single reason in particular.  It seems that fans of the franchise seem to have a little more money/interest than they used to. 

44 minutes ago, Turtle said:

That may be part of it, but it's not just this issue that has shot up in value in recent months.  A lot of 80's TMNT issues have increased significantly in value, many of them not keys or major milestones.  The reasons you mention aren't wrong, but it's not wholly correct to say that's the only reason when plenty of other issues have shot up in value as well.

I asked a similar question as to why the sudden price increase on TMNT books in general a couple of months ago.  No one could point to any single reason in particular.  It seems that fans of the franchise seem to have a little more money/interest than they used to. 

Issues that have shot up are high grade 9.8s and extremely low print run second prints . These have been overlooked for years unless a diehard turtle fan. People are noticing that the census numbers are staggering low for 9.8s and paying for beautiful raw books to try and score their own copies for less than what’s being offered out there . 

As for pressing these are the hardest books to do . They were thicker and heavier stock used so the results are not always there in a press . Spine dents are hard to get out etc. 

19 hours ago, EN4CER said:

I would sell whichever one I feel less attached to, keep the other one.

13 hours ago, TMNT said:

So I'm watching the Ravens Bills game and finally got around to finishing up a couple of Mega Bloks sets that I've been meaning to build for a while now. Made a few tweaks, and was actually able to combine them into a nice scene. 20210116_225159.thumb.jpg.a11416c29c5bfad49b9d84a5d2a0d10d.jpg

There's tons of cool details, like the Fugitoid wanted poster in the wall, but the coolest has got to be they came with fingernail size copies of TMNT 1 and Raphael! So for all you completionist out there... :insane:

20210116_230124.jpg

20210116_225222.jpg

20210116_224020.jpg

20210116_224107.jpg

20210116_230557.jpg

I see some 9.8s hiding in the background. Any of them for sale? 😀

42 minutes ago, Turtle said:

@Wolverinex

We finally got a chance to make a pizza from the TMNT cookbook you got me.  We made a breakfast pie this morning:

IMG_5736.thumb.jpg.328f0e063437effb6c9b8545642f9cfa.jpg

IMG_5737.thumb.jpg.715aea856e6820c18de9098eeb21b420.jpg

I kept expectations low going into it since I've never really cooked a pizza before, but it was shockingly good!  The kids demolished their slices too.  My wife doesn't eat bacon, so we made her a slice without it and she wishes we made another. 

Our first trial was a success.  I'll be sure to share any of the other weird ones we make going forward.  (thumbsu  Thanks again!

Yum! That looks delicious.  Looks like a pizza pie Michaelangelo would make. 

So glad you shared with us and your family enjoyed it.    Looking forward to your future culinary adventures.

25 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:
1 hour ago, Turtle said:

We finally got a chance to make a pizza from the TMNT cookbook you got me.  We made a breakfast pie this morning:

IMG_5736.thumb.jpg.328f0e063437effb6c9b8545642f9cfa.jpg

IMG_5737.thumb.jpg.715aea856e6820c18de9098eeb21b420.jpg

I kept expectations low going into it since I've never really cooked a pizza before, but it was shockingly good!  The kids demolished their slices too.  My wife doesn't eat bacon, so we made her a slice without it and she wishes we made another. 

Our first trial was a success.  I'll be sure to share any of the other weird ones we make going forward.  (thumbsu  Thanks again!

Expand  

Yum! That looks delicious.  Looks like a pizza pie Michaelangelo would make. 

So glad you shared with us and your family enjoyed it.    Looking forward to your future culinary adventures.

That's a great gift! Glad it inspired! 

If you would, :shy: could you tell us some of the other ingredients? Looks to be some egg? is that over medium well? surely that would be something perhaps yummy that I wouldn't think to try on my own lol 

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

If you would, :shy: could you tell us some of the other ingredients? Looks to be some egg? is that over medium well? surely that would be something perhaps yummy that I wouldn't think to try on my own lol 

This new boards edit function is getting in my way sometimes and I can't edit to ad to this post since I quoted but

You DID say "breakfast" pie, so the egg does make sense, along with bacon, pepper, salt. Just if you cooked it like "pizza", I was curious how the eggs turned out :shy: ?

if it was like runny or something else fun like that :) 

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't have the recipe but @Turtlemay be able to share it?

17 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

This new boards edit function is getting in my way sometimes and I can't edit to ad to this post since I quoted but

You DID say "breakfast" pie, so the egg does make sense, along with bacon, pepper, salt. Just if you cooked it like "pizza", I was curious how the eggs turned out :shy: ?

if it was like runny or something else fun like that :) 

The recipe called for sharp cheddar cheese, but I only had a shredded Mexican blend, so I used that.  Spread the cheese over the dough and then spread a quarter cup of heavy cream evenly over all the cheese.  Chop up 4 slices of crispy bacon and spread that over the cheese.  Crack 4 eggs over the pie and place them gently on the cheese.  My son broke 1 yolk, but got the rest on there intact.  Season with salt and pepper (I also added some onion powder).

After that, bake at 500 degrees for 10-15 minutes.  Once it's out, sprinkle with chives and/or parsley and cut it up.

I'd say the eggs were a bit runny.  I left it in the oven for probably 11 minutes.  I asked my son what he would change.  He said the crust was crispier than he'd like.  The color of the crust is what prompted me to pull it out at 11 minutes.  So if I do this one again, I'm going to probably put some foil around the crust to keep it from getting so crispy.  This should allow me to leave the pie in for a few more minutes to let the eggs firm up a bit more.  Two birds with one stone.  (thumbsu

44 minutes ago, Turtle said:

The recipe called for sharp cheddar cheese, but I only had a shredded Mexican blend, so I used that.  Spread the cheese over the dough and then spread a quarter cup of heavy cream evenly over all the cheese.  Chop up 4 slices of crispy bacon and spread that over the cheese.  Crack 4 eggs over the pie and place them gently on the cheese.  My son broke 1 yolk, but got the rest on there intact.  Season with salt and pepper (I also added some onion powder).

After that, bake at 500 degrees for 10-15 minutes.  Once it's out, sprinkle with chives and/or parsley and cut it up.

I'd say the eggs were a bit runny.  I left it in the oven for probably 11 minutes.  I asked my son what he would change.  He said the crust was crispier than he'd like.  The color of the crust is what prompted me to pull it out at 11 minutes.  So if I do this one again, I'm going to probably put some foil around the crust to keep it from getting so crispy.  This should allow me to leave the pie in for a few more minutes to let the eggs firm up a bit more.  Two birds with one stone.  (thumbsu

Sweet! Surely I won't make you share every recipe as thorough lol but I don't often eat eggs believe it or not, and there an easy favorite for me and that sounded good :) 

Awesome Glad Y'all Had fun!