• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,280 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Icculus308win said:

That $90K sale was BIG outlier. 
Still not sure how or why it got so big. Quite interestingly unique

As I said prior -

955C3173-95BC-4B2D-9CD7-F1A83164897C.gif.5703610c178c3637c32925d173f52a9f.gif

I think that might be right at the start of what's happening now. Look at prices across the board. A NM98 9.8 is now a $2700-2800 book. :whatthe:

But, 9.8 is most likely the highest you'll get with TMNT1, so I don't think $115-120k is crazy for it, especially as the generation that grew up with the Turtles are now in their prime $$ making years.

Change is the only constant

1 hour ago, Icculus308win said:

As I said prior -

If I understand the word Outlier correctly it was an outlier. The same exact book that supposedly sold for 90K was sold on Comiclink a few months later for 59K. The other two 9.8's that were sold after went for 50 and 52K. Those are just the facts, I'm not alluding to anything.  

It will be interesting and fun to see what the current assortment of 9.8's will end at. Very high I assume.

56 minutes ago, Hulksdaddy1 said:

I think that might be right at the start of what's happening now. Look at prices across the board. A NM98 9.8 is now a $2700-2800 book. :whatthe:

But, 9.8 is most likely the highest you'll get with TMNT1, so I don't think $115-120k is crazy for it, especially as the generation that grew up with the Turtles are now in their prime $$ making years.

Change is the only constant

That would be nice to think the people bidding #1's into the stratosphere are just old fans who have done well financially. It could be and I hope it is. I think its more likely the ones bidding 9.8's and 9'6's up so high are just investors looking to make some easy money. No way to know for sure.

8 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

That would be nice to think the people bidding #1's into the stratosphere are just old fans who have done well financially. It could be and I hope it is. I think its more likely the ones bidding 9.8's and 9'6's up so high are just investors looking to make some easy money. No way to know for sure.

Probably a bit of both

2 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Today’s comix buyers of these high tier books are investors no doubt looking to park cash in collectables . This market has turned upside down in its head and prices are just steam rolling upwards. No kids today or average worker can pay these premiums . 

ASM 238,298-301,316

TMNT 1s 

Albedo 2s

X Books 

the list goes on and in top grade you’re priced out it’s that simple 

2 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Today’s comix buyers of these high tier books are investors no doubt looking to park cash in collectables . This market has turned upside down in its head and prices are just steam rolling upwards. No kids today or average worker can pay these premiums . 

ASM 238,298-301,316

TMNT 1s 

Albedo 2s

X Books 

The advent of fractional investing companies that allow someone to own a share of these gold standard books will likely continue to drive up the prices on the keys for years to come.  I always predicted that Turtles #1 would be the AF #15 of the previous generation.  You'll continue to see that for the Silver Age Marvel keys as well with the continued tie-ins to the MCU for generations to come.  

15 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

ASM 238,298-301,316

TMNT 1s 

Albedo 2s

X Books 

Yup,  same thing happened to Cerebus 1. All copies completely wiped off the market a few months ago.  9.4 sold for 29k. Whatever shows up in the next few months will command a huge premium.  

Edited by Wolverinex

5 hours ago, GM8 said:

The #1-4 lot on Ebay has been discounted to listing watchers 10% to $450,000. Add your ebay bucks to that and you can get it for $449,998.37. :wink:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-TURTLES-1-2-3-4-9-8-CGC-First-Print-WHITE-1984-TMNT/114715261934?hash=item1ab58ffbee:g:W8YAAOSwn6FgQr4a

😂

23 hours ago, Icculus308win said:

As I said prior -

Well I wish when I sold it (Yes that 90K was my book)  I got 90K instead of the 17K I got for it.  That was my book and I had it for sale on the CGC boards for around what I sold it for, and no takers.  

47 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Well I wish when I sold it (Yes that 90K was my book)  I got 90K instead of the 17K I got for it.  That was my book and I had it for sale on the CGC boards for around what I sold it for, and no takers.  

Hey, Hi. I'm glad you said said that. Thank you for being open about it.  At one point you owned that 90K heritage book and sold it for 17K? That must have been prior to 2012. Sorry to hear that. I sold a 2nd print 9.6 for I think 1,500 just a few years ago now its like 10K or thereabout. Still kicking myself over that. What I'm getting at is do you have any idea why the same book that sold for 90k on heritage in August 2019 was turned around and sold for 59k on comicconnect 8 months later? After taxes coming and going and fees that's like a loss of 50,000. This has me baffled. Are you sure the book actually did sell for 90k? 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7211-91091.s

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/877988?tzf=1

3 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

Hey, Hi. I'm glad you said said that. Thank you for being open about it.  At one point you owned that 90K heritage book and sold it for 17K? That must have been prior to 2012. Sorry to hear that. I sold a 2nd print 9.6 for I think 1,500 just a few years ago now its like 10K or thereabout. Still kicking myself over that. What I'm getting at is do you have any idea why the same book that sold for 90k on heritage in August 2019 was turned around and sold for 59k on comicconnect 8 months later? After taxes coming and going and fees that's like a loss of 50,000. This has me baffled. Are you sure the book actually did sell for 90k? 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7211-91091.s

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/877988?tzf=1

I am assuming it was a legit sale, just going on what Heritage and GPA said happened.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

That is awesome to hear/know it was legit. THANK-YOU so much. 

Hi icculus, I don't think that shows whether it was legit or not. Or more precisely if the 90k sale actually went through. I believe he said he sold the same 9.8 for 17K some years earlier. 

I would believe it did, but the fact that is was sold again within a year for what actually amounts to about a 60,000 dollar loss makes me really question it. Why would anyone do that unless they needed bail money or something?

Edited by Professor Chaos

That is awesome to hear/know it was legit. THANK-YOU so much. 

No it was not awesome for me.  Thank you for reminding me of how much I hate TMNT.  If I was super rich I would buy all the 1st prints and burn them all on youtube.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Here is that 90k TMNT #1 raw and the other is the raw 9.6 that if some of you remember was a decent trade thread when it happened back in 2014.  Only reason the 9.6 did not get a 9.8 because it has a slight cover fade.

IMG_0093.jpg.47d47c3e8651b4767ecea5adc105aee8.jpg

Edited by NewWorldOrder

The TMNT #1 CGC 9.6 was traded straight up for the below Old Label AF 15 CGC 4.0 OWW.  At the time it was a loop-sided trade (on book value not in terms of what Valiant Man had into his AF 15) in my favor, but the last couple years TMNT #1 has caught up, especially during covid.  However, AF 15's are now seeming to get the covid pump as I am calling this wacky hedge fund collectibles market. 

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

Edited by NewWorldOrder