• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,280 posts in this topic

Does anyone know for getting the larger sized early TMNT, in particular #3, #4, and Raphael do I need to submit these as Magazines or Comics?  From what I recall when slabbing a #1 years ago I was told I had to do it as a magazine.

5 hours ago, Parabellum said:

The thing about the #3 NYCC variant is that it’s only sought after by TMNT fans.  The mainstream market is focused on the first three printings of number #1, Raphael #1 TMNT adventures 1988 #1 and issue #2.  Those are the key books that have major first appearances where is #3 does not.  But that’s just my opinion.

This is very true. The variant of #3 has always been on my radar and I couldn't find one pre-internet. For the TMNT fan it is the must have #3 as there are only 500 of them. Overstreet's, back in the day, had it listed as the NYCC variant and I always wanted to get my hands on one. I don't think the general population of comic collectors care so much even though this is the 'Variant Age'.

2 hours ago, pubmonkey said:

This is very true. The variant of #3 has always been on my radar and I couldn't find one pre-internet. For the TMNT fan it is the must have #3 as there are only 500 of them. Overstreet's, back in the day, had it listed as the NYCC variant and I always wanted to get my hands on one. I don't think the general population of comic collectors care so much even though this is the 'Variant Age'.

Well said.  That makes sense to me.  I'm new to this, but definitely fall in the fan category more than collector.  Thanks to you both for the insight!

Edited by DPV

On 4/4/2021 at 4:21 AM, Racerboy1 said:

I actually bought it from the seller for 2850. He was initially asking 8500 for it. But he needed the money and dropped the price. Then in 2019 prior to the cgc awards the same individual wanted to purchase it from me for 25k, it would have elevated them into first place. But I have a good relationship with Icculus so I couldn’t let him lose his top spot. 

I just recently sold it for 8500 on eBay. I had a feeling it would go up on HA. Bad timing to move the book and the seller lost 1k. But that’s the game some play. 

I was working with the same seller Dec 2016 for that book.  I offered $3k and he turned me down.  Funny how he ended up selling it for less than I offered.  Same seller had a 9.6 first print for sale as well if I remember correctly.

23 hours ago, Parabellum said:

I was working with the same seller Dec 2016 for that book.  I offered $3k and he turned me down.  Funny how he ended up selling it for less than I offered.  Same seller had a 9.6 first print for sale as well if I remember correctly.

I believe that is correct. He always seems to get his hands on some of the best books. I had no idea that I had the only number 16 cgc 9.8 on the census which I purchased from the same seller. It wasn’t until icculus308win pointed it out to me. 

11 minutes ago, Racerboy1 said:

I believe that is correct. He always seems to get his hands on some of the best books. I had no idea that I had the only number 16 cgc 9.8 on the census which I purchased from the same seller. It wasn’t until icculus308win pointed it out to me. 

Casterano is his EBay name if my memory serves me correctly.  

11 hours ago, Racerboy1 said:

I had no idea that I had the only number 16 cgc 9.8 on the census...

It can take forever to look up books one-at-a-time on the CGC census.  Try this instead:

(sorted by date)

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/title/:Teenage:Mutant:/label/all/orderby/year/variants/yes/

(sorted alphabetically)

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/title/:Teenage:Mutant:/label/all/orderby/alpha/variants/yes/

Edited by valiantman

I sent in a submission of mostly TMNT books for normal grading and CGC refused the package citing damage to the box.  Now I’m waiting in limbo, hoping the box will actually make it back to me so I can inspect the damage myself.  It’s been “coming back” for 2 + weeks now... :cry:

32 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I sent in a submission of mostly TMNT books for normal grading and CGC refused the package citing damage to the box.  Now I’m waiting in limbo, hoping the box will actually make it back to me so I can inspect the damage myself.  It’s been “coming back” for 2 + weeks now... :cry:

Sorry, hopefully it’s nothing serious. Did you insure the package?

4 hours ago, ectocooler said:

Sorry, hopefully it’s nothing serious. Did you insure the package?

Of course, but dealing with USPS insurance is an absolute nightmare and I don't want to give up on the books just yet.  I usually pack well...so I'm hoping the damage is just to the box and not the books inside.  Gotta stay positive.

6 hours ago, Icculus308win said:

Be interesting when a 9.8 of one these come up.
4 blue and 1 SS in census. I paid $1,100, with 29 bids in November of 2018 for this one. 

B656D872-EFB5-46CC-8584-E2D7C206CA44.thumb.png.33ae2cfe60bc0c3e90a70b6e87c07853.png

I’ve got 9.6 not sure how to value these 

On 4/5/2021 at 11:40 PM, Racerboy1 said:

That book is so hard to find in 9.8. @Icculus308win Maybe if you get tired of your copy, you can pass it along to me. LOL. I'm stuck now at 56 of 62 issues of Vol. 1 in 9.8.  😎🐢

@Racerboy1 Congrats on the recent Heritage sale and thanks for helping me out with my collection as well!