• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,291 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I spent years thinking I screwed up big time on that trade.  I've only been on the correct side of the trade for a short while, and may end up on the wrong side again. :hi:

Haha nah.  You told me what you had into the book.  Honestly TMNT #1 caught up so much either way the gap narrowed to a more even trade.   I like that we both still have the each book!  ^^

Technically I am the big loser.  I only got 17k for my 9.8 and same copy sold for 90K.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

2 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Hi icculus, I don't think that shows whether it was legit or not. Or more precisely if the 90k sale actually went through. I believe he said he sold the same 9.8 for 17K some years earlier. 

I would believe it did, but the fact that is was sold again within a year for what actually amounts to about a 60,000 dollar loss makes me really question it. Why would anyone do that unless they needed bail money or something?

The 9.8 90K sale is legit. I talked to Ed Jaster, the head of Heritage collectibles about it. He said the person who bought it resold it for the 59K on comic connect (where it was purchased by the Rallyrd group).

Edited by GM8

1 hour ago, NewWorldOrder said:

I like that we both still have the each book!  ^^

Did you ever get it re-graded?  It's a first year (2000) label... that argument about "harsher grading" and "no pressing/work done" was always something that intrigued me.

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/0000105003/

Edited by valiantman

56 minutes ago, GM8 said:

The 9.8 90K sale is legit. I talked to Ed Jaster, the head of Heritage collectibles about it. He said the person who bought it resold it for the 59K on comic connect (where it was purchased by the Rallyrd group).

Cool thanks. I'm not doubting you info, I'm just really having a hard time understanding how someone could pay 99K (tax included) for a book then turn around and sell it outright for 59,000 (which is really 50k after fees ect). They didn't even try to auction it and hope for another 90k (or better) finish. Maybe they went bankrupt or owed the i r s, or were gonna lose their home and needed quick money,  who knows. And sold to an investment group specializing in selling shares of collectibles 8 months later..........now I'm even more suspicious of the darn thing. Thanks for telling me that though, appreciated. I better stop digging, this could get dangerous. 

6 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

Cool thanks. I'm not doubting you info, I'm just really having a hard time understanding how someone could pay 99K (tax included) for a book then turn around and sell it outright for 59,000 (which is really 50k after fees ect). They didn't even try to auction it and hope for another 90k (or better) finish. Maybe they went bankrupt or owed the i r s, or were gonna lose their home and needed quick money,  who knows. And sold to an investment group specializing in selling shares of collectibles 8 months later..........now I'm even more suspicious of the darn thing. Thanks for telling me that though, appreciated. I better stop digging, this could get dangerous. 

Saudi Prince who has a billions dollars and wanted it right then and there? (shrug)

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Did you ever get it re-graded?  It's a first year (2000) label... that argument about "harsher grading" and "no pressing/work done" was always something that intrigued me.

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/0000105003/

Nope, personally I think it's 4.0 and graded correctly the first time.  Maybe a 4.5, but def not a 5.0.  

Like most of us I think its best to buy what you like and enjoy more than "speculation" aspect. Having said that, what do you guys/gals think is best to buy - a 9.6 1st print #2 or a 9.4, 9.6 3rd print #1? I remember not long ago when 3rd printings were considered near worthless and something to avoid but its a different time now I suppose. 

And while I'm asking questions here's another. I think its safe to assume 1st and 2nd printing 9.8 #1's aren't coming down any time soon or probably ever, but what about 3rd printing 9.8's? The few that sold in 2020 went for around 1,500. The last one to sell in an auction sold for 3,360 in December. Since then there have been four e bay buy it nows of  - 4750, 4450, 3700, 4600. Do you think it will stay around that price, go up ,or sink like a stone? 

Edited by Professor Chaos

1 hour ago, Professor Chaos said:

Like most of us I think its best to buy what you like and enjoy more than "speculation" aspect. Having said that, what do you guys/gals think is best to buy - a 9.6 1st print #2 or a 9.4, 9.6 3rd print #1? I remember not long ago when 3rd printings were considered near worthless and something to avoid but its a different time now I suppose. 

And while I'm asking questions here's another. I think its safe to assume 1st and 2nd printing 9.8 #1's aren't coming down any time soon or probably ever, but what about 3rd printing 9.8's? The few that sold in 2020 went for around 1,500. The last one to sell in an auction sold for 3,360 in December. Since then there have been four e bay buy it nows of  - 4750, 4450, 3700, 4600. Do you think it will stay around that price, go up ,or sink like a stone? 

If I didn't have any TMNT books of the original magazine size I would get the #1 3rd print highest grade I could afford (of those choices). For investment purposes I would get the #2 1st print as it had a lower print run, 15,000 versus the #1 3rd print which had 35,000.

Now if you're talking 9.8 3rd prints, they will have the most room to fall if they do because of the print runs. When there is a correction, and there will be, they will come down the most. The ebay BIN prices are usually wishful thinking but I bet one of those sellers would entertain a lower offer.

2 hours ago, GM8 said:

If I didn't have any TMNT books of the original magazine size I would get the #1 3rd print highest grade I could afford (of those choices). For investment purposes I would get the #2 1st print as it had a lower print run, 15,000 versus the #1 3rd print which had 35,000.

Now if you're talking 9.8 3rd prints, they will have the most room to fall if they do because of the print runs. When there is a correction, and there will be, they will come down the most. The ebay BIN prices are usually wishful thinking but I bet one of those sellers would entertain a lower offer.

That all makes good sense. The 1st print #2 would have the best chance long term as far as %-wise increase in value. 

When you say "correction" I believe you mean a drop in prices realized. So you do think that will happen? If so I'm glad to hear it (even though it will decrease the value of my collection). Now that I think about it, if one main reason for the boom is because there are many new collectors then there is a good chance a good amount of them will grow bored and eventually sell what they bought during the boom. At least I hope so. 

I sold my 9.6 #1 2nd print two or three years ago and that's gone forever now, but I was thinking of getting a 9.6 or 9.8 of one of those I mentioned. Thanks for your advice.

8 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

...what about 3rd printing 9.8's? The few that sold in 2020 went for around 1,500. The last one to sell in an auction sold for 3,360 in December. Since then there have been four e bay buy it nows of  - 4750, 4450, 3700, 4600. Do you think it will stay around that price, go up ,or sink like a stone? 

I doubt there will be any sinking like a stone for these comics. The fact that only a few 9.8's have surfaced recently shows there is a demand for these books and those who have them are holding them close. Remember these books are now 36-37 years old, are much scarcer than the mainstream books of the time, and everyone and their grandmother (except Lou_fine) wants one.

26 minutes ago, Hulksdaddy1 said:

This just walked through my door...

IMG_7753.JPG

Nice! I want get one in that same grade as well. And also a 5th print. Just to have 2nd - 5th in 9.6 condition.