• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,277 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Turtle said:

A new piece of art to add to the collection.  This one is a little bit different as it's licensing art instead of comic art.  As such, you've maybe seen this before on T-shirts or other TMNT merchandise.  I was happy to branch out a little and pick this up.  Pencils by Steve Lavinge, inks by Ryan Brown:

TMNT Licensing Art

I decided to watermark this one.  I'm not sure why, but I felt like if any piece I'm displaying is going to be downloaded, enhanced, and used for shady sales purposes, it would be this one. 

That may be the most iconic piece of TMNT licensing art in existence. Awesome. Congrats!

9 hours ago, Turtle said:

A new piece of art to add to the collection.  This one is a little bit different as it's licensing art instead of comic art.  As such, you've maybe seen this before on T-shirts or other TMNT merchandise.  I was happy to branch out a little and pick this up.  Pencils by Steve Lavinge, inks by Ryan Brown:

TMNT Licensing Art

I decided to watermark this one.  I'm not sure why, but I felt like if any piece I'm displaying is going to be downloaded, enhanced, and used for shady sales purposes, it would be this one. 

So you’re who I was bidding against.... congratulations you got an amazing piece!

10 hours ago, Turtle said:

TMNT Licensing Art

How freaking cool is this?! Gotta get me one of these licensing pieces one day. Super congrats! 

12 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

So you’re who I was bidding against.... congratulations you got an amazing piece!

Thanks!

I had seen the two that Steve offered in previous months and I didn't go as hard for them.  Once they were gone, I decided I'd like to get one as these licensing images are definitely some of the most iconic of the TMNT and were definitely burned into my brain at a young age. 

Before everything shut down, I was doing a lot of my framing through A.C. Moore.  Now I'm pretty sure they're all gone.  I need to find a new place to get framing done. 

28 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

There is a 9.6 tmnt 1 on heritage up to 48,000 with 19 days to go. Not a 9.8, a 9.6. Something isn't right about this. I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time believing this is possible.

Which part? Price, or all the front loaded bidding?

1 hour ago, Professor Chaos said:

There is a 9.6 tmnt 1 on heritage up to 48,000 with 19 days to go. Not a 9.8, a 9.6. Something isn't right about this. I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time believing this is possible.

I personally think the 9.6 will go well over 60k. 

41 minutes ago, Hulksdaddy1 said:

Which part? Price, or all the front loaded bidding?

Hi, both but mostly the price. 48 thousand dollars? I have a habit of thinking too much and I'm thinking that if I wanted this particular book would I bid the same for it with 19 days left to go that the past few 9.8's have sold for or would I wait for it the final moments and bid like a madman? It defies all logic. And this kind of money is serious to be tossing around so care free.Pretty much any heavy early bidding defies logic but this is the most extreme example I've ever seen. Basically something being bid up to double the amount of the last sale in the first 2 days of a long auction should seem fishy because it is fishy

7 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Seems that way right? double the previous sale. Its only 60,000. Mere bag of shells to most comic collectors.

sounds about right. I personally think it will go for more than 60k, more like 70k. It's the first high grade (9.6/9.8) copy that's been available since the market went nuts and for some time before that too. If this sells well we will see more come to market.

7 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Hi, both but mostly the price. 48 thousand dollars? I have a habit of thinking too much and I'm thinking that if I wanted this particular book would I bid the same for it with 19 days left to go that the past few 9.8's have sold for or would I wait for it the final moments and bid like a madman? It defies all logic. And this kind of money is serious to be tossing around so care free.Pretty much any heavy early bidding defies logic but this is the most extreme example I've ever seen. Basically something being bid up to double the amount of the last sale in the first 2 days of a long auction should seem fishy because it is fishy

The only thing I'm confused about is the early bidding to that amount. Seems weird.

As for the price, not surprised at all. Last 9.4 went for just shy of $39k. the last 9.8 went for $90k a year and a half ago, which is like 10 years in the current market. This book shoulld get to $60k, and if another 9.8 hits the market, I'd guess $115-120k.

3 hours ago, Hulksdaddy1 said:

The only thing I'm confused about is the early bidding to that amount. Seems weird.

