• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,280 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, TMNT said:

New art day! Pumped to have a video game cover in the collection...painted on canvas like a true masterpiece!

Genesis.thumb.jpg.96f2f068bb96497d900d1cee17676226.jpg

And on the toy front, recently welcomed these two troublemakers into the collection as well.

20210226_181419.thumb.jpg.229716c6ef1d8e8eb2f13a407a819025.jpg

Wow!  That painting is so awesome!  Love it.  Didn't play the Sega game as much as the original NES game.  And I had those exact Bebop and Rocksteady action figures back in the day.  Great memories! 

Edited by DPV

7 hours ago, TMNT said:

New art day! Pumped to have a video game cover in the collection...painted on canvas like a true masterpiece!

And on the toy front, recently welcomed these two troublemakers into the collection as well.

Did you get it directly from Steve!?? I so wish I knew this had been available :( 

2 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

Did you get it directly from Steve!?? I so wish I knew this had been available :( 

Steve sold it a while back so it had already moved on from him.   Maybe 3-4 years ago is when Steve let it go.   

Edited by Bronty

11 hours ago, TMNT said:

Cmon!!!!!!!!! That is bananas. The Moc 85’s are sweet, but WOWZA on the Tournament Fighters piece.  If you are a genesis freak and of course turtle freak like myself, it doesn’t get much better!!! Congrats. The classic collection grows and grows!! 

18 hours ago, TMNT said:

Every time I visited Shellback back in the day I would always stop at that piece and admire it. Great acquisition. 

On 3/3/2021 at 11:59 AM, TMNT said:

That's an amazing piece! Congrats. 😎🙌

2 hours ago, GM8 said:

This is a new listing for the first four issues all 1st print 9.8's:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114715261934?ViewItem=&item=114715261934

only 1/2 a mil!

I dunno, this seems like bait to get you in the store. What do you guys think these should really go for? $120k? more? less?

57 minutes ago, pubmonkey said:

I dunno, this seems like bait to get you in the store. What do you guys think these should really go for? $120k? more? less?

I think you're on the mark there, maybe higher, judging from what recent 9.4's have gone for. We'll get an idea with the two 9.6's at auction over the next month. Generally, double the next lowest grade has been about right with the high grade 1st prints. The last two 9.4's went for ~36K and ~39K so that would put the 9.6's around 70-80K, and 1st prints I'd guess sell at auction (HA, CL & CC) in the $140-150 area. Don't hate (this means you Lou) it's just a formula and my opinion.

He said he’s been offered 200K . This guy is a bone head and liar . I’d never pay that money for this book because there are enough of them out there . The meteoric rise and mass dumping of first prints doesn’t look good and the book imo. Every week a new first printing is listed clearly owners are cashing in I can’t blame them . 

2 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

He said he’s been offered 200K . This guy is a bone head and liar . I’d never pay that money for this book because there are enough of them out there . The meteoric rise and mass dumping of first prints doesn’t look good and the book imo. Every week a new first printing is listed clearly owners are cashing in I can’t blame them . 

Agreed. If he was really offered that much and didn't take, that's dumb. He could've sold it and probably bought them all back from someone else for like 120k. Maybe less.

I would come in a little lower on the 1-4 lot as well. I think the 9.4's being 35-40, the 9.6's being between 55-70 (I think there's a large spectrum that a 9.6 could sell for, and we will find out soon with the upcoming auctions). There is also the 9.6 on ebay 75 obo, and I think he would take 70 all day if someone offered it. I think a 9.8 in this market would sell for 85-100. Could a crazy bidder at auction go 150 on it- possibly. Anything is possible in this current crazy market. I don't think it's likely though. A realistic max sale for a 9.8 alone would be around 125-135K, and that's imho (I've always wanted to say that). Although the turtle market is still hot, along with the whole comic and collectible market, the 1-4 lot should go for $125K, maybe a little more. I know the owner, and have dealt with him on several occasions. @Subby1938 Did he tell you he got offered 200K jokingly, in an ebay message, over the phone? I'm curious. If he indeed got offered that much, he's thinking the 9.8 is worth banana money. 

Even if you put the #1 at 100k or even 150K!!!!!!!, you're still at either $107K or $157K

2-4 are 7K

(#2 at 3500-4K, #3 at 2K #4 at 1,200)

So with this formula, you would have to keep increasing the 9.8 value from 100 to 120, then 140, then 160--- the insanity goes on lol 

It's always fun to crunch these numbers, especially on Turtle #1's. Like many of you, I've seen the book only continue to rise over the years. I've owned several copies, and always was able to trade or get incredible value from them. Who doesn't want a Turtles 1?? Really though, this book to me is always a winner, and I would not want to have a collection without it. If I had the money, I would have kept every copy I had. 

2 hours ago, Gazoony said:

Agreed. If he was really offered that much and didn't take, that's dumb. He could've sold it and probably bought them all back from someone else for like 120k. Maybe less.

