• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,291 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Mac Man said:
17 hours ago, sorrenmj said:

OK so your post was 05/30/2010. I'm from the future 05/13/2021 and I am here to tell you that your prediction of it leaving the realm of affordability for the common collector was spot on! See what it fetches now?!

:sumo:

How many copies did you put in your time capsule? :foryou:

38 minutes ago, sorrenmj said:

I have a confession to make, something that has been bothering me for 14 years! I had the chance to purchase a TMNT #1 first print for a very good price - very good price - and I let it go, sigh!

And many more! Lol yes it is the part of the hobby where looking at circumstances can be a bit :whatthe: Hopefully there were winners too, the what if game is a slippery slope lol

:tink:

I had something said to me by the LCS a long time ago, well when I got back in in 2014-15 I'll put it in a spoiler as it sounds serious, though just because it's sad but true and hit me lole a ton of bricks way back when.  :tonofbricks:

Spoiler

I was submitting some moderns like batman adventures annual 1 and so on

The LCS said why?

I said cause I like it and it's in good shape

He replied there is not a comic your going to buy in this shop that the next day you're going to make a million dollars!

Now that might seem out of the blue, but it hit home, cause he was right! That's the reality! Of every single day, the next day you're not going to be a millionaire. Now I responded to him I could buy IH 181? And currently I just had for $500, he responded, maybe.....

But none of us know the future.

I could see that he was sharing his experience, the fact that he was a LCS owner for crying out loud! I instinctively knew or something told me this LCS owner had been doing this a long time

And alas he was not a millionaire lol

Food for thought?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

8 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

And many more! Lol yes it is the part of the hobby where looking at circumstances can be a bit :whatthe: Hopefully there were winners too, the what if game is a slippery slope lol

I had something said to me by the LCS a long time ago, well when I got back in in 2014-15 I'll put it in a spoiler as it sounds serious, though just because it's sad but true and hit me lole a ton of bricks way back when.  :tonofbricks:

Hide contents

The LCS said why?

He replied there is not a comic your going to buy in this shop that the next day you're going to make a million dollars!

Now that might seem out of the blue, but it hit home, cause he was right! That's the reality! Of every single day, the next day you're not going to be a millionaire. Now I responded to him I could buy IH 181? And currently I just had for $500, he responded, maybe.....

I could see that he was sharing his experience, the fact that he was a LCS owner for crying out loud! I instinctively knew or something told me this LCS owner had been doing this a long time

Food for thought?

You just never know either way! Thanks a lot for the info - this is all helping

8 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Hide contents

The LCS said why?

Food for thought?

I just the value of IH 181, wow!

5 hours ago, sorrenmj said:

I just the value of IH 181, wow!

Yep I did alright with it lol

It's all gone up across the board it would seem, you'll do alright! That hulk I bought originally graded at 2.5 but to encourag, when the value went up I had it pressed and it got 3.0. Glad you're excited, hopefully there will be more turtles books!

That Laird signature is :x

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yep I did alright with it lol

It's all gone up across the board it would seem, you'll do alright! That hulk I bought originally graded at 2.5 but to encourag, when the value went up I had it pressed and it got 3.0. Glad you're excited, hopefully there will be more turtles books!

That Laird signature is :x

Even the low grades for 181 fetch big money it seems. Sounds like C&P is the way to go. I like the Laird signature, it looks good, done with care, not rushed. I personally asked Peter to sign it in 2008 and he said he would and this is what he sent me (thanks Peter!). Apart from the #1 first print I let go (eternal shame) I have collected most all of the TMNT comics from volume 1 thru volume 4. Glad I did it then not now though. Just one comic costs a  months pay check!

48 minutes ago, sorrenmj said:

Even the low grades for 181 fetch big money it seems. Sounds like C&P is the way to go. I like the Laird signature, it looks good, done with care, not rushed. I personally asked Peter to sign it in 2008 and he said he would and this is what he sent me (thanks Peter!). Apart from the #1 first print I let go (eternal shame) I have collected most all of the TMNT comics from volume 1 thru volume 4. Glad I did it then not now though. Just one comic costs a  months pay check!

^^

On 12/7/2010 at 6:45 PM, Turtle said:

:acclaim: You're right about that, Jeff. TMNT fans are great and seem to be in it for the love of the franchise. I've met quite a few knowledgeable Turtle fans here on the boards and every one of them has been friendly and encouraging. It makes collecting TMNT that much more enjoyable. :cloud9:

To answer kdoginohio's question, it's a tough call. It depends on how you want to narrow your search. I'm sure there are screen-used props from the first movie that are limited to 1. Original Art by its very nature is 1-of-a-kind. I'm sure there are plenty of other areas of TMNT collection that others are more knowledgeable about, but here are a few of the comics:

Turtlemania Gold - Limited to 10 with sigs from both creators and a sketch on the back cover.

Turtlemania Silver - Limited to 100 with sigs from both creators on the back

Gobbledygook #1&2 - Limited to 50, first appearance of the TMNT in an ad on the back.

TMNT #3 NYC Variant - Limited to 500, pulled from the printer for use at a show before the error was discovered. Looks similar to the normal #3, only missing the light blue colors.

TMNT #4 2nd print Error - Believed to be 800-1000, Tales of the TMNT cover art with the TMNT logo and #4 interiors. Another printing error.

Digital Webbing #24 - Limited to 500 copies, TMNT story.

I'm sure there are plenty of others (like the adult TMNT comic that ArchonTurtle has/had), but these were the ones with lower print runs that I know about.

Hi there, I know this is a long time after you posted but do you know how much Digital Webbing #24 - Limited to 500 copies sells for now? Is this an in demand title does anyone know? Thanks for any insight.

On 3/24/2011 at 9:48 PM, Turtle said:

I'm betting that has something to do with it, but to be fair, this not only came out well before the variant craze of the 90's, but it was an unintentional variant. Without having a normal edition to compare this to, I can see how the missing light blue color on the cover can fly under the radar. A big portion of the reason I like it is because it has a small story behind it. Most variants are around just to sell more copies, but this one was a pure accident.

I know this is some many years after you posted but reading this I kind of want to say I actually prefer the variant edition. It pops off the page a lot more to me. It's more striking for sure. I can definitely see a difference when compared. I seem to be the only fan of the variant edition. I have only just started catching up with the board, maybe I will read from another fans of the variant edition in time?