• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,267 posts in this topic

Question.  the most recent sales on #4 first print 9.8 (1300 dollars) and #4 2nd print (1100 dollars) on HA would seem to suggest that the 2nd print might actually be more valuable than the first.   What's the story?   Outlier?   2nd print cover getting more attention for being the image on the NES game?  Scarcity?   any ideas?

15 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Question.  the most recent sales on #4 first print 9.8 (1300 dollars) and #4 2nd print (1100 dollars) on HA would seem to suggest that the 2nd print might actually be more valuable than the first.   What's the story?   Outlier?   2nd print cover getting more attention for being the image on the NES game?  Scarcity?   any ideas?

It's definitely the cover, in my opinion. It's one of my favorites for sure.

It’s a lot harder to find in high grade . Most turtle books as well know had thick stock paper cover and cheap inner paper . Those covers were unforgiving in showing defects . I think that auction result was low for second print imo . Under 10 copies graded universal blue label since 1988 so I’d say for value it’s def better of the two although I love both covers equally . 

I have to mention this but the second print also touches gamers for the nostalgia as well so that adds to interest on this book too. Here is a shot of both of mine ...

02FDB942-BA71-489B-A865-5B1F5AD45965.jpeg

AF54590A-7B90-4850-A41D-B51C9FBB5AA6.jpeg

8 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Sweet! Surely I won't make you share every recipe as thorough lol but I don't often eat eggs believe it or not, and there an easy favorite for me and that sounded good :) 

Awesome Glad Y'all Had fun! 

If only there were a cookbook out there to answer all your questions... :baiting::nyah:

Edited by TMNT

I do wonder how many NES Turtles fans/collectors actually know that it's also the 2nd print of TMNT #4... And then care enough about that info to drop serious coin on a graded copy?

Kind of like the ASM 300 promo

I have yet to find that in a movie case at the DVD store lol

I mean that seems like free money if your looking but I'm talking out my ear haha

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

17 minutes ago, TMNT said:

I do wonder how many NES Turtles fans/collectors actually know that it's also the 2nd print of TMNT #4... And then care enough about that info to drop serious coin on a graded copy?

I think people will pay for a copy in 9.8 regardless . It’s one of the best Turtle covers ever published easily . I don’t think video gamers would pay that money but what do I know . Few years ago I bought this comic for raw for around 80.00 Canadian and nobody game a damn ..... now it’s a diff story , the big question is will it last ? It doesn’t matter to me as I love the comic but it’s def a hot turtle market as we can see in almost all the early high grade books.

13 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Same with Nintendo power it's like charge a million.

Even at $300 for 9.8's I would have but that all day but not $2000  current asking prices. 

But yet it's a sellers market

Yup. I would love to get a graded sealed NES Turtles 1 game. I have a nice cib but slabbed one would be cool for the collection and display

33 minutes ago, TMNT said:

Yup. I would love to get a graded sealed NES Turtles 1 game. I have a nice cib but slabbed one would be cool for the collection and display

I kept my nes turtles from being a kid. Only one I saved. My brothers was ocarina of time zelda, still I'm the only one with the nostalgia.

Well I can't say definitely but only to say he's played it more than I have. I'd have to ask him how lol

I make that point because I like both equally but the turtles has a softer place in my heart if I had to choose.

It's the time to play that I miss the most, adulting can suck rgds haha :roflmao:

On 1/18/2021 at 5:21 PM, TMNT said:

Alot of people I've dealt with in getting my TMNT books, would love to get a 2nd print #4 in a 9.8, me included.

Besides a #1 that's the second book in the Mirage run I'd want in a 9.8.

Speaking of 9.8, if anyone has issues from the Mirage run in 9.8, send me a pm. 😎

On 1/18/2021 at 3:04 PM, Bronty said:

The cover is one thing, but scarcity is another.  For many years, the 1st prints of the 1st 4 issues have been available in a variety of grades but the regular-sized 2nd prints of issues 4-7 seemed to have a much smaller print run and were thus harder to find.  Raphael 2nd print falls into that same category.  It took me quite a while to find good copies of these.  In fact, I had the first 9.8's of the 2nd prints of Raphael, #4, #5, and #6 on the census.  The best I could find on the #7 2nd was a 9.6.  Because they were scarce, collector's bid pretty hard when others eventually came to market.  Add that to the current TMNT surge and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the 2nd print of #4 may possibly exceed the value of the 1st print at auction.  

In truth, the cover does help.  Dooney painting over Laird's layout with a heavy helping of nostalgia.  I'm sure there's a post on this forum from years ago that lists the original art to this cover as my personal be-all, end-all grail to own one day.  I fear this recent surge may push the price out of my league should it ever surface.  

On 1/18/2021 at 4:57 PM, Subby1938 said:

It’s a lot harder to find in high grade . Most turtle books as well know had thick stock paper cover and cheap inner paper . Those covers were unforgiving in showing defects . I think that auction result was low for second print imo . Under 10 copies graded universal blue label since 1988 so I’d say for value it’s def better of the two although I love both covers equally . 

02FDB942-BA71-489B-A865-5B1F5AD45965.jpeg

AF54590A-7B90-4850-A41D-B51C9FBB5AA6.jpeg

That’s cool. Made me think of this later cover. 

7F966EF5-1C12-475D-8134-0D2614597F2D.jpeg

3 hours ago, Turtle said:

The cover is one thing, but scarcity is another.  For many years, the 1st prints of the 1st 4 issues have been available in a variety of grades but the regular-sized 2nd prints of issues 4-7 seemed to have a much smaller print run and were thus harder to find.  Raphael 2nd print falls into that same category.  It took me quite a while to find good copies of these.  In fact, I had the first 9.8's of the 2nd prints of Raphael, #4, #5, and #6 on the census.  The best I could find on the #7 2nd was a 9.6.  Because they were scarce, collector's bid pretty hard when others eventually came to market.  Add that to the current TMNT surge and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the 2nd print of #4 may possibly exceed the value of the 1st print at auction.  

In truth, the cover does help.  Dooney painting over Laird's layout with a heavy helping of nostalgia.  I'm sure there's a post on this forum from years ago that lists the original art to this cover as my personal be-all, end-all grail to own one day.  I fear this recent surge may push the price out of my league should it ever surface.  

Thanks Stephan.   That helps.

I think the price on it would already be stupid :/ 

I've been hoping to acquire it for a long time too (although not at the desire level you're describing) but I'll think we will both have to settle for other things.:/