Someone has a 9.8 on “make me an offer” on heritage for 94,000, he’ll if you offer $100,000 they’d probably jump 

This isn't easy for me to say. I sold my 9.6 #1 2nd print for 1,200 about three years ago. Then my 9.6 Raphael for 300 about two years ago. I also sold a 9.6 error with the Tales of tmnt cover instead for 850.00. Excuse me, I need a minute.:cry:

I was going to use the funds towards an 8.0 or maybe even a 9.0 1st print which were selling for about 6 to 8 thousand at the time but I spent it on mostly Silver age stuff. I just always thought there would be time, you know? Then someone pays 90k for a 9.8 and That's All Folks. Game Over. I remember watching that auction end and screaming , "You mainacs! You blew it up! "Damn you all to Hell".......or something of the sort.

Well I think I've finally gone through the 5 stages of grief. "Its just one freak auction, won't happen again. Heck the winner probably won't even pay for it". "I'm so angry!". "Maybe if I wait long enough the prices will come down". "I don't want to live anymore". And finally " Face it, you're an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. A big stupid insufficiently_thoughtful_person".

Oh, I guess you can't say insufficiently_thoughtful_person here. Rats.

So recently I decided to seek out some 9.6's that I like, mainly because of the cover art. About 6 books that haven't gone through the roof so much at this point. One of them I was looking at that I never really gave much notice to was the 4th printing of #1 from 1985. Different cover than the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd print. It even says Reprint on the cover, kinda like its ok with being what it is which is a pathetic miserable 4th printing. Its not trying to fool anyone. It wears its 4th printing label like armor.  I kind of respect that.

Only thing is on the CGC label it doesn't say "Origin and 1st app of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Splinter & Shredder". Why not? It's a reprint of the same story as the 1st printing isn't it? (isn't it?). If the 2nd and 3rd prints say it then why not the 4th? 

Btw started watching the 2012 animated version of TMNT's with my son during dinner tonight. Going to watch all 5 seasons in order instead of all mixed up like I've always done.

Edited by Professor Chaos

1 hour ago, Professor Chaos said:

This isn't easy for me to say. I sold my 9.6 #1 2nd print for 1,200 about three years ago. Then my 9.6 Raphael for 300 about two years ago. I also sold a 9.6 error with the Tales of tmnt cover instead for 850.00. Excuse me, I need a minute.

I was going to use the funds towards an 8.0 or maybe even a 9.0 1st print which were selling for about 6 to 8 thousand at the time but I spent it on mostly Silver age stuff. I just always thought there would be time, you know? Then someone pays 90k for a 9.8 and That's All Folks. Game Over. I remember watching that auction end and screaming , "You mainacs! You blew it up! "Damn you all to Hell".......or something of the sort.

Well I think I've finally gone through the 5 stages of grief. "Its just one freak auction, won't happen again. Heck the winner probably won't even pay for it". "I'm so angry!". "Maybe if I wait long enough the prices will come down". "I don't want to live anymore". And finally " Face it, you're an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. A big stupid insufficiently_thoughtful_person".

Oh, I guess you can't say insufficiently_thoughtful_person here. Rats.

So recently I decided to seek out some 9.6's that I like, mainly because of the cover art. About 6 books that haven't gone through the roof so much at this point. One of them I was looking at that I never really gave much notice to was the 4th printing of #1 from 1985. Different cover than the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd print. It even says Reprint on the cover, kinda like its ok with being what it is which is a pathetic miserable 4th printing. Its not trying to fool anyone. It wears its 4th printing label like armor.  I kind of respect that.

Only thing is on the CGC label it doesn't say "Origin and 1st app of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Splinter & Shredder". Why not? It's a reprint of the same story as the 1st printing isn't it? (isn't it?). If the 2nd and 3rd prints say it then why not the 4th? 

Btw started watching the 2012 animated version of TMNT's with my son during dinner tonight. Going to watch all 5 seasons in order instead of all mixed up like I've always done.

That sucks man. I'm kind of in the same boat, where I always wanted to buy the TMNT Mirage run in a high grade but always put it off. And then they started skyrocketing. 

I hope you got some cool Silver Age books though. Some of the silver keys are going crazy too.

3 hours ago, Gazoony said:

That sucks man. I'm kind of in the same boat, where I always wanted to buy the TMNT Mirage run in a high grade but always put it off. And then they started skyrocketing. 

I hope you got some cool Silver Age books though. Some of the silver keys are going crazy too.

Thanks. I'm trying to make light of it here but it does bother me to a point where I don't even like looking at them. It was like a 10,000 mistake. I should have at least kept the 9.6 2nd print. Oh well.

I really just came to ask why does anyone think the 4th printing doesn't note 1st app. of TMNT on the label but 2nd and 3rd printings do. Then I got all worked up (shrug)

And I'm sure whatever I bought with the money is worth double or triple now. 

I don't know if this has been posted yet but have you all seen this? The # 6 Gold Turtlemania is coming to Heritage

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/turtlemania-special-1-gold-edition-metropolis-comics-1986-cgc-qualified-nm-92-white-pages/p/7242-27001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515 

I predict 80 to 110K on it. 

Pretty rare stuff. Unless I dreamed this I think I recall 2 Gold Turtlemania's being sold on e bay about 7 or 8 years ago for like 1,000 each. I'm pretty sure that did happen. 

lf.jpg

lf (1).jpg

Edited by Professor Chaos