As for the price, not surprised at all. Last 9.4 went for just shy of $39k. the last 9.8 went for $90k a year and a half ago, which is like 10 years in the current market. This book shoulld get to $60k, and if another 9.8 hits the market, I'd guess $115-120k.

Hi Hulksdaddy, Actually the past four #1 9.8 sales have been in order of most recent- 59k, 52, 50, 90. But yes youre right these sales were in 2019/20. This means the latest 9.6 has been bid up to nearly the price of the previous 9.8 from a year before in a couple of days. 

I do see that the two most recent 9.4 sales have been 36K (I didn't see a 39k but I believe you). The previous actual auction sale I found of a 9.6 was 18K one year ago. Boy did he get a deal!!!

Well it seems I'm in the minority around here (by minority I mean the only person) by feeling this double, triple, and quadrupling of prices all over the comic realm in the span of a year is not a good thing. I see books going up 25% or more with each auction.  I know none of you have actually said that its good and are just predicting based on recent/current sales patterns, but the vibe I'm getting is that most people think its a good thing. 

Many see it as "Great the value of my collection has gone way up", which is understandable. But it can also be seen as either the comic realm has been infiltrated by investors with seemingly unlimited funds who's extreme biiding is basically manipulating prices, and/or everybody and their brother is buying comics and bidding like there's no tomorrow. Two bad things in my opinion.

Ok, sorry to be a Debbie Downer about this. I'll leave that stuff alone now and stick to liking other people tmnt stuff here.

Edited by Professor Chaos

2 hours ago, comiconxion said:

Heritage has a nice selection of Turtles #1's this time across all grades - a 9.6, 9.2, 9.0 and 8.5 1st Prints as well as a Double-Cover #1 9.6 (Both Covers) 2nd Print - so it should give a pretty complete picture of where this book is at the moment.  

Yep. And comicconnect's next auction has a bunch too, including a #3 variant 9.8 https://www.comicconnect.com/item/901554

2 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Hi Hulksdaddy, Actually the past four #1 9.8 sales have been in order of most recent- 59k, 52, 50, 90. But yes youre right these sales were in 2019/20. This means the latest 9.6 has been bid up to nearly the price of the previous 9.8 from a year before in a couple of days. 

I do see that the two most recent 9.4 sales have been 36K (I didn't see a 39k but I believe you). The previous actual auction sale I found of a 9.6 was 18K one year ago. Boy did he get a deal!!!

Well it seems I'm in the minority around here (by minority I mean the only person) by feeling this double, triple, and quadrupling of prices all over the comic realm in the span of a year is not a good thing. I see books going up 25% or more with each auction.  I know none of you have actually said that its good and are just predicting based on recent/current sales patterns, but the vibe I'm getting is that most people think its a good thing. 

Many see it as "Great the value of my collection has gone way up", which is understandable. But it can also be seen as either the comic realm has been infiltrated by investors with seemingly unlimited funds who's extreme biiding is basically manipulating prices, and/or everybody and their brother is buying comics and bidding like there's no tomorrow. Two bad things in my opinion.

Ok, sorry to be a Debbie Downer about this. I'll leave that stuff alone now and stick to liking other people tmnt stuff here.

Feels great for sellers. 

Sucks for buyers, likely forever at those nutz-o prices.

Worrisome if you don't have skin in the game.  They will always be desired and carry value, but some could lose a lot if they drop significantly.

Patrick 

5 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Yep. And comicconnect's next auction has a bunch too, including a #3 variant 9.8 https://www.comicconnect.com/item/901554

Heritage has another #3 variant 9.8 yellow label:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-3-variant-cover-signature-series-mirage-studios-1985-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7242-92159.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

This is getting interesting...

3 hours ago, pubmonkey said:

Oh-My-Groin. Its the only one on the census. And my sources (gocollect) tell me it sold on e bay in a fixed price sale of 10 G's in January. Seems like whoever bought it probably planned on flipping it. What an exciting time we live in. A few 9.8's and 9.6's of 1,2,and 3 on two major auction sites, a #3 variant 9.8 and a #3 variant 9.8 SS , and if that wasn't enough a Gold Turtlemania. Wow! 

P.S. Where do they get their pizza from?