• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,291 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Yikes. Yet a 1st Print #1 CGC 9.6 can't pull half that.  

It's a cool cover.  April is sure busty. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-2-Mirage-Studios-1984-CGC-9-6-1st-App-April/174728003455?hash=item28ae99bf7f:g:XF4AAOSwzV5gcf0d

It's a 2nd Print #2 and this sale is better than the 90 day average of $441

1st print number 2 in 9.6 has a 90 day average of $1800

...and oh yes, April and her open jumpsuit always made me smile

1 minute ago, pubmonkey said:

It's a 2nd Print #2 and this sale is better than the 90 day average of $441

1st print number 2 in 9.6 has a 90 day average of $1800

...and oh yes, April and her open jumpsuit always made me smile

Good catch on the 2nd print!  I missed it.  

Patrick

On 4/10/2021 at 9:04 AM, ectocooler said:

Makes sense, he cashed out with the sale to Viacom back in 09. And before that he didn’t go to many cons anyway. Fans would have to make an emotional appeal rather than CGC making a financial one.

Btw 60 million for TMNT was a steal for Viacom in retrospect.

60 million and  believe they got back 400 million in sales the same year so def Laird could of settled for 100 million but at the end of the day when u get 60 million at his age I don’t think holding out for more would do him more good unless u roll the dice in Vegas on red 😳

28 minutes ago, Kalel38 said:

60 million and  believe they got back 400 million in sales the same year so def Laird could of settled for 100 million but at the end of the day when u get 60 million at his age I don’t think holding out for more would do him more good unless u roll the dice in Vegas on red 😳

I had a feeling they made that back real fast but that’s nuts!

On 4/18/2021 at 8:06 PM, Kalel38 said:

well, the 60m is net and the 400m is gross, but yeah I'm sure they did very well with it.   Good for them, I'm sure it was a risk and a lot of work too.

8 minutes ago, Bronty said:

well, the 60m is net and the 400m is gross, but yeah I'm sure they did very well with it.   Good for them, I'm sure it was a risk and a lot of work too.

My understanding is that the 60 million was also gross, and that of that 60 million, 10 million went to 4KIDS to buyout their rights, with The Mirage Group (then fully owned by Peter) getting the remainder.  

5 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

My understanding is that the 60 million was also gross, and that of that 60 million, 10 million went to 4KIDS to buyout their rights, with The Mirage Group (then fully owned by Peter) getting the remainder.  

No you misunderstand.   Key word "sales".    Not profit.

You might need 400m in sales to make the 50/60 in profit, after taxes btw, to make the investment.   I.e. the $400m doesn't rain down from the sky without further investment... it requires shows and product and further costs costs costs to create that level of sales.    Regardless, a big success I'm sure.

Edited by Bronty

28 minutes ago, Bronty said:

No you misunderstand.   Key word "sales".    Not profit.

You might need 400m in sales to make the 50/60 in profit, after taxes btw, to make the investment.   I.e. the $400m doesn't rain down from the sky without further investment... it requires shows and product and further costs costs costs to create that level of sales.    Regardless, a big success I'm sure.

Two different groups dealing with "sales".  Kalel was saying that Viacom paid Laird $60 million to buy the rights for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and then turned around and made $400 million in sales from now owning the Turtles, and that Laird probably could have held out for $100 million rather than sold for $60 million.  My comment was saying the full $60 million didn't go to Laird, $10 million went to 4Kids.  

Laird was basically doing nothing with the IP at that time. Viacom immediately started working on a new animated series and firing up the marketing and merchandising machine. I'd say Laird did quite well at the time, and Viacom is pleased with its purchase and, indirectly, IDW and Eastman are pleased with how that all worked out.