• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,267 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, SpideyFein said:

I would come in a little lower on the 1-4 lot as well. I think the 9.4's being 35-40, the 9.6's being between 55-70 (I think there's a large spectrum that a 9.6 could sell for, and we will find out soon with the upcoming auctions). There is also the 9.6 on ebay 75 obo, and I think he would take 70 all day if someone offered it. I think a 9.8 in this market would sell for 85-100. Could a crazy bidder at auction go 150 on it- possibly. Anything is possible in this current crazy market. I don't think it's likely though. A realistic max sale for a 9.8 alone would be around 125-135K, and that's imho (I've always wanted to say that). Although the turtle market is still hot, along with the whole comic and collectible market, the 1-4 lot should go for $125K, maybe a little more. I know the owner, and have dealt with him on several occasions. @Subby1938 Did he tell you he got offered 200K jokingly, in an ebay message, over the phone? I'm curious. If he indeed got offered that much, he's thinking the 9.8 is worth banana money. 

Even if you put the #1 at 100k or even 150K!!!!!!!, you're still at either $107K or $157K

2-4 are 7K

(#2 at 3500-4K, #3 at 2K #4 at 1,200)

So with this formula, you would have to keep increasing the 9.8 value from 100 to 120, then 140, then 160--- the insanity goes on lol 

It's always fun to crunch these numbers, especially on Turtle #1's. Like many of you, I've seen the book only continue to rise over the years. I've owned several copies, and always was able to trade or get incredible value from them. Who doesn't want a Turtles 1?? Really though, this book to me is always a winner, and I would not want to have a collection without it. If I had the money, I would have kept every copy I had. 

He was serious . I kinda was rude to him on his asking price and where the logic was there he responded stating he had been offered 200K. So why not take that outrageous amount ???

2 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

He was serious . I kinda was rude to him on his asking price and where the logic was there he responded stating he had been offered 200K. So why not take that outrageous amount ???

I assume it's just a matter of him not being super motivated to sell but if an absurd offer comes around then he'll go for it. To me the biggest shocker is anyone willing to sell a six figure comic through eBay. Too much risk for my tastes. Unless, perhaps, he's simply using ebay to market the books and is waiting for someone to reach out who is willing to literally hand him a bag of cash. 

Good question and I’m not sure. I looked up a couple other reprints of issue 1 like the 2009 FCBD reprint and it doesn’t say origin and first appearance. I also looked up the true believers amazing fantasy 15 and it doesn’t say anything like that for spider-man. Maybe they do it for the 2nd and 3rd prints because they were trying to meet demand of sell outs rather than just keeping the story in print? Or maybe it’s because those 3 are the valuable ones and then it drops off?

2 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I assume it's just a matter of him not being super motivated to sell but if an absurd offer comes around then he'll go for it. To me the biggest shocker is anyone willing to sell a six figure comic through eBay. Too much risk for my tastes. Unless, perhaps, he's simply using ebay to market the books and is waiting for someone to reach out who is willing to literally hand him a bag of cash. 

What’s to stop a  group of people  investing in that book . It’s happened before buy shares and allows seller to get bigger money. It may another strategy for him 

23 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Its not trying to fool anyone. It wears its 4th printing label like armor.  I kind of respect that.

Btw started watching the 2012 animated version of TMNT's with my son during dinner tonight. Going to watch all 5 seasons in order instead of all mixed up like I've always done.

You’re totally right about the 4th printing, thats awesome🤘

Enjoy the cartoon! 👍
My kids and I loved it!! 🥰

18 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Thanks. I'm trying to make light of it here but it does bother me to a point where I don't even like looking at them. It was like a 10,000 mistake. I should have at least kept the 9.6 2nd print. Oh well.

I really just came to ask why does anyone think the 4th printing doesn't note 1st app. of TMNT on the label but 2nd and 3rd printings do. Then I got all worked up (shrug)

And I'm sure whatever I bought with the money is worth double or triple now. 

I don't know if this has been posted yet but have you all seen this? The # 6 Gold Turtlemania is coming to Heritage

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/turtlemania-special-1-gold-edition-metropolis-comics-1986-cgc-qualified-nm-92-white-pages/p/7242-27001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515 

I predict 80 to 110K on it. 

Pretty rare stuff. Unless I dreamed this I think I recall 2 Gold Turtlemania's being sold on e bay about 7 or 8 years ago for like 1,000 each. I'm pretty sure that did happen. 

lf.jpg

lf (1).jpg

Yeah this rare book n unique copy could go big - or BIG

18 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Pretty rare stuff. Unless I dreamed this I think I recall 2 Gold Turtlemania's being sold on e bay about 7 or 8 years ago for like 1,000 each. I'm pretty sure that did happen. 

Yes, two Turtlemania Gold issues (#4 and #6 - the same one up on Heritage) sold for $450 each on eBay back in 2012.  This still haunts me - hard to even think about.  The stuff of my dreams.

https://tmnt-ninjaturtles.com/breaking-news-two-turtlemania-gold-editions-sell-for-450-each/

Edited by rich_TMNT

20 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

I couldn’t agree with you more- why not take that amount if he indeed got offered it.  He’s an interesting fellow, and knows his books. It also shows he’s surely not in a rush to sell. Even though there are many 9.8’s, no one could deny it’s a tough book. I only had the opportunity to buy one (at a decent price) in nearly 10 years. 13K!!! We all have our stories though. 

