• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,273 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Love the cover to the #4 second print. The actual NES game was awful if I remember correctly.  The games got better when they started porting over the arcade versions.

That's when they got some combo/directional pad action, instead of just hitting A or B

I agree fun too. The original was clever as I was young enough to enjoy the puzzles, and some of the jumps were hard, still I'd farm for the weapon I enjoyed like kids do in games today lol 

I was a big kid and didn't even know it haha :shy::foryou: 

12 hours ago, Turtle said:

The cover is one thing, but scarcity is another.  For many years, the 1st prints of the 1st 4 issues have been available in a variety of grades but the regular-sized 2nd prints of issues 4-7 seemed to have a much smaller print run and were thus harder to find.  Raphael 2nd print falls into that same category.  It took me quite a while to find good copies of these.  In fact, I had the first 9.8's of the 2nd prints of Raphael, #4, #5, and #6 on the census.  The best I could find on the #7 2nd was a 9.6.  Because they were scarce, collector's bid pretty hard when others eventually came to market.  Add that to the current TMNT surge and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the 2nd print of #4 may possibly exceed the value of the 1st print at auction.  

In truth, the cover does help.  Dooney painting over Laird's layout with a heavy helping of nostalgia.  I'm sure there's a post on this forum from years ago that lists the original art to this cover as my personal be-all, end-all grail to own one day.  I fear this recent surge may push the price out of my league should it ever surface.  

Was the #5 2nd print a Sig Series or blue label?

On 1/19/2021 at 1:26 PM, BeardedBubba said:

Did you guys see the original poster for Portsmouth, NH Mini-Con that Shellback Artworks had for sale?  Man that thing is awesome.  It sold for $2,100.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3598002233614972&id=398162080265686

That is awesome! 🏆🤤

11 hours ago, Bronty said:

Thanks Stephan.   That helps.

I think the price on it would already be stupid :/ 

I've been hoping to acquire it for a long time too (although not at the desire level you're describing) but I'll think we will both have to settle for other things.:/

You're very welcome, but I'm not Stephan. 

I'm Adam.  Nice to meet you.  :foryou:

On 1/20/2021 at 9:17 AM, Turtle said:

In truth, the cover does help.  Dooney painting over Laird's layout with a heavy helping of nostalgia.  I'm sure there's a post on this forum from years ago that lists the original art to this cover as my personal be-all, end-all grail to own one day.  I fear this recent surge may push the price out of my league should it ever surface.  

I believe I heard somewhere that the OA for the #4 2nd print cover still resides in Mr. Laird's personal collection. I'm sure if it surfaced, it would hit some TMNT OA highs.

15 minutes ago, spracknetch23 said:

I believe I heard somewhere that the OA for the #4 2nd print cover still resides in Mr. Laird's personal collection. I'm sure if it surfaced, it would hit some TMNT OA highs.

Yes it does. Was gifted to him by Dooney. Pete doesnt sell art as is, no way hes selling a gift. So I'd say zero chance we ever see this come to light, unless through family estate way down the road. But I agree, itd do crazy well at auction. 

9 hours ago, Turtle said:

For years, I've wanted a "definitive commission" from Jim Lawson given how prolific he's been with the TMNT.  I finally bit the bullet and got one.  I asked him for a "collage" of characters and events from Volume 1.  He was able to get SO MUCH into that space.  He was great to work with.  If you're on the fence about getting a commission from him, do yourself a favor and take the plunge!

Volume 1 collage by Jim Lawson

That looks great. 

I'm really impressed with how easy he makes it to order commissions. All artists should make it that simple.

Now to decide what I want hm

21 hours ago, Turtle said:

For years, I've wanted a "definitive commission" from Jim Lawson given how prolific he's been with the TMNT.  I finally bit the bullet and got one.  I asked him for a "collage" of characters and events from Volume 1.  He was able to get SO MUCH into that space.  He was great to work with.  If you're on the fence about getting a commission from him, do yourself a favor and take the plunge!

Does it get any better? Congrats on the great piece. He always packs as much detail into the page as possible. The array of characters he used was incredible. I might have to get one too. Oh, and it was nice browsing your beautiful collection once again. You have so many turtlelicious goodies! 

22 hours ago, Turtle said:

Just curious, what is the dimensions of that?

Just mind boggling, it's not even a Newsstand and has a carpy picture!:roflmao:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-TURTLES-ADVENTURES-1-CGC-9-8-1ST-BEBOP-ROCK-STEADY-KRANG-/284153967855?nma=true&si=AEsjnnzEa%2Bc8m5CPsNh8m0qVDk4%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The last few that sold though the majority of the bids are from bidders with no or very low Feedback...  I just got the grade from the one I submitted to CGC.  It's a 9.8 WP BABY!!! eBay here I come!!!

13 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Just mind boggling, it's not even a Newsstand and has a carpy picture!:roflmao:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-TURTLES-ADVENTURES-1-CGC-9-8-1ST-BEBOP-ROCK-STEADY-KRANG-/284153967855?nma=true&si=AEsjnnzEa%2Bc8m5CPsNh8m0qVDk4%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The last few that sold though the majority of the bids are from bidders with no or very low Feedback...  I just got the grade from the one I submitted to CGC.  It's a 9.8 WP BABY!!! eBay here I come!!!

That’s crazy so what’s a Canadian price variant worth ? Then newstand on top of that . This book has exploded 

Anyone know the background on independent comic book sampler #2 that they would like to share?  Here is a link to a recent sale...Wondering if there is a new TMNT story or what is behind these prices for this book.  Def a cool cover...!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Independent-Comic-Book-Sampler-2-1988-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-BB408-/393059875623?hash=item5b8431bb27%3Ag%3APv8AAOSwoQZf257Q&nma=true&si=z%2FmBpfz5YdYhWuKYPvl9lN8tDHs%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557