Turtlemania Golds for $450!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh. Now that is bananas!!!! 

1 hour ago, spracknetch23 said:

I remember that.. My cheap self would have most likely hesitated anyway had I run across them before they sold. 

Trust me, we’ve all been there lol  I was sharing a story with a guy the other day while continuously shaking my head! We must smile when thinking about them. At least we have some cool turtle goodies that we love in our collections. Did you ever finish getting the turtle iron ons? I know the set is so tough. 

2 hours ago, rich_TMNT said:

Yes, two Turtlemania Gold issues (#4 and #6 - the same one up on Heritage) sold for $450 each on eBay back in 2012.  This still haunts me - hard to even think about.  The stuff of my dreams.

https://tmnt-ninjaturtles.com/breaking-news-two-turtlemania-gold-editions-sell-for-450-each/

3 hours ago, Icculus308win said:

Yeah this rare book n unique copy could go big - or BIG

Oh yeah, It's a gonna go big. Even though its not part of the original run I think I'd pay 50K for a Gold Turtlemania before I would a 1st print 9.8. 

2 hours ago, rich_TMNT said:

Ok so it did happen. It was one of those things that was so surreal at the time that years later I thought I may have been remembering a dream I had.

450.00 each, how the heck do you suppose that happened?  How could somebody be in possesion of two of them and not know what they have? Even at the time if I recall they could have sold for at least 5k each. I wonder how long the listing were active before they got snatched up. Couldn't have been more than a couple of minutes. Thanks for posting that old article, I couldn't find it. 

5 hours ago, SpideyFein said:

Trust me, we’ve all been there lol  I was sharing a story with a guy the other day while continuously shaking my head! We must smile when thinking about them. At least we have some cool turtle goodies that we love in our collections. Did you ever finish getting the turtle iron ons? I know the set is so tough. 

For sure, I have so many similar stories, then I have opposite stories of jumping on deals at a great time. It all works out in the end. 

As for the iron-ons, nope, I’m still looking for the final two to complete my set. Been looking since 2017, and neither of the two has shown up to market. One day! It’s really so rare that any of them show up on the market.

So a little extra on those Golds from back in the day...

Those 2 were BINs that were snapped up instantly by the same buyer ( a member here actually). I remember it was on a weekend in the morning. The seller accidentally relisted one of them shortly after...which I hit the BIN on not even knowing about the previous 2 BINs. Woohoo I won! Umm, not quite...so about a half hour later I get a phone call from the seller (ebay used to allow that sort of thing back in the day) explaining what she did and that she would be refunding. 

At that time, I actually already owned a separate Gold so no huge deal but would have been cool.

13 hours ago, rich_TMNT said:

somewhere about 180 pages back the boardie who bought those 2 copies announces he just made the purchase. I can't remember exactly where in the thread but it's there. I think about it often...

20 hours ago, TMNT said:

So a little extra on those Golds from back in the day...

Those 2 were BINs that were snapped up instantly by the same buyer ( a member here actually). I remember it was on a weekend in the morning. The seller accidentally relisted one of them shortly after...which I hit the BIN on not even knowing about the previous 2 BINs. Woohoo I won! Umm, not quite...so about a half hour later I get a phone call from the seller (ebay used to allow that sort of thing back in the day) explaining what she did and that she would be refunding. 

At that time, I actually already owned a separate Gold so no huge deal but would have been cool.

Oh wow. That must have been disappointing. You owned a Gold? Cool, which one if you don't mind? I guess you sold it by now? Sorry for all the questions it's just so rare and I find it interesting. how did you even acquire it in the first place?  

On 3/10/2021 at 8:10 AM, spracknetch23 said:

For sure, I have so many similar stories, then I have opposite stories of jumping on deals at a great time. It all works out in the end. 

As for the iron-ons, nope, I’m still looking for the final two to complete my set. Been looking since 2017, and neither of the two has shown up to market. One day! It’s really so rare that any of them show up on the market.

They literally don't show up ever. It's wild. I believe you'll finish the set though!!!!!! It will happen!!!

Yes, it always works out in the end. If it hasn't, it's not the end! 

A new piece of art to add to the collection.  This one is a little bit different as it's licensing art instead of comic art.  As such, you've maybe seen this before on T-shirts or other TMNT merchandise.  I was happy to branch out a little and pick this up.  Pencils by Steve Lavinge, inks by Ryan Brown:

TMNT Licensing Art

I decided to watermark this one.  I'm not sure why, but I felt like if any piece I'm displaying is going to be downloaded, enhanced, and used for shady sales purposes, it would be this one. 

19 hours ago, SpideyFein said:

They literally don't show up ever. It's wild. I believe you'll finish the set though!!!!!! It will happen!!!

Yes, it always works out in the end. If it hasn't, it's not the end! 

Maybe a couple of iron-ons a year pop up on eBay, and lately it’s ones I’ve seen sell before. I’m glad they don’t have the demand of Turtlemania Gold or Gobbledygook or they’d be way out of my reach. Thanks for your positive encouragement!